X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedy Says: Here are the Rules NASCAR Should Adopt

Re: Speedy Says: Here are the Rules NASCAR Should Adopt

I'll start..
    HAVE YOU EVEN BEEN TO A RACE LIVE?????????????????????????????????????

Comment

All the manufacturers are bleeding so bad now there is no way they can support "stock" vehicles

Its better for them to toss $10M to a team and have them build a car then get involved on the OEM side to build a racer. Realities of life

Comment

Now this sounds like a race series i would watch! ;D
        BUT it'll probably never happen :-\

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
          I'll start..
          Many races.

I'll take you reaction as a "no" vote :D

Originally posted by mrmustangman357
          All the manufacturers are bleeding so bad now there is no way they can support "stock" vehicles

Its better for them to toss $10M to a team and have them build a car then get involved on the OEM side to build a racer. Realities of life
          That would explain the Mustang FR500 Cobra Jet, the FR500C, the FR500S, the FR500GT4 . . . .

Originally posted by 1978NovaCaine
          Certainly the part about the VIN numbers (Rule 1), competition air conditioners (Rule 26) and mandatory license plates (Rule 27) won't happen. On the other hand, it WOULD be an interesting formula for an oval track-inclusive version of Drag Week/One Lap of America.

Comment

Air conditioning? Really?

Have you considered where the condensation from the evaporator core will go? You start racing these things in hot and humid Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas and you better have a mop ready for all that water.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

How about NASCAR opening up a test series with a playoff system to see if it works? That is, local racers bringing stock cars to local tracks, and the top 3-10 or whatever are qualified to go to divisional races, where they qualify for the national race?

It would create a local pride thing like you have in stick and ball sports.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                I'll start..
                Many races.

I'll take you reaction as a "no" vote :D

Originally posted by mrmustangman357

That would explain the Mustang FR500 Cobra Jet, the FR500C, the FR500S, the FR500GT4 . . . .

Originally posted by 1978NovaCaine
                Certainly the part about the VIN numbers (Rule 1), competition air conditioners (Rule 26) and mandatory license plates (Rule 27) won't happen. On the other hand, it WOULD be an interesting formula for an oval track-inclusive version of Drag Week/One Lap of America.
                ford all the time..
                media bais is why we have the zcars and hitlir the II in the whitehouse..

Comment

This sounds like Touring Car Classes....
                  I don't think so - not on the big ovals like Talladega.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                    yup.
                    funny.. people are so quick to tell nascar how to run their show, but they are still the #1 motorsport viewed not only in the U.S. OF A.
                    but the world..
                    cart and irl would love to have nascars bad years..

Comment

1) Humpy dont own a cup series race track, Humpy isnt even in racing now, maybe your thinking of Bruton Smith.
                      2) That seems like the rule book from the Koni Challenge series ,which is owned by NASCAR anyway.

Comment

Generally, I like....IMHO ....as far as the American Touring Car series..... that's what Nascar should have become. Much more interesting in its brief life than COT of today

Item 20 - I would not limit to V8s, while I will only drive bent eights until poverty disallows it, expanding engine cylinders is more alligned with the stock of today and will help the OEMs with the technology they're selling. Would be interesting to see what an Duratec v6 in an American version Falcon would do against a Pentastar/Phoenix v6 Charger

Item 26 - not so much

Good ideas speedy, I hope the France's read your post
                        a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                          1) Humpy dont own a cup series race track, Humpy isnt even in racing now, maybe your thinking of Bruton Smith.
                          2) That seems like the rule book from the Koni Challenge series ,which is owned by NASCAR anyway.
                          1. You are correct. I was thinking of Bruton Smith, or more formally Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Sorry for the error.
                          2. Certainly the success of the Continental Tire Challenge, nee Koni Challenge, should inspire all sorts of production-based formulae.

ford all the time..
                          media bais is why we have the zcars [political comment omitted]
                          How are the proposed rules biased toward Fords?

BTW, aren't many local short track rules packages biased toward the SBC? E.g. must use GM metric frame & engine brand must match.
                          Originally posted by Schtauffer
                          How about NASCAR opening up a test series with a playoff system to see if it works? That is, local racers bringing stock cars to local tracks, and the top 3-10 or whatever are qualified to go to divisional races, where they qualify for the national race?

It would create a local pride thing like you have in stick and ball sports.
                          In the past, I've thought about a similar idea as a way to breathe life into historic tracks like Nashville fairgrounds, Milwaulkee, Rockingham and North Wilkesboro while balancing NASCAR's need for national venues. But NASCAR's prior history with regional series (e.g. Winston West, Busch North) suggests that fans really only turn out en masse to see all of the stars together.

If NASCAR were really a true meritocracy, there would be better paths for participation from regional drivers and part-timers, to qualfy for national events. The controversial "go or go home" rule, the insistence on almost wholly racer-fabricated NASCARs instead of production-based cars, and the virtual necessity for backing from a multi-million dollar "super team" to compete suggest that NASCAR has little interest in the dreams of undiscovered sportsmen racers trying to "race their way" into the "show." For better or worse, Cup racing is now a very expensive, exclusive club (which is completely unlike the origins of the sport).
                          Originally posted by Ron Ward
                          Air conditioning? Really?

Have you considered where the condensation from the evaporator core will go? You start racing these things in hot and humid Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas and you better have a mop ready for all that water.

Ron
                          Please re-read rule 26: "Evaporator condensation must be captured in a one-gallon catch tank and drained on each pit stop." While I admit that air conditioning is way out there, I do believe that (a) like power steering, it would make racing much safer and more competitive by reduction of driver fatigue; (b) if everyone had to run it and there wasn't an easy way to cheat on it that most racers would grow to love it; (c) at the sorts of power levels of a built 5.2/2.5 turbo engine, the extra load of air conditioning would be fractional; (d) it would likely lead to some amazing developments in HVAC technology.

Originally posted by arrowhead

Item 20 - I would not limit to V8s, while I will only drive bent eights until poverty disallows it, expanding engine cylinders is more alligned with the stock of today and will help the OEMs with the technology they're selling. Would be interesting to see what an Duratec v6 in an American version Falcon would do against a Pentastar/Phoenix v6 Charger
                          I deliberated on this point a lot while writing the rules.

But I decided that the rules should be configured to encourage the continuation V8 engine production and RWD. They made the right choice down under with the V8 supercar rules. I'm firmly committed to the idea that even if future enthusiast/competition engines must be smaller for political/legal reasons, they should remain V8s. I'd much rather buy a 2.0 V8 than a 2.0 four (or, horrors, 2.0 three!)

There is a certain amount of tradition and historical cachet that V8 power brings. And I say this while owning a number of high-performance vehicles with LESS than eight cylinders. Besides, I remember the awful racket of the Busch series in the almost forgotten V6 era, as well as the mini-stocks of today.

Originally posted by studemax
                          Come on, when Bill Elliott ran Brent Hajek's Mustang FR500C at Talladega, there wasn't even a little tinge of curiosity about how such production-based cars would run there?

What amazes me is that back in the 1950s, crowds loved the ~ 150 mph roadster shows at the 2.5 mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but now we think the "need for speed" is such that folks wouldn't root for "Junior" in a real stock car on a 2.5-2.66 mile oval.

I guess I was warped by reading the exploits of former Daytona International Speedway board member Tom McCahill, who routinely tested pure showroom stock street cars on the 33-degree high banks. If Junior Johnson could invent drafting in a bat-winged '59 Chevy that was so stock you could drive it on the Hot Rod Power Tour with the addition of lights and mufflers, then production cars with modern safety equipment could race the high bank "big tracks" today.

Comment

your listing of only fords in your thread..
                            thats how.
                            mustang 500 500kr etc etc etc
                            nice try..
                            you want to blog and people take your stories as news.. or info..
                            leave the bias toward ford at the door..
                            I'm a g.m. guy..
                            but I'm not blogging ..

Comment

Mark, he was talking about factory available race cars. GM Produces none. Mopar builds the drag pack Challenger. All the models he listed are turn-key race cars right from Ford, not the 500KR which is a street car.

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X