Re: Gearhead History: Name the First V8 Powered Car in America

there should be one in dedham ma

Comment

Great story Brian .. and you got me !!
      ;D

Comment

My guess is you weren't happy enough with shoes being Abington's claim to fame.

Comment

:D
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brian, so when are you going to be buying the building and turning it into the BS world headquarters??

Comment

Originally posted by Nik2
              Brian, so when are you going to be buying the building and turning it into the BS world headquarters??

Wouldn't that be the coolest? Don't think that the thought has not crossed my warped mind. I "kinda" know the family that runs the pizza shop. I was going to ask if I could poke around some of the dark corners of the building to see if there was any cool stuff left in there.

The "leasing" business in the rear of the building seemed to be leasing a lot of cars that were chopped into pieces. I didn't spend a lot of time back there. :o

Comment

Brian, after reading the story, I had to do some searching for the Buffum just to find out more info on it. I came across this link about Glen Breed and saw he actually raced one in 1906, a mile long uphill race. What's amazing is they had a racing circuit even then and crowned their champions. ;D

Here's another that has a pic of the 8 cylinder race car built by Buffum.

Comment

Man that is an awesome find, I had no idea that information was even out there. I'm going to pass it to the historical society in town!

Thanks!

Brian

Comment

Hell, I'm still looking. Check the other link I just added to that post.
                    Amazon even sells a book about your town. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by sedandelivery55
                      Hell, I'm still looking. Check the other link I just added to that post.

Dude, you're killing it!

I am almost 100% certain that the shot of the long car with the flat motor was taken directly across the street from the factory building. The ornate railing in the background seems to match some that is stored at the historical society building. Last time I saw it was years ago, but it is pretty distinctive.

AWESOME stuff

Comment

Brian, did you find out where in Oklahoma the last one was supposed to be? I live near Oklahoma City and would like to find it. A few pics of the last surviving one would go nice on your wall. ;D That's what I was searching for, a location but couldn't find any info.

Comment

Brad Buffum of Tulsa apparently has it.

How far away are you from there?

Comment

About an hour and half to two hour drive.  I live on the south side of OKC.  I wonder if we could get permission for a visit? 

Comment

I've located him and have his phone number.

Let me call tomorrow and see where it goes.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X