Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Fail: All Impact Racing Safety Products to Be Decertified by SFI

Re: Epic Fail: All Impact Racing Safety Products to Be Decertified by SFI

What's interesting about this is that Impact isn't accused of selling equipment that wasn't actually certified by SFI. Rather it is accused of applying "counterfeit" SFI tags to safety equipment that presumably was previously certified at the initial design phase.

Thus, the equipment may fully comply with the applicable SFI safety standards, but because Impact allegedly breached a technical provision of the contract (i.e. SFI's monopoly as the sole supplier of SFI labels), SFI gave notice it was terminating the contract.

Bill Simpson received a public relations black eye in the wake of Dale Earnhardt's death. Now he's got another one. And the irony is that the protective equipment Impact sells probably functions exactly as designed. Yet because rulesmakers rely on SFI certification, the equipment will be rendered useless for sanctioned competition.

Comment

This is a major debacle for me because most of my safety gear is from Impact and my first SCCA race is on April 29, therefore I will have to replace my suit and belts at a minimum between now and then. Impact was also accused by HANS of installing counterfeit HANS device helmet anchors on their helmets last year, so between this action from SFI and the problems with their drag suits (which actually did have compromised performance) that's three strikes. Bill, you're out in my book.

Comment

Impact needs to negotiate with SFI a retroactive solution to this latest mess pronto.

Otherwise, they'd better be prepared to deal with a tsunami of litigation. If a retroactive deal with SFI cannot be worked out, it would probably be cheaper just to recall and replace all of the gear bearing "counterfeit" tags than to fight all of the breach of contract and breach of warranty claims that will likely be filed by angry racers, wholesalers and retailers.

This is a sad probable end for the career of a safety pioneer.

Comment

must have been the aluminum hans hooks

bill simpson whoops

Comment

pour sfi and nhra wasn't get'n their piece of the pie..
            that ALL this is about..

Comment

the insurance company tool formerly known as the national hot rod association

1000 ft drag racing is bush leagues

Comment

Wow, this is huge, this is going to affect racing the same way Toyota affected soccer moms
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

WTF! I just bought my helmet last summer, spent like a week researching, comparing prices, etc. I figured I'd go with the IMPACT! because it was the middle of the road priced and it was certified until 2017! now I can't even use the F'in thing I want my damn money back.... shady bastards. I might as well of gave the $400 to the Gov't, at least I know they're crooked. I see a massive class action lawsuit coming
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm sure that Simpson products will perform with any of the other products, it's just that the right palms weren't being greased and you don't have think to hard to figure that one out! Stop and think about it, why do you think a 5 point safety harness has to be replaced every 2 or 3 years? $$$$$$$

Comment

engine diapers have to be recerted every year

Comment

Horner Bros. have any Impact stuff?
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                          engine diapers have to be recerted every year
                          Don't forget the window nets!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            Horner Bros. have any Impact stuff?
                            afraid to ask

Comment

Could make for an interesting lunch break! :D
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X