Tammy Ray's 1934 Ford Phaeton Wins 2010 Ridler Award at the Detrit Autorama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tammy Ray's 1934 Ford Phaeton Wins 2010 Ridler Award at the Detrit Autorama

Re: Tammy Ray's 1934 Ford Phaeton Wins 2010 Ridler Award at the Detrit Autorama

I would have picked the '34 Packard....
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
      I would have picked the '34 Packard....
      I liked the chevy for the color,but the all red was to much.. and the wheels..
      something with a little polish wouldn't been better than those

the mint green.. what the kell was he thinking...
      the one that won is nice, I just think this award should go to a car that "could be used and driven" that ones ,doesn't even hide the fact is was never even in the thought of the builder

Comment

Packard (nice V12 power)
        Dodge P.U. (nice everything)

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
          I just think this award should go to a car that "could be used and driven" that ones ,doesn't even hide the fact is was never even in the thought of the builder
          Each to their own, but I feel the Ridler represents the artisitic side of car building. It shows what a builder can do when allowed to operate outside requirements of daily or even periodic use. Its not actually about the car and its performance, its about the talents and creative minds of the builders. The money involved makes people cry foul, but they are missing the point as well. The only thing that matters in the Ridler is the appearance and the effort involved in the development. I respect that and wish I had the talents and means to participate.

There are other shows and awards for cars that are driven. This award is not one of them.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
            I just think this award should go to a car that "could be used and driven" that ones ,doesn't even hide the fact is was never even in the thought of the builder
            Each to their own, but I feel the Ridler represents the artisitic side of car building. It shows what a builder can do when allowed to operate outside requirements of daily or even periodic use. Its not actually about the car and its performance, its about the talents and creative minds of the builders. The money involved makes people cry foul, but they are missing the point as well. The only thing that matters in the Ridler is the appearance and the effort involved in the development. I respect that and wish I had the talents and means to participate.

There are other shows and awards for cars that are driven. This award is not one of them.
            guess so..
            but a national rod award should(in my eyes) be useable...
            art is ok , but rods are cars... cars are driven..
            art you hang on a wall.. or a stand...
            thats an art award not a rod award
            to each their own. indeed

Comment

i only got 2 words for it

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Those cars are intended to be a museum piece, just like a painting is intended to hang on a wall instead of the canvas being used as a tarp.

Those guys are more than ok with their "cars" being called trailer queens. They intend for them to be so.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

While most are trailer queens, I have seen the last two Ridler winners built by Foose being driven on tv. I wouldn't even consider building a car to compete if I couldn't drive it after it was done with the show circuit.
                  Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Those cars are intended to be a museum piece, just like a painting is intended to hang on a wall instead of the canvas being used as a tarp.

Those guys are more than ok with their "cars" being called trailer queens. They intend for them to be so.
                    funny.. thats why they own then for so long after the show circuit is done..
                    cause they're O K with a car you park in a garage . and turn the light out and forget..
                    in a year this will be for sale on ebay or B>J>'s

Comment

all 8 are nice eye candy tho

Comment

cause they're O K with a car you park in a garage . and turn the light out and forget..

Dude, you're just jealous. Schtauffer is exactly right. The Ridler award is not the ONLY award. It's a specific award judged on "creativity, engineering and workmanship". The vehicles must operate, but that's about it. They are about pushing the limits in design, fabrication, attention to detail and workmanship. They can generate ideas that find their way into more "realistic" cars. They take immense time, planning, resources and patience to build.

Sometimes we can be a real cannabalistic group. Street rodders don't accept muscle cars. Neither accepts tuners. Muscle car guys that don't like Pro-Touring. And here, for some reason people who look down on incredible creations like this. All owned and built by people who probably have a few REAL nice "Driver" cars they use all the time.

BTW, I know of at least one car that was in the Great 8 about 15 years ago that gets driven not far from me. The guy who did the body/paint on it is the guy who recently did some fabrication work for me. He's way better than I'll ever be. The cars back then weren't quite as crazy expensive to build, but it was a REAL nice car.

Comment

Originally posted by ponchoman

Dude, you're just jealous. Schtauffer is exactly right. The Ridler award is not the ONLY award. It's a specific award judged on "creativity, engineering and workmanship". The vehicles must operate, but that's about it. They are about pushing the limits in design, fabrication, attention to detail and workmanship. They can generate ideas that find their way into more "realistic" cars. They take immense time, planning, resources and patience to build.

Sometimes we can be a real cannabalistic group. Street rodders don't accept muscle cars. Neither accepts tuners. Muscle car guys that don't like Pro-Touring. And here, for some reason people who look down on incredible creations like this. All owned and built by people who probably have a few REAL nice "Driver" cars they use all the time.

BTW, I know of at least one car that was in the Great 8 about 15 years ago that gets driven not far from me. The guy who did the body/paint on it is the guy who recently did some fabrication work for me. He's way better than I'll ever be. The cars back then weren't quite as crazy expensive to build, but it was a REAL nice car.
                          jealous, hardly. never said there not nice looking..
                          even it I had millions to spend.. after the shows and taking it on tour, a car you can't get in and start up and drive.. isn't my cup of tea..
                          once you can't drive it either because it break or because of fear.. it's no more a vehicle.. my dad paints cars and most of the people that have him do a laser straight paint and body. wish they didn't. as they worry about every little thing when driving it..
                          the next car, they ask to not make it so perfect.. so they won't be worry'n the whole time driving it..
                          sorry if I don't "get" spending that many hours on an unuseable vehicle..
                          you can push the limits of design/fab/workmanship and still have a running,drive able vehicle..
                          me, I'd rather see that.. cause it only take a few more man hours to make it be able to ,
                          I take nothing away from them.. it's great work..
                          but just how much of that was done by the owner, or at least had a hand in some of the work..

Comment

eh, it's a car. Original purpose: move people and supplies from point A to point B. Art is for hanging on the wall. Cars are for driving. I'm fine with the genre, but putting people who do these terrible things to cars - and waste so much money, time, effort - (and who also tend to be whiny and complete assholes) - on a pedestal is the wrong thing to do IMO.

just my dos centavos.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I just think 17+inch wheels look ghetto and dorky

Comment

Working...
                              X