X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38P
    replied
    Re: Speedy Says: Here are the Rules NASCAR Should Adopt

According to a print-only piece in the latest issue of Autoweek (thanks Team Ford Racing for the comp), all the talk of NASCAR making drastic specifications changes is way overblown.

Without specifically mentioning Autoextremist Peter M. DeLorenzo's blog, the AW piece suggests that only one OEM honcho met with NASCAR and that even modest changes to align the hideous COT with production-style specifications (e.g. fuel injection) are not imminent. The brief report was filled with quotes about how thrilled all the OEMs (even "killer car" builder 'Yoda) are with the "return on investment" in NASCAR.

Who knew Brian France had so much stroke at AW?

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied

JAMIE FRED MCMURRAY HAS THE POLE for tomorrow
    my boy is HOTT with rcr engines

Leave a comment:

• IRONHEAD
    Guest replied

Oh English Major..
    didn't see the letters PhD after your screen name..
    I'd love to not be dyslexic

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
    Originally posted by min301
    My point was on the snide remarks, and again, name calling.

when people can get my screen name right.. you can bitch about a wise @$$ name in a post..
    fair
    When you can talk(and spell) like an adult, maybe I'll back off,
    until then, don't hold your breath. Or, maybe you should... :P

Leave a comment:

• IRONHEAD
    Guest replied

when people can get my screen name right.. you can bitch about a wise @$$ name in a post..
    fair

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IRONHEAD
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Not A Duster
    Bullshit. As usual.

And also as usual - you try to lie your way out of it.

Go back and look at the post - you quoted Supersport and me - Speedy was nowhere near the post.

Liar.

And y`know - next time you decide to use big words in an effort to insult someone, try spelling them properly. The word you tried to use is spelled: b-r-a-i-n-i-a-c.
    sorry I thought I replied to speedy..
    again sorry..
    it was directed towards speedy.. not you...
    AND I KNOW WHO I AM..
    WHO ARE YOU.. are you are you are you..
    the who rocks

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Bullshit. As usual.

Go back and look at the post - you quoted Supersport and me - Speedy was nowhere near the post.

Liar.

And y`know - next time you decide to use big words in an effort to insult someone, try spelling them properly. The word you tried to use is spelled: b-r-a-i-n-i-a-c.
    LMAO! OWNED!

Leave a comment:

• Not A Duster
    Guest replied

Bullshit. As usual.

Liar.

Leave a comment:

• IRONHEAD
    Guest replied

hay brainyac
    sports ARE entertainment..
    why else would american's watch tv for hours every year.. on motorsport/ski'n/baseball/foolball/basketball/etc/etc/etc
    cause it's ENTERTAINMENT.. otherwise they'd be out doing it.. out play'n baseball or whatever with their buddies..
    wow your a smartie
    No... really - you think? Well jeez I didn't know any of that all those years of working in the entertainment industry must have taught me nothing. Thanks for enlightening me.

Who the #### do you think you are?
    next time read the post it was a reply to speedy..
    so what does. you working the entertainment industry have to so with speedy..
    nothing.....
    WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE..
    unless your speedy.. your post is pointless

Leave a comment:

• Not A Duster
    Guest replied

hay brainyac
    why else would american's watch tv for hours every year.. on motorsport/ski'n/baseball/foolball/basketball/etc/etc/etc
    cause it's ENTERTAINMENT.. otherwise they'd be out doing it.. out play'n baseball or whatever with their buddies..
    wow your a smartie
    No... really - you think? Well jeez I didn't know any of that all those years of working in the entertainment industry must have taught me nothing. Thanks for enlightening me.

Who the #### do you think you are?

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Without today's NASCAR there'd be no drag week? no LSR? I kinda doubt it. Gate dollars are a small fraction of the money that NASCAR brings in (when compared to sponsorship/advertising income), I don't see much of it trickling into LSR or drag week. Maybe the regional SCCA type racing perhaps?
    I didn't say that grassroots racing would be over without pro racing. Nor did I say that there would be no development of aftermarket parts. LIke SilverBuick says, "where there's a will, there's a way." Megasquirt is a prime example of that.

But without fan-supported racing, many of the aftermarket companies would be a lot smaller and there would be less R&D. Technology would begin to stagnate even more than it already has. OEMs would cut dollars invested in motorsports R&D and parts operations. Technology transfers from pro to sportsman racing would end. Sportsman racing didn't "pay the R&D" costs to develop and perfect such things as CGI blocks, CNC heads, high r.p.m. roller valvetrains, advanced dry sump lubrication systems, coatings, clutchless transmissions, advanced low-tension ring packages, "bulletproof" drivelines, sticky tires, fire suits, aerodynamic aids and many other motorsports advances. These technologies were initially developed and "paid for" in professional racing and have "trickled down" to sportsman-level competition. While DIY people can be remarkably innovative, most of the "low hanging" hot rodding fruit is gone and the true bombshell developments tend to flow now from scrappy organizations that serve professional, fan-supported racing.

You discount "gate" money, but sponsorship and television revenue are also driven more by fan popularity than any other factor. That's common sense. An ad in Hot Rod costs more than an ad in on somebody's vanity blog. Why? EXPOSURE! Exposure is directly linked with the entertainment factor. Folks wouldn't subscribe or spend $5.00 a month on Hot Rod if they were not entertained. It is the same with racing.

To some degree, but you're talking to an avid DIYer. I'm not scared of losing NASCAR to keep the *HOBBY* that I love, going strong. Now, for someone who wants to be a big famous racer on TV (there's that Fan thing again), because that's what they watch at home on TV, then I group those people in the same category as those who want to become movie or TV stars. I wish them the best of luck, knowing that even if they are great actors, they have a 1 in 100,000 chance of becoming that big movie star.
    But some of those fans will be inspired to build a short track car or a NASCAR-style engine for bracket racing (even if its the old production-based style of NASCAR-inspired mill). Others will "benchmark" professional racing power levels with their "power adder" builds for street and strip. (I don't know how many times I've heard about how world-conquering that two-valve pushrod carbureted engines are because of their high profile use in NASCAR.) Lots of kids will get "hooked" on motorsports because of their first exposure through television and/or attending big-time races. And even if these kids have a "1 in 100,000 chance" of turning pro, they may still get involved at lower levels of the sport. Such involvement supports all sorts of racing-related businesses.

Most certainly, NASCAR doesn't appeal to every Bangshifter. Most certainly, NASCAR's rules have made it much less relevant to the OEMS. Most certainly there are other professional motorsports that do as much or more to develop racing parts and technologies. But to suggest that fan-supported racing simply doesn't have a positive effect on sportsman racing is unreasonably myopic.

Sorry, D/G, Ironhead has a good point.

Brian said it well in the SEMA "take a friend to a race in August" post:

We're obviously big proponents of racing in all of its forms. There are few places we'd rather be than at a race track, even better if we're driving, but even if we are holding down the bleachers we love it all the same. The fact remains that the racing industry is a large part of the world of aftermarket performance parts. From exhaust systems for dirt bikes all the way up to pistons and rods for top fuelers, many people in this country make their way by providing parts to racers. Supporting the tracks and events they compete at, help to keep the industry viable and as they say, a rising tide floats all ships.
    http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Start-...in-August.html

Leave a comment:

• IRONHEAD
    Guest replied

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
    only the diehards would even know about if. if not in hot rod/etc .
    same with the silverstate race and ones like it..
    your a diy guy.. most are.. but some parts your not gonna just make in a basic garage..
    if bigger injectors where not aval. you're not gonna build them in your garage, forming the parts and injection molds. are not diy..
    Not many people know of the Silver State race anyways, even in Nevada. And where there's a will there's a way. If bigger injectors are not available, the parts to drive more smaller ones are. If you have to run 16, 24, what ever number of injectors, the parts are available to build something that can run that many to get the fuel flow you need. Carbs at one time couldn't flow enough either, they started multiplying in the intake until, surprise!, bigger carbs were made. Never under estimate the DIY's.
    where there is a will there will always be a way..
    but... isn't great that oyu don't have to, because the parts are aval.?
    not many people are gonna load up a cad program and cnc a head out of alum billet or make cast molds..
    same with intakes./pistons and on and on..
    just look at fords.. untill the foxbody and 302's.. the aftermarket didn't do much.and every rod you saw (well not all 99.8%) had a small block chevy..
    this alone proves the point... without the parts. alot of people are not gonna.. run it.. and if there where non.. the pool of people building their own would be small.. and the hobby would be also

Leave a comment:

• IRONHEAD
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Super Sport
    I apologize if this has been brought up, but..

I think that one of the largest obstacles to any substantive changes to the form of the cars is that to the current generation of "regular" or casual fans, the implication of the changes would be lost. Also, when compared to the personalities of the drivers, the drama, and some of the other factors that NASCAR has willingly allowed to be played up for ratings and money, most people could care less about technical factors involved in the cars. I don't subscribe to this personally, but I think it still applies. And it's the regular/casual folks that pay the freight. Buy the T-shirts, jackets, collectible cars, etc.

It's like the whole "Chicks dig the long ball" thing in Baseball. Hardcore fans love a good pitching duel like nothing else, but it's the 1-0 games that the casual fans bitch about the most. And they pump the money into the sport.
    At which point, it's no longer sport, , it's entertainment.
    hay brainyac
    wow your a smartie

Don't push it with the attitude, buddy....
    the mighty min has spoken..
    was it directed to you.. NO..
    so.. why don't your reply when I'm posting a question to you.. and keep your two bits here

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

only the diehards would even know about if. if not in hot rod/etc .
    same with the silverstate race and ones like it..
    your a diy guy.. most are.. but some parts your not gonna just make in a basic garage..
    if bigger injectors where not aval. you're not gonna build them in your garage, forming the parts and injection molds. are not diy..
    Not many people know of the Silver State race anyways, even in Nevada. And where there's a will there's a way. If bigger injectors are not available, the parts to drive more smaller ones are. If you have to run 16, 24, what ever number of injectors, the parts are available to build something that can run that many to get the fuel flow you need. Carbs at one time couldn't flow enough either, they started multiplying in the intake until, surprise!, bigger carbs were made. Never under estimate the DIY's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X