Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Find: A Wooden 1950's Sports Car

eBay Find: A Wooden 1950's Sports Car

This thing has been on ebay for months. I have not noticed if the price has changed but obviously he wants to much or there is no interest at all.

Comment

Re: eBay Find: A Wooden 1950's Sports Car

Interesting piece. I'm no expert but I know a little about the Ariel Square Four. They had difficulty with the rear cylinders overheating in the motorcycle chassis and I wonder if that's why it wasn't used more. Ariel supposedly finally sorted it out in 1957 but the damage was done and 1958 was the last model year.

Why the builder picked Citroen running gear I'll never know. I can only think it's what he had lying around. Maybe not terrible stuff, but WEIRD! I'm guessing the donor was a 2CV - the French Beetle equivalent with a cult following in France. The 2CV looks like a Beetle made by a sheet metal worker. The seats look like they may be from a 2CV as well.

Dan

Comment

Whew! That's a ton of money for a really ugly car.

Comment

Looks like the Ariel's cylinder/head assembly was spun 180 degrees so that the carb is in front and the exhaust exiting rearward. Easy to see why the rear cylinders would overheat

Comment

Working...
          X