Project Goliath Update: The One Cylinder Rebuild, Part One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Goliath Update: The One Cylinder Rebuild, Part One

When I take the pan off I plan on cleaning the pickup. The ends of the pushrods are probably there as well. :D
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I knew ordering a single ring pack wasn't going to be a simple straight forward process any more. But kudo's Bruab! Can't wait to see the bottom end.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by hpa-bodies
        I used the floor out of an 1989 f150 when I did my dads 66 chevy truck. Was an easy fit only thing I had to make were the cab mounts.
        Nice! In keeping with the low-buck theme, I'd explore this route Brian (after the one cylinder rebuild of course). Ford used the same cab in the 80-96 trucks, so finding one in the junkyard with a solid floor pan shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Shannon, that would be totally awesome, but I don't think LMC truck wants a bunch of sheetmetal back.

Comment

Nice work Brian - again - please don't hesitate to call if you need something - I'm quite certain that thanks to this site and my call many months ago for a 292 for the '54 - I now have at least two of everything to build one!

In fact - I'm sure I have a pile of pushrods if you have any issues finding replacements....
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Dan, no worries there....I have no choice. :D

Rock Auto FTW! They have delayed the ship date on my single ring pack a few times, to the point I was going to call them up and cancel the order. I've never had a problem with them before. Today out of the blue they called me up and apologized for the delay. Rock ordered them direct from Federal Mogul and they lost the order. Rock put a rush on them and told me I would have them by the end of the week.

Good deal!

Brian
              Maybe someone tipped them off that there's over 4k people watching this build :
              sigpic

Comment

I would have to rering all the pistons, imagine after all this you have to go back and do another/the rest.
                If one cylinder is pooped I bet the others are not far behind.

Comment

Beags -- yep, ya hit it right on the head. The second I saw the compression tester pegged at 20psi I went straight into the whole mental she-bang of re-doing the whole motor.

Malc -- can't argue the logic, luckily we've taken logic right out of this equation. :D

Comment

Shannon, that would be totally awesome, but I don't think LMC truck wants a bunch of sheetmetal back.
                    Ah! Wasn't aware you had already ordered that stuff! ;) Maybe I need to come around a little more often! ;D

Good job on the reporting of the engine rebuild BTW.

Comment

No worries Shannon!

I'm waiting for the boxes o' metal to arrive at chez Lohnes.

Rock said the rings are shipping on Thursday, so hopefully I get them on Friday/Sat and I can open Al Capone's vault (aka take the oil pan off) that evening and see what's what!

I grabbed a ridge reamer from my father in law that I'm going to use to take some of the ridge off the #2 cylinder so I can get the piston assy out the top. I think it'll probably catch as it is now.

Thanks for the good words!

Brian

Comment

Rock said the rings are shipping on Thursday, so hopefully I get them on Friday/Sat and I can open Al Capone's vault (aka take the oil pan off) that evening and see what's what!

Thanks for the good words!

Brian

i call dibs on any pirate gold you may find in the oil pan ;D
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I'm not going to say a word. Ooops, looks like I said more than one, yep, a COMPLETE SET.

Comment

You and your complete sets, right there on the shelf.

I will be needing your services for a couple pushrods, and gaskets though.

Comment

A customer was in the shop today and saw that box on my toolbox. "What the heck are those?" "History" was all I said. ;D

Comment

loving the cost.

I wouldn't go far with a 292 or any straight six for that matter...

where is that 283 orignal..still running..oh..here is one... :

100 bucks may have even found a smoking v8.
                                Previously boxer3main
                                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X