Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnout Video: Crazy Aussie Smokes the Tires For a Quarter-Mile

Re: Burnout Video: Crazy Aussie Smokes the Tires For a Quarter-Mile

I have seen alot of vids like this but what I want to know is can these car run any good 1/8 or 1/4 mile numbers?

Comment

That's a long way to back up (after the burnout). 8)

BTW, I remember seeing magazine photos years ago of an odd Maverick that used hydraulic rams on a set of oversized wheelie bars to slightly lift pressure off the rear slicks for burnouts without a water/bleach box. Obviously such a Rube Goldberg set-up never caught on. But it would be another way to build a controllable quarter-mile smoker.

Of course I'd prefer the 1500-h.p.-on-10-inch-street-tires method . . . . ;D

Comment

The hydraulic wheelie bar trick was being employed by some of the high level sport compact drag racers for a time until it was outlawed. Obviously the benefit was to load the front tires for the best traction.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

But the thing I remember seeing was built 15+ years before the Sport Compact thing. As I recall it, it was a SOHC or BOSS 429-powered Mav that was written up in the ~ 1969-71 time frame (maybe in CARS or Super Stock or one of the other NY magazines).

As I recall the sport compact version of hydraulic wheelie bars, they could preload (jack) weight onto the front axle and dramtically lengthen the effective wheelbase, both of which would tend to offset some of the front-to-rear weight transfer effects under acceleration.

Comment

Correcto!
            I think I know the Mav you're talking about.

If we're going down the hydraulic jack route, you have to mention "Sneaky Pete" Robinson who had a SOHC Ford powered fuel dragster that was equipped with jacks that raised the car ever so slightly off the ground and then dropped at the hit of a button. This was before the days of a slipper clutch and with the tires free-wheeling and then hitting the ground at speed, the car was untouchable. The jacks were banned pretty quickly, but it was good thinkin.

Brian

Comment

Meremere Dragway is not in Austrailia. It is in NEW ZEALAND. Now known a Fram Dragway.

The Ambassador does NOT have jacks on tne rear supension. It just has pure grunt.

Comment

Hehe you just beat me to it Old Kiwi!

I love that car. Full-size wagon + Blown BB = COOL

I don't think the owner really races it, just cruises it and does skids, i've seen it in some quite far flung places.

Loving this site btw Brian ;D

Comment

Yikes! Sorry to botch up the locale of the strip. That's a bad one too. I owe you New Zealanders one.

I definitely know that the wagon is not on jacks, we were headed off the topic (as seems to happen too often).

Thanks for reading (and apologies again to Fram Dragway)

Brian

Comment

This car has a number of videos floating around on youtube...I love this thing...everytime my little guy wants to see cars doing burnouts I pull up these videos
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

where is old zealand ?

jungle jim was doing this 36 years ago

Comment

Nothing beats a Line Loc and brke pressure guage..

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                          where is old zealand ?

jungle jim was doing this 36 years ago
                          Yeah, but Liberman had an AA/FC, not a massive Rambler waggy.

BTW, "Old Zealand" was in the Netherlands. Abel Tasman, the first European explorer in "Kiwiland," named it.

Tasmania was named after Tasman.

(Sarcophilus harrisii (Tasmanian Devil))

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                            This car has a number of videos floating around on youtube...I love this thing...everytime my little guy wants to see cars doing burnouts I pull up these videos
                            Yeah..agree..it screams raw power and coolness 8).

Comment

Working...
                            X