Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelelli Takes Pole For This Weekend's 24 Hours of Daytona

Re: Angelelli Takes Pole For This Weekend's 24 Hours of Daytona

Jimmie Johnson wadded his racecar into a ball the other day in testing.
    Wonder if he had trouble making a right turn? (LOL)
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Boy that sucks, and he was with one of the big teams.

I like the fact that you see alot of different drivers take a crack at this race. Unlike ALMS where the cars are significantly more complex, the DPs are relatively simple cars that most folk can get into and drive.

Comment

I know what you mean, the concept of those cars is cool and they seem to work well and are remarkably durable.
        They're just so damn ugly!
        I was watching the preview show and they were showing those vintage cars, McClarens, Lolas, etc. and man those things were works of art. Then they show the new stuff and yikes!

My favs' are the GT cars. That new Camaro is nice!

Comment

The shocking part about Angelelli's pole is that it was a Dallara chassis instead of a Riley.

Yeah the DPs are ugly as sin compared to most other prototypes. Although they aren't as bad looking in person as they are in pictures.

Some of the most fantastic prototype cars ever built raced at the Daytona 24. Too bad that its turned into a semi-spec series at the prototype level. But that probably has more to do with the overall domination by the Riley chassis.

Comment

Skinney tires, no down force, no horsepower, and they're ugly......stupid cars.....it amazes me that they can go that fast.

Toyota had the best support, but after they pulled out Ford seemed like the best choice. I would have thought the Chevy motor would be better then it is.

I love that race....I wish we would do it again
            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

got to ask,, in a race this long..does the pole READY matter.
              I understand it's a nice notch on your belt..
              but.. in a 24 hour race.. will it really matter.. cause there is no way anyone is pace'n the track at that rate for hours on end..

Comment

I think it's important to be near the front, not necessarily on pole so that you have clear track ahead at the start and for the first few laps at least your not in traffic and can avoid mid-pack shenanigans.

Comment

Mike's points are important, but in the grand scheme of things, naw, really is more important for publicity and sponsors.

I've seen guys at the 25 hours of Thunderhill race for the lead on the first lap out and break their cars. Utter stupidity.

Comment

Yes the pole is important. Did you see the times they were running? A 24 hour race is a sprint these days and it has been for a while. The pole was something like 1.40.8 and they were running1.42s in the race. They were flat out the whole race
                    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                    X