Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Goliath Update: The One Cylinder Rebuild, Part One

Re: Project Goliath Update: The One Cylinder Rebuild, Part One

Just beautiful, I'm digging this. Last time I went to the auto parts for lapping compound I got a blank stare from the teenager behind the counter. Hadn't sold any in 5 years. When the tool budget increases, consider a leakdown tester. Thats what I use, pinpoints the trouble a bit easier. Those exhaust nuts never come off, in my muffler shop days we never even tried, we just heated the manifold ears cherry red and screwed out the nuts and studs. Consider taking your manifold to a muffler shop to see if they can get the broken studs out, they have the experience. Drilling them at home can result in a wandering bit and a ruined manifold.

Comment

I have enough of a stub left on both sides to grab onto. So I plan on using the "red ears" technique myself.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

OOGA BOOGA!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          I have enough of a stub left on both sides to grab onto. So I plan on using the "red ears" technique myself.
          If its squeaking, it's unscrewing. If not, you're likely twisting off the stud. Use top quality replacements, Dorman is good. Threaded rod replacements are bad.

Comment

Awesome on the true budget repair!!

If you actually had to spend real money, is a cheap small block V8 swap a possibility?

Nothing against inline sixes, but if I'm building something for fun, its more fun with the sound of a V8 in the background!

I grew up with my best friend who's father owned a used farm machinery business. We spent a tons of hours in a C70 rollback with tired 350, 4sp/two speed rear and dual glasspacks. When you're 16 roaming all over the back roads with the windows down and the exhaust barking it didn't even feel like work!!

Comment

Great pics and explanations - thank you sir. Goliath rules.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

didn't you guys give away a running 250/292 out of the drag truck? wish you had it back i guess

Comment

I think Chad did! That bastard! :D

Comment

Thanks for this, Brian. Gets me thinking about diagnosing "need" to fix problems versus while I'm in here type problems. Thanks for cheaping out. I sure your wife appreciates it. Makes it a little easier to swallow when you can fix it yourself.

Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I used the floor out of an 1989 f150 when I did my dads 66 chevy truck. Was an easy fit only thing I had to make were the cab mounts.

Comment

Kudos for keeping the 292. I once put a clutch in a C60 where most of the floor was license plates pop rivited together. When you'd step on the clutch, the whole cab would lean.

Comment

Genius!....simply Genius! This is a great project. You must keep it low buck...
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Dan, no worries there....I have no choice. :D

Rock Auto FTW! They have delayed the ship date on my single ring pack a few times, to the point I was going to call them up and cancel the order. I've never had a problem with them before. Today out of the blue they called me up and apologized for the delay. Rock ordered them direct from Federal Mogul and they lost the order. Rock put a rush on them and told me I would have them by the end of the week.

Good deal!

Brian

Comment

Brian,

Place a washer over the broken stud. Now, place a hex nut over the stud on top of the washer. Turn on the welder and weld the nut to the stud. The heat from the weld will allow you to easily unscrew the broken stud. Done deal.

Also.... Those valve stem seals that broke had to go somewhere. Most likely, they are caught up in your oil pump pickup screen. Take the time and clean that sucker out!

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X