Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craigs List Find: A 1968 AMC Rebel With an Awful Secret

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    I bought my amc 360 for $200 bucks and (in theory) could have put rings and bearings in it to have it working again.

thats not running.. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Steelies
      Also if it were up to me, I'd get rid of that chintzy Edelbrock air cleaner and those valve covers. Sorry, but to me that just screams cheap aftermarket, sorta like yellow plug wires- bleghh.
      But canning the "Elite" Edelbrock air cleaner would probably mean you'd be dumping 1/3 of the speed parts (and 100% of the bling) on that pitiful mill. But it does surprise me to see a "LOW BUDGET" ghetto swap with any kind of an air cleaner. Many of the impoverished geniuses who dream up such abortions believe that a "nekkid" carb sucking in unfiltered air makes more power.

Those painted stamped-steel center-bolt valve covers don't scream "aftermarket." They scream "half-price day" a Pull-A-Part.

Originally posted by IRONHEAD

NO REASON FOR CARS LIKE THIS, REALLY,, REALLY
      EVER HERE OF LOW BUDGET.
      FIND ME A GOOD RUNNING AMC 304/390/ETC IN A JUNK YARD.. AND REMEMBER.
      ALL THE AMC'S ROTTED OFF THE ROAD UP HERE 15 YEARS AGO
      Some how I doubt you'd be YELLING the same tune if it were a LOW BUDGET Ford mill under that Reb's hood. (But I'd be making the same criticism)

Considering how many V8 Jeeps have been built in the past three decades, I find it hard to believe that somebody splurging on a $10k ride couldn't save up their welfare checks and panhandling money for something that was once factory-installed in a vehicle with AMC/Jeep lineage. (And yes, I'm aware that Maria Mopar nee Mother Mopar pulled the plug on the Gen III AMC V8 back in 1991)

Originally posted by Black Steelies
      Does anyone know if a 455 would fit in there ok?
      Dude! Look how far apart those shock towers are spaced. A 427 Cammer or a Boss 429 should fit . . . But DON'T DO IT! Maybe a Hemi would be OK in sort of a distant cousin-by-marriage way. And Kaiser-Jeep used Buick 350s in some Grand Wagoneers in the late '60s, so there's almost a weak case for swapping in a 455 Buick . . . .

Still, something as delightfully unusual as an AMC ought to run a real Rambler 'plant or at least "corporate" power.

Comment

sorry speedy,
        if a guys got a chevy and a ford engine and limited funds that be fine..
        or a guy that likes a chevy bodystyle with a ford engine.
        I have no issue with anything like that..
        I've done it.. 78 dodge colt engine in a '82 s-10 anyone..
        nice try speedo.. but your wrong AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
          I've done it.. 78 dodge colt engine in a '82 s-10 anyone..
          What? Were Briggs & Strattons too expensive?

I wouldn't too be surprised if that wasn't the only "colt" involved in the swap . . . .

I suspect I'd ride the bus before I'd wheel something like a Colt-powered S-10.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've had rather unplesant experiences with both Dodge Colts and S-10s (although not blended together into the same motley package of woe). The borrowed, nearly new S-10 exploded its clutch in a small town on Sunday night. The borrowed Colt was about 75,000 miles past due for a timing belt change (It's comforting to know the wheezing engine might catastrophically fail at any moment), sported OE struts that felt almost devoid of oil, and only one operating headlamp. Needless to say, every cop who saw it pogo past pulled me over.

Comment

Working...
          X