eBay Find: Kenny Bernstein's 1987 Buick Batmobile LeSabre Funny Car Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Find: Kenny Bernstein's 1987 Buick Batmobile LeSabre Funny Car Body

Re: eBay Find: Kenny Bernstein's 1987 Buick Batmobile LeSabre Funny Car Body

That ought to be in a museum.....
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

What planet did AA/Dale come from? He's just on a whole different level than the rest of us.
      I read an article he wrote about how the NHRA can slow down the fuel cars without destroying motors, as they had been doing. Of course, why would NHRA listen to Dale? What would he know about anything?
      I remember reading back when this car was running Dale didn't want to run a single at any track where other competitors were around. Then you could hear the clutch engaging as the car went down the track, the jig would be up on his full lockup clutch. When a racer broke at the line in qualifying, they all heard it. The rumor I read said the next round the other, already qualified car shut off on the line so their crew would hear what they thought they heard.

Comment

OR --- the even nuttier part? He's a nice guy!

He entertained my idiot questions like I was Walter Cronkite a few years back for a story I wrote. A dude who truly thought on a higher plane.

I agree that it was/is insane that the NHRA has failed to listen to his easily executed plan to slow the cars down for a return to 1320ft. I reason that they don't want to go back to that length. Ever.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

wally parks wanted to cut it to 1000 feet in 1983

Comment

wally parks wanted to cut it to 1000 feet in 1983
            But he didn't.

Comment

don't think it polled well back then

Comment

They didn't ask anyone this time.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                  They didn't ask anyone this time.
                  Who would have said "no" to this quick fix? "A beloved competitor died, partly because he ran off a short track. We want to race to 1000 feet for an immediate fix". Who would have said no? Myself, I don't care if they stay at 1000 feet. I happen to like 1/8 mile racing. But I'm just some idiot sitting here, not a racer or sponsor. I'm also someone who will never spend a dollar to attend an NHRA event, so they don't care what I think.

Comment

sorry eighth mile is for southern bracket racers
                    quarter mile is for racing
                    1000 foot has proven to be a joke

Comment

Dale is one guy that is just plain smart and gives an engine what it wants. I was told once by Pat Foster that it's the way he was able to run a car on tour by himself. Dale Armstrong was innovative to the max. You have just to respect that in a man, just being able to communicate with the hardware. Racepak gave him the data, but knowing what to do with it is whole other thing. One of the truly legends in our sport. Thanks for showing the way.

Comment

so that was the beginning of the end of funny cars that resembled street cars. too bad we can't go back. there was a drag race from 1983 or 84 on TV this weekend where Amato hit 260 for the 1st time. and the funny cars still looked a bit like street cars.

Comment

Working...
                        X