Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota Crisis Worsens, Cars Pulled From Rental Fleets, A Million More Cars Recalled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Crisis Worsens, Cars Pulled From Rental Fleets, A Million More Cars Recalled

Re: Toyota Crisis Worsens, Cars Pulled From Rental Fleets, A Million More Cars Recalled

Toyota is quickly becoming the Tiger Woods of the Auto Industry :P Almighty and ontop of the world one day, and the sky crashing down around them in short order. Which one will get back on top first? ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Re: Toyota Crisis Worsens, Cars Pulled From Rental Fleets, A Million More Cars Recalled

C'mon, Randal, you should know this one! Tiger...now, get back on top of whom, that is the question.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Chrysler ,Honda pumping up the ad volumes, GM offering incentives for Toyota owners to switch.
        Calm down people, its not the end of the world, I am not Pro Yota but Ford went through this with the SUV tire deal and look at them now. But it does offer US Mfg's a chance for a rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
          Chrysler ,Honda pumping up the ad volumes, GM offering incentives for Toyota owners to switch.
          Calm down people, its not the end of the world, I am not Pro Yota but Ford went through this with the SUV tire deal and look at them now. But it does offer US Mfg's a chance for a rebound.
          with ford.. the tire failed.. and firestone. hasn't recovered.. they don't call most there tires firestones anymore they are fusions now..there is a reason for that name change.. ;)

Comment

Firestone was Ford's scapegoat. Ford didn't want to admit they designed the damned Exploder to have its exhaust system too close to the tire which caused overheating of the sidewall. Firestone's only mistake was doing business with Ford.
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Firestone was Ford's scapegoat. Ford didn't want to admit they designed the damned Exploder to have its exhaust system too close to the tire which caused overheating of the sidewall. Firestone's only mistake was doing business with Ford.
              As I remember, the problem was the ladies wanting a softer ride from trucks & SUV's lowering the tire pressure below recommended pressures. This caused heating in the sidewalls and ultimately failure of the tires.

As for "Firestone's only mistake" - that's utter bullshit. Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone were camping and racing buddys way back in the day - that's a lot of history, and they made lots of money together. Hard to dismiss that because of a consumer-caused problem.

I have always preferred Firestones on all my vehicles, and never had a lick of trouble from them. They've served me well.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax

As I remember, the problem was the ladies wanting a softer ride from trucks & SUV's lowering the tire pressure below recommended pressures. This caused heating in the sidewalls and ultimately failure of the tires.
                And when the tires let go, people freaked out and started sawing the wheel or whatever, flipping the trucks. Learn To Drive comes to mind...

Comment

I have to tell my Explorer/Firestone failure here.....

We bought a 1994 Explorer when our family expanded. In 1996 with only about 25,000 miles on the truck I noticed that it would pull to the left.
                  I planned on having the front end checked anyway, but for some reason I jacked up the front and looked at the tires,both fronts had areas with only about 25% of the thread left,almost to the wear bars,then areas with full thread depth.I checked the rear tires and found the same.
                  Now I can't see how one could blame the exhaust when the tires on the left never where installed near the exhaust.In my case you can't blame the sticker tire pressure because I felt 28psi was way low and pumped them up to about 5psi below max,I think I ran 35 in them.
                  The tires where just crap,the cords separated internally and I didn't save the old ones to get my rebate when I changed all four the next day.

People that did not spend 3 years busting tires would have no idea what they where looking at if they had seen my tires.
                  BTW we drove that truck for another 100k miles and NEVER had a tire problem and I NEVER got it aligned either.

Comment

There is something strange about this deal with Toyota. I can't find anywhere that details exactly what the problem is. People keep saying "Floormats" and "pedals" but, frankly, I am going to bet that the problem is a core issue with their engine management systems.

Volvo and Airbus have both had problems like this - with catastrophic results.

I'm just gonna throw it out there, but I bet the fix in the end is either (a) a reflash of computer firmware on each car's computer, or (b) a replacment of the computer as the problem could be with hardware. If this were a problem withsticking pedals, or even a bad position sensor on the pedal, the replacements would be quick, and cheap, and done already.

Let's see what the fix ends up being. If any bangshift guys who are techs for a living can get any insight on this issue, please post up!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott, I keep reading that Toyota has come up with a "mechanical" fix to the problem. No specifics given, just those rather cryptic words.

My feeble mind also thinks that it is a computer related issue...it will be interesting to find out the specific fix Toyota has come up with
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
                        FWIW
                        We are still driving the same 1998 Ford Explorer that my wife got new when she was 18 (I drove it to work today). It has over 300k miles on it, we are on the second transmission and thats it other than brakes, alternator, idle air motor, etc. Never once did we/she ever have a tire problem. I dont think it ever had Firestones on it but her dad (and I) have always run the tires at max pressure (according to the sidewall of the tire). It still has the original exhaust on it too.
                        In my opinion Ford recommended running the tire pressure too low, and the steering on that thing is VERY sensitive/twitchy. One wrong yank of the wheel at speed, regardless of tires, and I have no doubt that you are going on your lid.
                        Oh yeah, it rides like shit with full pressure in the tires, it always has. But all in all, it has been a great vehicle for the last 12 years and I have no plans to get rid of it ever.

Comment

Dude, installing a ProCharger will improve the ride....trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            There is something strange about this deal with Toyota. I can't find anywhere that details exactly what the problem is. People keep saying "Floormats" and "pedals" but, frankly, I am going to bet that the problem is a core issue with their engine management systems.

Volvo and Airbus have both had problems like this - with catastrophic results.

I'm just gonna throw it out there, but I bet the fix in the end is either (a) a reflash of computer firmware on each car's computer, or (b) a replacment of the computer as the problem could be with hardware. If this were a problem withsticking pedals, or even a bad position sensor on the pedal, the replacements would be quick, and cheap, and done already.

Let's see what the fix ends up being. If any bangshift guys who are techs for a living can get any insight on this issue, please post up!
                            well, maybe ,but I don't think so.. as the ecu and firmware are different across the model lines.. BUT the throttle body and steppermotor/sensor is more than likely the same design.. just bigger for the v8's

Comment

What kinda mechanical solutions do you guys think could remedy this?

I've read that the supplier who makes the gas pedals can make 30,000 max per week....so far they are having to fix 2.3 million, plus whatever to pumping out of the factories, sitting on trains, trucks, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X