Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 MPH is the New 55

Re: 70 MPH is the New 55

Florida is rated in the middle, but most of our interstates are at 70mph except congested areas.
    In a 70 mph limit area, I usually do 75-78 but always keep it under 80 ....
    ;)

Comment

A friend of mine and I were having a conversation the other day, and this was basically the topic. What we were both surprised by was how seemingly tolerant the California Highway Patrol has seemed to be in recent years with average speed on the freeways in So Cal (When they are not clogged with traffic)

Though not scientific by any means, we both seemed to agree that we both had no qualms about driving 80ish all day on the freeway, and only started feeling nervous or self conscious about it when getting closer to 85 or so. (Max speed limit in California is 70)

Utah may be the true number one on that list. On a recent road trip where we drove the length of the state on I-15, it was common to see people with cruise controls set at 85 or higher, and they even had a couple of "experimental" speed zones in the middle of the state with posted 80 MPH limits.

Comment

I must be missing the point - Texas interstates are 70, with a 75 limit way out west. It drops to 55 in the "non-attainment" areas. People typically drive +5 to +10 above the posted limit. +6 up will get you an audience with the DPS. Around here, there's no 55 on any rural road. There are streets with a 55 limit in town.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
          Florida is rated in the middle, but most of our interstates are at 70mph except congested areas.
          In a 70 mph limit area, I usually do 75-78 but always keep it under 80 ....
          ;)

Hell yeah fastest bracket, and I can tell you from experience that Montana, both Dakotas and Wyoming are in the fast category ;)

I-15 is a 75mph speed limit for a good chunk of it. Most the highways are 70mph. Utah has a few "experimental" stretchs of 80mph's on I-15.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm not really believing that this is a true sample of drivers, only a sample of TomTom drivers. I drive in a few different states and I don't see Texas and Florida being the same speed as Michigan. I don't see Michigan being slower then too many states.
            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
            X