Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedy Says: Grading Daytona's Pothole 500

Re: Speedy Says: Grading Daytona's Pothole 500

I though Dodge did good for most of the race, with one actually leading a good portion of it. 2/3 were taken out with a blown tire 8 laps in and the one Dodge that was left was right up front until somebody made the stupid decision to take 4 tires with 2 laps under green left.

Comment

2. Jaime McMurray: A . Any time they?re calling what you did an ?upset win,? you?ve probably exceeded all expectations. Extra credit for abandoning the sponsor litany in the post-race TV interview and showing some real emotion.
      I wonder if him and his wife got those Big Mac's ;D He was genuinely overwelmed by that victory.

I'm impressed! Chevy got the A and Ford got a C!

Did anyone else notice the advertising for the AAA race next weekend showing all the "drama" crashes and driver's anger to amp up the event? Aren't these all things NASCAR is trying to do away with?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
        I though Dodge did good for most of the race, with one actually leading a good portion of it. 2/3 were taken out with a blown tire 8 laps in and the one Dodge that was left was right up front until somebody made the stupid decision to take 4 tires with 2 laps under green left.
        Hence the poor grade for Fiat's American division. When an OEM only has a one or two competitive cars among 43 starters, it's fairly hard to win (unless you've got the sorts of huge technical/developmental advantages that the Elliotts had back in 1985)
        Originally posted by TheSilverBuick

I wonder if him and his wife got those Big Mac's ;D He was genuinely overwelmed by that victory.
        Mrs. Speedzzter's so jaded by the "sponsor list" that she wondered if he had a "deal" with Mayor McCheese . . . .

I'm impressed! Chevy got the A and Ford got a C!
        I call'em as I see 'em. At the moment, Chevy has more depth of driver talent behind the wheel. Moreover, I doubt Ford's non-production "cheater" engine is as fully developed yet.

I think FoMoCo actually got a "C plus" when I turned in the grades, but a formatting issue seems to have lopped off the "+."

Did anyone else notice the advertising for the AAA race next weekend showing all the "drama" crashes and driver's anger to amp up the event? Aren't these all things NASCAR is trying to do away with?
        They used to be! I thought the promos were lurid.

Whether "the gloves have come off" remains to be seen. But the glorification of temper tantrums and racing accidents marks how desparate the NASCAR community is to reverse the ratings slide (especially in the under-performing Cali market). I do suspect that such WWE-style sideshows appeal to younger and more casual NASCAR fans. Besides, with all the free drama that's on SoCal freeways, NASCAR probably figured they needed to "amp" it up to stand out.

Comment

EVEN WHEN HE (jr) ALMOST WINS IT..
          YOU BASH HIM..
          guess if he was in a ford ,IT, be different, uh..

Comment

"Bashing?" :o

Stating the facts isn't "bashing." (Okay, maybe the "metabolize" comment was a little snarky, notwithstanding "HIS" notorious "Club E" and "Nothing a cold Bud wouldn't fix" reputation for imbibation) :

Now if I just wanted to bash "HIM," I'd promote more stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejdKNN9tsxc and http://www.talk-sports.net/nascar/su...e_Earnhardt_Jr ;D

BTW, Here's some fun trivia I cut and pasted from that last link above:

Number of starts since Dale Earnhardt Jr's last win:
            Dale Jr hasn't won in:
            610 days 20 hours 12 minutes 53 seconds

Dale Earnhardt Jr's longest losing streak:
            76 Races

771 Days
            Is that "bashing?" :-\

While it might be a PR bonanza to have "HE" in a Ford, "HIS" rather ordinary driving career would likely still be in decline.

Comment

have not seen that many tears since jeffy won all the races
              junior's career is much brighter than awesome bill from dawsonville - who never really was all that

Comment

3. Earnhardt-Ganassi: A. Chip Ganassi may have failed in his quest for Rolex 24 glory, but signing Jaime McMurray off of NASCAR?s equivalent of ?waivers? was a savvy move.

resigned, he left ,he came back no hard feelings.

also Club E is at home, started at home across from DEI, moved to new address.

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                  3. Earnhardt-Ganassi: A. Chip Ganassi may have failed in his quest for Rolex 24 glory, but signing Jaime McMurray off of NASCAR?s equivalent of ?waivers? was a savvy move.

resigned, he left ,he came back no hard feelings.
                  How does all of that make Ganassi's move any less "savvy?" McMurray really had no real choice but to move to the 1 car when Crown Royal dumped him for Kenseth and NASCAR made Roush-Fenway cut a team. See http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-his-next-move

also Club E is at home, started at home across from DEI, moved to new address.
                  So? A few AA types would argue that TURNING A WHOLE ROOM OF YOUR HOUSE INTO A HONKY TONK might suggest you're a little too interested in guzzling "EtOH."

BONUS: JUNE (hic) BUG's home decorating theme song (hic):

"I'm gonna' hire a wino to decorate our home,
                  "So you'll feel more at ease here, and you won't have to roam.
                  "We'll take out the dining room table, and put a bar along that wall.
                  "And a neon sign, to point the way, to our bathroom down the hall."
                  http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/f...ome-12290.html

(Do you suppose they've got a hip-hop version of that rhyme?)

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    junior's career is much brighter than awesome bill from dawsonville - who never really was all that
                    Yeah, Bill Elliott was pretty much a dud. (1988 Winston Cup Champion; First winner of the "Winston Million" (1985); Named one of NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers (1998); Sixteen time NASCAR Most Popular Driver (1984-1988, 1991-2000, 2002); Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Inductee (2007); Fifteenth on NASCAR's All-time win list**)

**Note that according to Jayski.com, JR is THIRTY-NINTH on the all-time win list. http://jayski.com/stats/alltimewins.htm#alltime Much brighter.

Comment

without a cheat car -he ain't much
                      ernie's 7/8 t bird with larry widmer heads
                      junior's rear camber hubs
                      evernham's traction control
                      elliott was far overshadowed by earnhardt and hendrick

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        without a cheat car -he ain't much
                        ernie's 7/8 t bird with larry widmer heads
                        The Melling Thunderbirds fit the templates and looked about 1000% more like a production car than nearly anything Chervolet has run since 1989. Elliott's heads (regardless of who built them) passed tech. Before NASCAR mandated "out of the box" cylinder heads in 1992, fairly radical modifications, including valve relocation were common-place among all competitive Cup teams.
                        junior's rear camber hubs
                        There were no rules prohibiting rear camber in 1992 when Elliott won for Junior Johnson. Everybody in the garage area was using rear camber (with varying degrees (no pun intended) of success) http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6394,4526596
                        evernham's traction control
                        Let's review the record:

Evernham has only been busted big-time once -- officially. During his first title run as Jeff Gordon's crew chief in 1995, Ray was fined $60,000 for using "illegal suspension" parts in the 24 car at Charlotte.
                        http://www.laidbackracing.com/TheOld...yEvernham.html

"You're much better off looking for advantages within the rules now," says car owner Ray Evernham, who was fined $60,000 in 1995 for illegal suspension parts when he was Jeff Gordon's crew chief. "Because the advantages that you're going to get that are really outside the rules that we have now are blatantly cheating."
                        http://blog.news-record.com/staff/sp..._cheatin.shtml

Did NASCAR uncover a traction control device at Darlington and then sweep it under the rug? That's what some crew chiefs suspect, and NASCAR's actions haven't helped. Traction control, which keeps rear wheels from spinning wildly, is illegal but virtually undetectable. As many as 16 teams may have used the device this season, according to one driver. NASCAR has been unclear about what penalty might be assessed if traction control were discovered. So when NASCAR cleared Casey Mears' Darlington car after discovering a suspicious electrical device hidden in the door panel, rivals were quick to raise questions. The device, which NASCAR has not allowed rival teams to examine, was revealed when the door was ripped open in a crash. The team said the device - which was wired both to the battery and to the dashboard - was a voltage regulator. 'It's just a simple box that monitors the direction of the current of the battery,' said Andy Graves, general manager of Mears' team. 'If the current is only flowing one way, then your alternator isn't working, and the light comes on to let us know. 'But when there's something out there that nobody's ever seen before, they all get panicky and think you're doing something illegal. But this is actually something that NASCAR approved for us three years ago, so we've had the thing a long time.'
                        http://www.racingscoop.com/Rumors_Page_2.htm

Comment

just dropping by to cast my vote that NASCAR topics are the lamest, most boring, topics on here
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yeah, Bill Elliott was pretty much a dud. (1988 Winston Cup Champion; First winner of the "Winston Million" (1985); Named one of NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers (1998); Sixteen time NASCAR Most Popular Driver (1984-1988, 1991-2000, 2002); Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Inductee (2007); Fifteenth on NASCAR's All-time win list**)
                            Spidey can't see any blue ovals thanks to his rose-colored bowtie blinders.
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I see what I want hee hee
                              I am sure the DG has his job applications in all the shops for next years much anticipated switch to expensive fuel injection
                              he used me as a reference

Comment

Working...
                              X