Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Superbowl Car Ads: Speedy Picks the Winners, Watch Them Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Superbowl Car Ads: Speedy Picks the Winners, Watch Them Here!

Re: The Superbowl Car Ads: Speedy Picks the Winners, Watch Them Here!

Charger FTMFW! There was a bit on the national news last night about how the superbowl ads were too "sexist" this year. The girl they interviewed commented on how shocked she was at how vicious some of them were and used the Charger ad as the example. Of course she also looked and sounded like the exactly the type of woman that inspired it.

The ranking for that one is a little off I think. Every dude without a mangina voted for it-every woman went out of her way to vote against it.

The Green Police for a close second-someone has to stand up to the eco-nazis. If you look at the comments about it on autoblog green they are PISSED-great I say. I wouldn't take a free Audi, but they have my support.

All the rest are weak.

Comment

The Charger commercial captured engine audio in a way that hasn't been heard in a long time, sounded like low rpm grunt than most high buzzing sounding engines today.

I liked the 2020 MVP Award one the most with Bret Farve, Bridgestone one with the Killer Whale I laughed pretty hard. Then the Dorrito's one with the kid who says, "You better not touch my dorrito's or my Mom" haha.

Oh yeah, the casual friday Careerbuilder.com commercial too.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

if the latest Charger ads like this one and the 'manbag' don't move the needle on Dodge sales, Sergio Marchionne is in a hot goop of merda and there will not be many more days in the Mopar brand's future. I, for one, want these ads to rev the cash register!
        a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
          The Charger commercial captured engine audio in a way that hasn't been heard in a long time, sounded like low rpm grunt than most high buzzing sounding engines today.
          One of the interesting things about the latest Mopar Hemi cars is the exhaust note. I first noticed it when I tested a SRT-8 back in 2006. Stock, the Hemi cars have a relatively huge common chamber toward the back of the dual exhausts (not sure if it's classified as a resonator or a muffler). This big chamber seems to pump up the low frequency tones better than anything on any of the other Detroit V8s. It does mute the bank-to-bank "burble" more at idle, tending to combine the pulse sounds into a simply wicked constant rumble.

While I'm not an accoustic engineer, ever since I heard my first gasoline big block in a bob-tail dump truck thump out that low metallic grumble under load (and compared it to similar-sized engines rasping through the 2" glasspacks that were ubiquitous when I was a kid) I've theorized that the large volume of a truck muffler and pipe naturally resonates at a lower frequency than the mufflers and pipes typical on automotive applications. It's roughly the same way a pulse of air through a pipe organ works. You can get a little bit of this effect with big "megs" tips. To a certain extent, it's also why your "built" car sounds so "right" in a tunnel. I've often wanted to test my theories by piping a small block's exhaust into a 55 gallon drum-based muffler to experiment with resonance frequencies and sound-tuning inserts, but I've just never had the time.

I suspect the Chrysler engineers have figured out a good way to pass the drive-by noise emission tests and still provide a near big-block sound through the use of an oversized resonance cavity in the exhaust. And the audio engineers on the commercial did a great job of capturing (and maybe enhancing) the Hemi's natural growl.

Btw, I've noticed that most aftermarket exhaust systems tend to reduce the size of this oddly-shaped mega resonator.

Too bad the women don't like the "Man's Last Stand" spot. But I guess they "can't handle the truth!" :D

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
            I've theorized that the large volume of a truck muffler and pipe naturally resonates at a lower frequency than the mufflers and pipes typical on automotive applications. It's roughly the same way a pulse of air through a pipe organ works.
            Just going on the sound of Goliath at idle through it's big ass, old school, truck muffler, I am agreeing. The straight six really sounds cool lumping away at 600 rpm. It isn't a hollow sound, but more like a nice full rumbling. That of course goes away in a hurry and it sounds like a sixer again, but the big muffler definitely seems to stretch those sound waves out.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
              I've theorized that the large volume of a truck muffler and pipe naturally resonates at a lower frequency than the mufflers and pipes typical on automotive applications. It's roughly the same way a pulse of air through a pipe organ works.
              Just going on the sound of Goliath at idle through it's big ass, old school, truck muffler, I am agreeing. The straight six really sounds cool lumping away at 600 rpm. It isn't a hollow sound, but more like a nice full rumbling. That of course goes away in a hurry and it sounds like a sixer again, but the big muffler definitely seems to stretch those sound waves out.
              Agreed. More case volume=deeper tone (and more power!). I had a pair of huge early seventies Imperial single exhaust mufflers on my 454 Suburban and it was one of the best sounding cars I ever had.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Beverly D'Angelo. Dr. Meat would love to schedule a physical for her. Yum

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on the Kia ad. We don't have any toddlers here and my wife was curious what a red dildo had to do with the rest of the toys in the back seat.
                  GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

The hilarious thing was that my wife and I knew exactly who that guy was. With a 3 and 1 year old, Yo Gabba Gabba is evening viewing for the family.

It is a WEIRD ass show, but the kids dig it, and there are lots of moments of unintentional adult funny.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      The hilarious thing was that my wife and I knew exactly who that guy was. With a 3 and 1 year old, Yo Gabba Gabba is evening viewing for the family.

It is a WEIRD ass show, but the kids dig it, and there are lots of moments of unintentional adult funny.

Brian
                      Thank you for giving me another reason to pass along why I don't have kids.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The joy of children is worth having to sit through a few moments of watching the weird dude with the 'fro and the orange jumpsuit hop around with the one-eyed ribbed rubber man on "Yo Gabba Gabba." Of course if you make me watch "Sponge Bob" I might change my mind. . . . ;D

Comment

If you've never experienced the "don't bite your friends" song on Yo Gabba Gabba, it's worth a look. :D

Comment

Working...
                          X