Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parting Shift: Gear Whine M22 Rock Crusher Style

Re: The Parting Shift: Gear Whine M22 Rock Crusher Style

Two lane blacktop weird? That's blasphemy.

Harry Dean Stanton, one of the greatest actors that ever lived.

Comment

it may be Blasphemy..but it doesnt maek it not true...that friggin movie is weird...and the ending sucks...but that is my humble opinion....

I have not heard that sound in years and years...I forgot how much noise thay make....I like that sound better than a gear drive.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Fred M.H. Gregory wrote a review in Car Craft when it came out. He didn't like it. He said James Taylor granny shifts.

Comment

It's an existentialist flick - weird comes with the territory.
          The '55 just made it bearable.
          Same with "Vanishing Point" - if it didn't have cool cars in it, would we still be talking about them?
          NO.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
            it may be Blasphemy..but it doesnt maek it not true...that friggin movie is weird...and the ending sucks...but that is my humble opinion....

I have not heard that sound in years and years...I forgot how much noise thay make....I like that sound better than a gear drive.
            No way, Man! If you get the symbolism, the ending of Two-Lane Blacktop is the "most purely cinematic ending" in the history of film.

Two-Lane Blacktop is hardly a conventional film. But it's one of the greatest gearhead movies of all time. (I watch it at least twice a year.)

Don't believe the hype? Read Kim Morgan's brilliant essay on it: http://sunsetgun.typepad.com/sunsetgun/2007/12/you-can-never-g.html

BTW, once, I earned actual college credit for doing a scholarly paper on the literary symbolism jam-packed into "Two-Lane Blacktop" for a graduate school film class. . . and I got extra "props" because the Prof had never received a paper on it in almost three decades of teaching film history. And no, Monte Hellman wasn't teaching the class . . . .

Originally posted by Super Sport

Warren Oates (G.T.O.) was better.

Comment

Actually, didn't M-22 had 22* cut gears, not straight cut? Other Muncies had 45* gears.

My A833 has straight cut reverse and it howls in reverse, much louder than the gears in the M22 I once had.

Watching a movie made over 30 years ago is often a window into that era politically and socially. I can relate to checking out of the rat race for a while and just hit the road. If the funds were there, I'd be gone for a few months.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                Two-Lane Blacktop is hardly a conventional film. But it's one of the greatest gearhead movies of all time. (I watch it at least twice a year.)
                Ditto, its pure carjunkie essence...lets face it, most of us are odd ducks (a few power tours and BS East confirmed that)...jettisoning our responsibilities - who wouldn't want to go trawling for the next race on the country's two lane blacktops?
                a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Little known fact is that it's the same '55 Chevy used in American Graffiti

Comment

Where I come from that is a well known fact.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

years ago I worked with a guy who had a 66 Nova 327/4spd, it had the M-22 rock crusher, I couldn't believe how noisy it was, had never heard it befor until that point
                      "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                        Where I come from that is a well known fact.

I really gotta get out more

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot

Warren Oates (G.T.O.) was better.
                          In Two Lane Blacktop, yep. When considering their bodies of work side by side, it's not even close. Warren was cool though.

"I'm not into that!"

For me, a big part of the draw of Two Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point is the Americana, the scenery. It's a little flashback of the roadside culture that I can remember as a kid that doesn't exist anymore. The service stations, highway signage, telegraph poles alongside the railroad tracks, one lane highway bridges, etc.

I go hunting in the midwest at least once a year anymore, and have started driving back (1800 miles one way) because I enjoy it. I live in one of the most crowded places in the US, so I really enjoy the opportunity to drive through the emptier places, and stay off the Interstate while doing it. Now I just need to build something with some loud old four speed that can fetch me 15-20 on the highway and can handle snow on Wolf Creek Pass.

Comment

After watching a dozen various YouTube videos featuring vehicles with this M22 transmission...

...I think I get it...

...so one more thing I must do before I die is run a big bucket of steel with an M22 up to 120 and back a few thousand times. My bucket list keeps growing and I'm not even 40 yet.
                            Alan Moore - Wichita Falls, TX
                            1976 Gran Torino 351C - Four Door Whore

Comment

Originally posted by occupant
                              After watching a dozen various YouTube videos featuring vehicles with this M22 transmission...

...I think I get it...

...so one more thing I must do before I die is run a big bucket of steel with an M22 up to 120 and back a few thousand times. My bucket list keeps growing and I'm not even 40 yet.
                              Don't feel bad, mine was probably 200 items deep by the time I was 25. I think the trick is to wipe the more athletic and less monogamous ones off the list first, and leave the economic ones (Cars) for later in life.

I still have some that combine economics and athleticism, so I am hitting the weights again.

Comment

Working...
                              X