No announcement yet.

Tammy Ray's 1934 Ford Phaeton Wins 2010 Ridler Award at the Detrit Autorama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tammy Ray's 1934 Ford Phaeton Wins 2010 Ridler Award at the Detrit Autorama

oh yeah , the Fugly body work has all the flow of a money spending contest

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      I just think 17+inch wheels look ghetto and dorky
      While I agree... just look at it this way...

someone out there is on the RECEIVING end of these people who will literally pay a MILLION dollars - in a single year - to have people all over the internet tell them that they are "the coolest" - somebody figured something out, that's for sure ;)
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
        jealous, hardly. never said there not nice looking..
        even it I had millions to spend.. after the shows and taking it on tour, a car you can't get in and start up and drive.. isn't my cup of tea..
        once you can't drive it either because it break or because of fear.. it's no more a vehicle.. my dad paints cars and most of the people that have him do a laser straight paint and body. wish they didn't. as they worry about every little thing when driving it..
        the next car, they ask to not make it so perfect.. so they won't be worry'n the whole time driving it..
        sorry if I don't "get" spending that many hours on an unuseable vehicle..
        you can push the limits of design/fab/workmanship and still have a running,drive able vehicle..
        me, I'd rather see that.. cause it only take a few more man hours to make it be able to ,
        I take nothing away from them.. it's great work..
        but just how much of that was done by the owner, or at least had a hand in some of the work..

A few of those guys DID do their own. "Shades of Love" - one of the Great 8 last year is an example.

Second - sounds pretty arrogant of you to assume if you didn't do all your own work you don't deserve a car. Didn't know that rule existed.

Lastly, it's funny. I don't think I ever remember hearing somebody say - "Gee, I sure wish my car weren't so straight or the paint weren't so damned good". I sure recall hearing lots of people wishing their car were MORE straight or the paint was BETTER.

Still sounds like envy to me.

Comment

Oh, and all these cars run, and are drivable. The owners may not WANT to drive them. But they could. It is one of the most hard and fast rules of the ISCA tour.

And Art? For hanging on a wall? Tell Rodin that. Think about it. You'll get it.

If Art has no place in the auto world, then all cars should be slab sided economy boxes devoid of any styling. You know, styling. The artistic presentation of a motor vehicle to create an aesthetic or appealing appearance. What makes a '70 Camaro RS split bumper more attractive than an AMC Matador. After all, they're just cars. Point A to Point B and all that.

Where's your Matador? (Or Pacer?)

I still can't figure out why some folks turn up their nose at incredible workmanship - just because the owners aren't driving it back and forth to the grocery store.

Comment

sounds pretty arrogant of you to assume if you didn't do all your own work you don't deserve a car.
            As I've pointed out elsewhere, if we ALL built all our own cars - then who would keep all the kustom car and rod builders busy?
            Ever think about that?

Anyone remember all the kustoms Larry Ernst drove?
            He was a Catholic priest, and had all his cars built for him.
            Would they be as cool if Father Larry did his own work?

We don't ALL have mad skills with wrenches, torches, and spray guns - do we?
            Some of us just have money to employ others....

Still sounds like envy to me.
            No shit!~
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by ponchoman
              Second - sounds pretty arrogant of you to assume if you didn't do all your own work you don't deserve a car. Didn't know that rule existed.

Lastly, it's funny. I don't think I ever remember hearing somebody say - "Gee, I sure wish my car weren't so straight or the paint weren't so damned good". I sure recall hearing lots of people wishing their car were MORE straight or the paint was BETTER.

lets start with your first line..
              I didn't say they had to do all the work or you don't deserve the car, so DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH..
              and on the 2nd.. you've never heard a person that drove their #3 car all the time in good weather, that after it's restored and paint is nice and straight, afraid to drive it, and worried everytime the park it..
              and that it's not as enjoyable, because of the headache of worry'n about what might happen to it..
              again , I didn't say they didn't like it nice and shiny and straight, now did I? AGAIN WITH PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH....
              I said after a guy has a car , and pays for the laser straight body work and paint..
              the next car they have asked for a lesser job, cause this one they want to drive an enjoy with no worries while doing so..
              some people get more joy out of driving them (the horror) than sitting in a lawnchair on a grassy field, all summer long..
              so please stop twisting my words for your post, and envy.. oh boy.. look I'll never own a car like those top 8, and franky wouldn't want to.. as I like use'n my cars (the horror) and because my dad is an ace bodyman(40+ years of painting cars and show cars)
              I can have the perfect paint if I so choose.. and it cost my only the surplies.. envy, hardly.. I'd rather a #2 or #3 car that I'm not afraid to drive, anywhere.. and not sweat bullets worry'n if I'll get a paint clip from a rock..
              and being able to drive as a rule for these cars.. sorry driving in and out of a trailor, isn't what I'd call a driver..
              funny , I remember prostrret cars being blasted for not being able to drive around a fairground, never mind race, and those had workmanship/fab/ and design.. but these. cars are ok even tho. they'd fail a fairground drive
              peace..
              double standards I guess

I had a tu tone candy 88 f 150.. we spent a good 300 hours on that trucks paint, dad try'd to talk me out of it.. but I wanted it..
              those 33" mudders never saw dirt again.. and I instead of driving it. drove my other car and it sat, and sat.. and got used very little, and never as a truck.. again.. My dad that try'd to talk my out of te fancy pancy paint job. was right.. and after 2 years and only driving it 1500 miles, it got sold, the "great paint,nice truck" at shows and cruises. wore thin fast.. as I sat in the pass side of a friends truck as we went off roading..
              made the same mistake with a 78 t/a only this time a peril tri coat.. got clipped two year later.. girl ran a red light..
              it took three tries to get the paint to match.. because even tho the paint was tinted on the fly, and we had a record of what amount of everything that was in the paint and how many coats of each stage. the base had fadded just enough to make matching it a bear..
              sorry, but my cars. will not be that fancy in the paint work ever again.. and my reasoning is above..
              never said no one should have a perfect paint and body if thats what they want,, it's theirs. but they are the same one sitting in a chiar at a show, watching so no one gets to close to the car.. and miss the other cars there as they will not travel far from their car..

Comment

IRONHEAD,

Sorry, but we will just have to disagree. I don't know of a single person like you're talking about - that built a super straight car with superb paint and regretted it so they built their next car to a lesser level of detail. Not one. Never. I've got friends who have different cars they've built for different reasons. Track cars that are completely focused on performance and very little on cosmetics. Show cars that will rarely ever get even started. And everything in between. Matter of fact, every person I know who has built a REALLY NICE car and decides to build another, is typically trying to learn from mistakes of the past to do an even nicer job on their next car. So, maybe it's just your customers or your area. Don't know. I'm sure you believe that's the case, but it sure isn't that way in the majority of THIS country. Custom shops repeat business is all built on the fact that everyone wants it as perfect as possible for a given price. What they can afford.

It's envy, pal - pure and simple. You've never ever been in one of the Great 8. How in hell do you know if they would "fail a fairground drive"? In fact, your statement is patently untrue. Many of these cars have been filmed - on the road. Will they dominate in an autocross? Hell no - but neither will that Willys.

People decide to build cars based on how they want them. And how they want to use them. Having a perfect body and paint (if there is such a thing) does nto mean the car doesn't get driven. Having an enclosed trailer for one of these cars does not mean it doesn't get driven. However, trailering a car to an event 150 miles away rather than driving it there just MAY mean that the car isn't a "highway" car. Just how many people would REALLY relish the idea of driving a blown gasser across the country? Or a car that's built for both performance AND looks and really isn't a long distance "comfortable" car, and the car will suck down twice as much fuel in half the distance as your truck and trailer will.

The point here is that apparently some of us believe we can dictate what the hobby really is, and look down our nose on something because (It doesn't get driven to work, it isn't out in the rain, the paint is too pretty, the wheels are too shiny, it was once at a show with mirrors under it, the owner didn't do their own work) - fill in the blank.

Others respect the effort and attention to detail cars like this demonstrate, and understand that not everyone has the skill or ability to build - but understand that they may still really love cars. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that creates high quality work like this should be respected. And these builders? Whew!

Truth is that I still believe it's envy. Maybe class envy, I don't know. Because all these guys with these kinds of high end cars typically own more cars than they can drive in a week. They HAVE great "drivers". That, and their resources (money) gives them the ability to go build a no limit work of art. They've got "beater" cars that are probably far superior to the overwhelming majority of our BEST cars. You telling me you wouldn't want to have the resources and cars that Leno has? Come on - cause if you say you wouldn't - you're just not a car guy.

Comment

you can think it's envy all you want..
                  peace...

Comment

Those of us with functioning brain cells will, thank you.

You named yourself well....
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                      Those of us with functioning brain cells will, thank you.

You named yourself well....
                      at least I'm up front about it with the name ;D
                      so, whats eating you

Comment

I understand your point of cars being too nice to drive hard, IRONHEAD. I wouldn't go as far to say that I would never again own a car with straight shiny paint, but keeping it clean is a pain in the butt. I would much rather be driving than cleaning.

I would enjoy having a hot rod with satin paint and nothing that needs polished. Something that could be driven in nasty weather and put away dirty, just like the wife's DD.

I'm just glad that there are people with the money to turn guys like Foose and Trepainer loose without restraints. The demonstration of what is actually capable only helps the rest of the hobby with trickle-down techniques, design, and materials. And yes, those cars are art; they are best seen on a pedestal. Driving them would destroy the workmanship that went into the. The door gaps and other tolerances are just too tight. I'm of the opinion that not every car needs to be driven.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                        X