No announcement yet.

Mississippi Becomes the Thirty-Ninth State To Ban Nitrous In Street Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississippi Becomes the Thirty-Ninth State To Ban Nitrous In Street Cars

Originally posted by ponchoman
    There are two sets of "wrong" people here.

1) The jackasses who were being chased and caused the entire thing. Let's not forget that the cop was not in the wrong here. The criminals were. Regardless of how they were caught, they should be prosecuted to the maximum - and I hope they never ever get out of jail, and are put in a cell with a 350 pound sexual deviant. These are the jerks who make things difficult for people in our hobby. We all get painted with their brush.

2) The jackasses who are over-reacting and penalizing the wrong people. Do they really believe that because they pass a law, somebody who is already guilty of driving with complete reckless abandon will somehow decide to obey "the NEW law" when they never obeyed the old ones?

You'll find no disagreement here, unless you subscribe to the legal "butterfly effect" of Transferred Intent. And please don't interpret my thoughts on the trooper's demise as apathy. I worked as a Reserve in a local Sheriff's Department for 13 years. The experience enlightened me to a lot of things. One of the most disturbing revelations was that our best and brightest kids do NOT grow up to become public servants, especially legislators. Knee-jerking when writing laws is the rule with most of these types, not the exception, and they read the Constitution a time or two when they were in college, but just to pass that damned exam...

Unfortunately, I fear we have a diminishing returns curve with Law Enforcement recruitment too. That's probably a totally different discussion though.

Finally, there is a very important third component in our soup, and that is the media. It's their hand that holds that broad brush you are referring to, and they have no scruples about whom they paint with it. It's very important to challenge them at every opportunity in public forums like Editorial pages, web pages, ads, and the like.

Sorry about the rant. But i've really gotten to the point where I feel like the word "ban" is the ugliest word in the English language.

Comment

Working...
    X