Speedy Says: Here are the Rules NASCAR Should Adopt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speedy Says: Here are the Rules NASCAR Should Adopt

Shouldnt it be more interesting to make body in whites,if Nascar where a venue for that kind of cars..i sure think so.

Comment

On the response on local racers building cars to kind of race up a series.
      That was done on a regional basis in North Carolina in the Winston Weekly Racing Series sometime back, I know it involved Hickory and Tri County, and maybe others. The winners of certain races in the top series at the track got to go to Charlotte and run a Busch car,I think it was called The Road to Charlotte, for when that Cup and Busch was in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        Mark, he was talking about factory available race cars. GM Produces none. Mopar builds the drag pack Challenger. All the models he listed are turn-key race cars right from Ford, not the 500KR which is a street car.
        Brian
        My guess is that GM and Fiat/Ferrari/Chrysler would build homologation cars, if not turn-key racers if a major, nationally-televised, production car-based series got off the ground. If not, the rules package is mostly designed to facilitate 1960s'-style small shop construction.

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
        On the response on local racers building cars to kind of race up a series.
        That was done on a regional basis in North Carolina in the Winston Weekly Racing Series sometime back, I know it involved Hickory and Tri County, and maybe others. The winners of certain races in the top series at the track got to go to Charlotte and run a Busch car,I think it was called The Road to Charlotte, for when that Cup and Busch was in town.
        A limited, NC-only, one Cup track development series probably isn't what Schtauffer had in mind. Because of the money and "beauty contest" elements of motorsports, there's probably no harder sport to move up in at present (unless you've got serious family connections or can write a lot of big checks for yourself).

Comment

american touring car was tried in 95 or 96 with honda - dodge - bmw - it was a bore and a complete failure

every car GM builds is a race car
          look at the staging lanes - ALL GM

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            american touring car was tried in 95 or 96 with honda - dodge - bmw - it was a bore and a complete failure

even the top mustangs don't run ford power

Comment

oh yeah - the pits in every bullring in the USA - all chevy
              watching tv is not attending races - my first nascar race attended was 1976 , 1 track alone [dover , I had a streak of 40 straight races going ]used to go to 9 races a year , had great conversations with richard childress , chocolate meyers , kyle petty , riki rachtmann , lisa petty , leonard wood , junior johnson , cale yarborough
              just being a kid , hanging on the garage fence
              same seats QQQ row 45 seats 1-2-3 petty grandstand
              the fans go through herculian efforts to attend races- sittin on the couch is easy
              wanna make it in racing? - wear jeans - eat beans and work all night , says dale earnhardt , a poor example of ford chauffeuring - but a true hero to all

Comment

I saw the first american touring car race at lime rock - GM was busy beating on ferraris with wayne taylor's aurora

Comment

Look at Hot rodding,and go back to the roots.

Look at Nascar,and wish they did the same.

Comment

"every car GM builds is a race car"

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                    Look at Hot rodding,and go back to the roots.

Look at Nascar,and wish they did the same.
                    And the roots are in production car racing, not in non-production "common template" silhouette decal racers like NASCAR's running now. Even a 1948 NASCAR modified had more in common with an OEM production car than the COT.

I saw the first american touring car race at lime rock - GM was busy beating on ferraris with wayne taylor's aurora
                    Not that Taylor's Aurora was anything like the FWD Oldsmobile sold to the general public. Hence part of the disconnect. BTW, haven't you expressed a hatred for road racing on here before?

Comment

Looks like a lot of rules that would be more difficult to enforce than there are now. If you want to go showroom stock racing, or any of its variants, why not say so directly. Most series' rules get further and further away from their original intent primarily because the participants want the changes. Don't you think that most racers will seek "The Unfair Advantage"? By the way, Humpy Wheeler doesn't own any racetracks, however Bruton Smith/Speedway Motorsports does. vic
                      vic NASCARland

Comment

the che-bang-it will put yer mustang2/pinto a lap down
                        at the same time taylor's aurora prototype was the monster - the quad 4 olds acheiva was doing the same to the v tec hondas in showroom stock

Comment

humpy gave the track it's soul
                          charlotte rules

Comment

Originally posted by krusty
                            Looks like a lot of rules that would be more difficult to enforce than there are now. If you want to go showroom stock racing, or any of its variants, why not say so directly. Most series' rules get further and further away from their original intent primarily because the participants want the changes. Don't you think that most racers will seek "The Unfair Advantage"? By the way, Humpy Wheeler doesn't own any racetracks, however Bruton Smith/Speedway Motorsports does. vic
                            1. Rules enforcement is not easy in any "rules limited" series. However, enforcement in a series that requires VINs, production dimensions, part numbers, and mostly bolt-on parts is easier. For example, if the part doesn't bolt on to the sanctioning body's jig/exemplar, it fails. If the sheet metal doesn't pass the same pressure test as a stocker, it fails. If the VINs are messed with, the FBI is called.

2. Racers are racers. Unscrupulous ones will try to cheat regardless of the rules package. But production-based rules together with strict enforcement and heavy publicity for apprehended cheaters can provide a disincentive to cheating. Don't discount the effect of heavy fines and bad publicity on the flow of sponsorship dollars. Just ask Renault's F1 team.

3. I corrected the Humpy mistake above. You're correct, Bruton Smith and SMI are the co-oligopolists with the France family's International Speedway Corp.

at the same time taylor's aurora prototype was the monster - the quad 4 olds acheiva was doing the same to the v tec hondas in showroom stock
                            Really? I'd like to see the comparative sales figures that prove your claim. My recollection is that the Achieva didn't really set the sales world on fire and that the star-crossed Quad Four had already been replaced by the LD9 Twin Cam 2.4. Moreover, the Taylor's Aurora had virtually no relationship to the bland FWD sleds that killed the storied Oldsmobile brand.

charlotte rules
                            Perhaps that's why they've built so many "cookie cutter" copies of it and cut back at historic tracks such as North Wilkesboro, Rockingham and Darlington. And we see how that's worked out . . . .

Comment

guess you don't know what showroom stock is..
                              it isn't sales numbers :

your so smart. why not start your own racing class..
                              it can be all fords all the time...
                              I'd be board stiff if any class was all g.m.
                              I'd if I was you .. go to a race.. a southern nascar race..
                              and plant your ideas on the fans...
                              they don't want a stock bodied car.. they fought tooth and nail to try to keep ford from running a 4 door..
                              your ideas will only get drivers killed..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                                guess you don't know what showroom stock is..
                                it isn't sales numbers :
                                Sorry, I misread your message.

your so smart. why not start your own racing class..
                                I don't have any tracks or the millions it would require to start a series. Sorry.

it can be all fords all the time...
                                That's not what I suggested at all. Please re-read the proposed rules.

I'd be board stiff if any class was all g.m.
                                Then you must have hated NASCAR during much of the 1970s (although the Petty Dodges, Allison's T-Bird, and the Wood Brothers did add in a little Brand X spice to the show)

I'd if I was you .. go to a race.. a southern nascar race..
                                Have done so in the past.

and plant your ideas on the fans...
                                they don't want a stock bodied car.. they fought tooth and nail to try to keep ford from running a 4 door..
                                Really? Then they must LOVE the COT.

I guarantee that if we did a scientific poll, the majority of fans would like a lot more "stock" in NASCAR.

your ideas will only get drivers killed..
                                Proof? Are drivers dying at higher rates in other production-based series? In sports car series? Wouldn't FIA/SFI oversight reduce deaths and injuries?

Comment

Working...
                                X