Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigs List Find: A 1968 AMC Rebel With an Awful Secret

Re: Craigs List Find: A 1968 AMC Rebel With an Awful Secret

Although I'm probably "skipping over large and difficult details, and claiming 'possibilities' as if they're valid arguments," that Reb's a BOSS car with a POS mill.

BTW, does anyone in the aftermarket reproduce the Rebel Machine hood scoop?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
      Although I'm probably "skipping over large and difficult details, and claiming 'possibilities' as if they're valid arguments," that Reb's a BOSS car with a POS mill.

BTW, does anyone in the aftermarket reproduce the Rebel Machine hood scoop?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the cool link!

HOOD SCOOPS We have reproduced the Machine and SC/360 hood scoops. These are the best ever made. They are hand laid with the best fiberglass cloth available and have the correct mounting stands ( Machine also has the stands for the tach). Machine scoop, $350.
        Dadgum! At that price, the Craig's List Rebel Rouser's probably got more invested in his hood scoop than in that infernal SBC beneath it!

Comment

I wonder how much he would take without the engine and transmission
          Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

> argghhh that's my major pet peeve!

Comment

Lots of overspray up under the hood on the cowl. Looks like it may have been a quicky paint job?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamar
                Lots of overspray up under the hood on the cowl. Looks like it may have been a quicky paint job?
                how about a diy paint job

Comment

Stuff like this used to be banned from AMC meets. The president of Windy City AMC lobbied for a class called "Frankenstein" cars, he got his wish. His feelings were to not exclude anyone from the dwindling supply of AMC's.
                  Still, there is nor reason for cars like this. Are we even sure it's a real Machine?

Comment

When I read about an "awful secret" I pictured it the scene of a grisly murder/suicide. I didn't realize the awful secret was it being the world's most reliable AMC ;D. Seriously, the engine can be swapped out again, it's okay

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
                      Stuff like this used to be banned from AMC meets. The president of Windy City AMC lobbied for a class called "Frankenstein" cars, he got his wish.
                      Impeach him! Impeach him!

Are we even sure it's a real Machine?
                      How could it be? The Rebel Machine was first produced for '70. And the roof line was different.

Originally posted by meatwagon
                      I didn't realize the awful secret was it being the world's most reliable AMC ;D.
                      No, that would be one under-powered by aToyota Corolla lump. As it is, this "Targetmaster Reb" might be a finalist for the "World's Most Boring and Tasteless AMC."

Seriously, the engine can be swapped out again, it's okay
                      R-I-G-H-T. And you can get tattoos removed . . . Sandra Bullock can divorce that philandering weasel Jesse James . . .
                      . . . bad haircuts will eventually grow out . . .

No, this is the sort of horrible mess that SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE! One of the few proud survivors of the storied tradition of Thomas B. Jeffery Co, Rambler, Nash, Hudson, Willys, Kaiser-Jeep and American Motors shouldn't defiled with a wheezing, junkyard-fugitive 305 Chevy smogger.

The problem with the lazy swap-a-SBC-into-anything plan is that too many other languid cheapskates see it and want to copy it. And some of the copycats will invaribly "mess up" something with more importance than a '68 Rebel. Moreover, it also reduces the demand for real AMC parts, which hurts the AMC aftermarket.

So it's just like dealing with any other corrosive behaviors (e.g. vandalism, graffiti, petty theft) -- you've got to nip this kind of abject stupidity in the bud! If the hapless builder couldn't have done the right thing by keeping his Reb all AMC, he could have "kept it in the family" and swapped in a Gen III Hemi or other Mopar mill. At least that wouldn't be as insulting and brain-deadening as doing another sleep-inducing, NSRA-style bone-stock SBC retrofit.

Comment

o wow! I remember posting this on check this out a few wks ago. I'm glad you were able to see it in person, i remember seeing it was from Boston.

I also remember being kinda bummed about it being chevy powered at that price but the body and color alone made up for it.

Throwing a set of headers wouldnt be hard but still, at close to $10k it is kind of a bummer they aren't there already.

Also if it were up to me, I'd get rid of that chintzy Edelbrock air cleaner and those valve covers. Sorry, but to me that just screams cheap aftermarket, sorta like yellow plug wires- bleghh.

Comment

Does anyone know if a 455 would fit in there ok? SBC's/BBC's can be cool and all if they are tuned up and what have you, but otherwise they just end up being too pedestrian.

Hell, a tuned up 4.0 Jeep 6 would be cooler than that sorry 350.

We all could prolly think of a zillion better swaps for this gorgeous body... new thread idea???

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
                            Stuff like this used to be banned from AMC meets. The president of Windy City AMC lobbied for a class called "Frankenstein" cars, he got his wish. His feelings were to not exclude anyone from the dwindling supply of AMC's.
                            Still, there is nor reason for cars like this. Are we even sure it's a real Machine?
                            NO REASON FOR CARS LIKE THIS, REALLY,, REALLY
                            EVER HERE OF LOW BUDGET.
                            FIND ME A GOOD RUNNING AMC 304/390/ETC IN A JUNK YARD.. AND REMEMBER.
                            ALL THE AMC'S ROTTED OFF THE ROAD UP HERE 15 YEARS AGO

Comment

I bought my amc 360 for $200 bucks and (in theory) could have put rings and bearings in it to have it working again.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X