Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freaky Carnage Video: Fuel Altered Stuck In Reverse, Flips Over the Push Truck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaky Carnage Video: Fuel Altered Stuck In Reverse, Flips Over the Push Truck!

Re: Freaky Carnage Video: Fuel Altered Stuck In Reverse, Flips Over the Push Truck!

I saw it, I believe it - and the video is so bad it doesn't matter.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Re: Freaky Carnage Video: Fuel Altered Stuck In Reverse, Flips Over the Push Truck!

I'm not saying I could drive one...but modern Fuel Altereds are just funny car chassis with a roadster body, no? Seems like they should handle about the same as a funny car. Obviously they dont have the aerodynamics of a full body, I suppose that means less downforce and therefore maybe poor handling. But they go slower than a modern FC. A proper, 95 inch wheelbase, direct drive fuel altered is what Brian describes, but I just don't see it with the current so called AA/FA's. I think some circuits even ban what they call "transformers".
      In this case, why not pull the fuel shutoff? Could it be the same reason for poor handling moderen Altereds, which would be less experienced drivers? Again, I'm not saying I could drive one, I wouldn't even try.

Comment

I don't even pretend to understand the classification system. Much was made about a guy (Ellis?) at the Winternationals the other day running a car classified AP, where the P stood for Planetary, I think, but having never done any sanctioned (or legal) drag racing, I don't know.

I do know that it must have translated to pain, considering how common it is for track staff, crew, friends, etc to occupy the area directly behind a car after a burnout. Hope no one was there, but the video quality was a big rough.

Comment

That was Tim Hay in his Hayride AA/FA out of Texas. He had fixed the car and was out a month or so later.

Pulling the fuel shut-off in that case would have only been worse. When you pull the shut-off the motor leans out and the RPM goes up. With the centrifugal clutch he would have hit the truck at a faster rate.

Comment

Jon, what do you think, did the thing just drive through brakes? If pulling the fuel handle woulda made it worse, what could he have done? Anything?
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Jon, what do you think, did the thing just drive through brakes? If pulling the fuel handle woulda made it worse, what could he have done? Anything?
              He could have tried the big red button( I think that the car has a supermag) and try to ground the mag which he may have. Some Lenco reversers have a neutral not sure if he did or not probably wouldn't have been able to move the shifter anyway. This same thing happen to the Rear Gear's nostalgia F/C on its debut. I'd think by the time you realize whats happening you've already hit something which sucks. Ive never been faced with a situation like that myself but I could only imagine what he was thinking. I was shocked when i watched the similar deal happen at NED in 08

Comment

The dragster that climbed the altered. That was wild.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Man that's been around for a while. That was at North Star up in Denton. Stuff happens, especially with FAs. IIRC, his reverser just stuck. Here's a pic I took of Tim going the right direction at Abilene:

Comment

Working...
                  X