Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New National Demolition Derby Series Launched, Already Dwindling Supply of Full Sized Cars Doomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New National Demolition Derby Series Launched, Already Dwindling Supply of Full Sized Cars Doomed

Re: New National Demolition Derby Series Launched, Already Dwindling Supply of Full Sized Cars Doome

Terrible .Why dont they use Camrys and Civics?

Comment

Re: New National Demolition Derby Series Launched, Already Dwindling Supply of Full Sized Cars Doome

Swell - Cash for Clunkers II.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
        Terrible .Why dont they use Camrys and Civics?
        1,000,000x
        Originally posted by studemax
        Swell - Cash for Clunkers II.
        Only this time, pre-1984 cars are on the chopping block.

When you factor in new EPA/NHTSA on automotive greenhouse gas emissions announced yesterday (http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2010/...on-v8s-37.html) and the increasing probability that the 2016 Corvette will be powered by a V6 (http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2010/...vette-get.html, the future is shaping up as a lousy place for traditional Bangshifters.

Comment

That's one motorsport, if you can call it that, that I've never enjoyed watching. I find it painful. Almost as painful as watching a friend getting the snot beat out of him. I've never enjoyed the pure waste of vehicles involved in the sport.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

will it out last the import drags ?

Comment

If it wasn't for running demo derbies from 1983 to 1997 we wouldn't have the stock pile of 27 440 Mopars(we used 318's in the derby cars) we have now....and the dozen or so 727's...along with 8 3/4 posi rears....Demo Derby winnings actually financed mine and my dads drag racing early on. We still are tech officials at 3 local derbies. And we have 12 various makes of cars stored locally in case we ever get back into it.
              1957 Lincoln Preimer 2 dr HT
              1961 Olds 4 dr
              1962 New Yorker 4dr
              (3) 68 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr
              and my personal favorite...(5) 1972 Chevy Kingswood wagons.

We may have to come out of retirement to give this a shot........... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here's a a few pics of my daughters Derby car...

Note CAR JUNKIE TV.COM DECALS BELOW>>>>LOL

The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Re: New National Demolition Derby Series Launched, Already Dwindling Supply of F

I don't understand it. I like auto racing not auto destroying.

Comment

You know, I always hear people complaining that this is a waste of perfectly good cars, but no one ever wants to go "rescue" these cars that are destined for the demo-derby. Isn't it better to at least have some fun with them before their inevitable meeting with the crusher?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    That's one motorsport, if you can call it that, that I've never enjoyed watching. I find it painful. Almost as painful as watching a friend getting the snot beat out of him. I've never enjoyed the pure waste of vehicles involved in the sport.
                    Well said.
                    Originally posted by msc66
                    I don't understand it. I like auto racing not auto destroying.
                    "Mega dittos!"
                    Originally posted by ecniv
                    You know, I always hear people complaining that this is a waste of perfectly good cars, but no one ever wants to go "rescue" these cars that are destined for the demo-derby. Isn't it better to at least have some fun with them before their inevitable meeting with the crusher?
                    But that's not what happens. Demo cars are usually running used cars that unfortunately are at the low-point of depreciation. They're generally not revived salvage vehicles snatched from the jaws of "the crusher."

As long as these cheap RWD V8s are still in the used car market, an "inevitable meeting with the crusher" isn't certain.

Most certainly there should be a better salvage system that preserves serviceable parts of RWD V8s for future use. Demo derbies simply waste a lot of parts that ought to have a chance to be preserved. The same is likely true for many of the cars destroyed in the recent spate of "LeMons" races.

Some day, future Bangshifters will wish all those VINs, "cores" and spares that were wasted for such"fun" still existed as a basis for restoration and rodding project cars.

Derbies are really nothing more than thinly-organized vandalism. They are pointless destruction. What a waste!

Comment

But that's not what happens. Demo cars are usually running used cars that unfortunately are at the low-point of depreciation. They're generally not revived salvage vehicles snatched from the jaws of "the crusher."

As long as these cheap RWD V8s are still in the used car market, an "inevitable meeting with the crusher" isn't certain.

Most certainly there should be a better salvage system that preserves serviceable parts of RWD V8s for future use. Demo derbies simply waste a lot of parts that ought to have a chance to be preserved. The same is likely true for many of the cars destroyed in the recent spate of "LeMons" races.

Some day, future Bangshifters will wish all those VINs, "cores" and spares that were wasted for such"fun" still existed as a basis for restoration and rodding project cars.

Derbies are really nothing more than thinly-organized vandalism. They are pointless destruction. What a waste!

In our case...all the cars we have either came from a tow yard...or salvage yard....ALL either have rusted out floors in the drivers area....or we're vandalized to the point nothing could be saved. The ONLY pristine car we've every derbied was at the request of a man who's wife owned a 65 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe.....the wife passed after a long battle with cancer....he NEVER wanted anyone else to drive the car again. He approached us about giving the car a last HOORAH...we hated to do it...and tried to talk him out of it...he said it either gets derbied...or crushed!!!...so we stripped as many valuable parts off of it before it went to junkyard heaven.
                      These cars we've used over the years were in horrible shape....it was either us crush them...or they were going to the crusher...at least we pulled as many valuable parts off we could and sold them at swap meets and on line....A good Demo Derby guy treats the car not only as his race car...but saves what can be saved from certain death !!!!...Thats why we used 318's instead of 440's...RARITY !!!!!...if we hadnt pulled those 27 motors the would be HONDAS...ot TOYOTAS TODAY !!!!...but now their in the hands of HOT RODDERS.....there are gonna be 2 sides to this no matter what....you can't save them all.....believe me my dad has tried !!!!

Comment

Ron....great reply!
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The ONLY pristine car we've every derbied was at the request of a man who's wife owned a 65 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe.....the wife passed after a long battle with cancer....he NEVER wanted anyone else to drive the car again. He approached us about giving the car a last HOORAH...we hated to do it...and tried to talk him out of it...he said it either gets derbied...or crushed!!!...
                          That selfish husband was an IDIOT! He's probably the MORON who made the decision to "declare war" on the few remaining Elwood Engel-styled Imperials in the upcoming "Green Hornet" movie. Did that fool also burn or shred anything else that his wife ever used or touched so that future generations would be deprived of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                            The ONLY pristine car we've every derbied was at the request of a man who's wife owned a 65 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe.....the wife passed after a long battle with cancer....he NEVER wanted anyone else to drive the car again. He approached us about giving the car a last HOORAH...we hated to do it...and tried to talk him out of it...he said it either gets derbied...or crushed!!!...
                            That selfish husband was an IDIOT! He's probably the MORON who made the decision to "declare war" on the few remaining Elwood Engel-styled Imperials in the upcoming "Green Hornet" movie. Did that fool also burn or shred anything else that his wife ever used or touched so that future generations would be deprived of it?
                            That man could not bear the burden of watching someone else in his wifes car.....it was his decision.....his car....the headlight buckets and glass covers..taillights...along with all chrome trim and badges...and instrument cluster...A/C vents...etc...were all removed ...the only thing that was used up was the body...and bumpers....the parts removed were sold to a guy in NY restoring a 65 Crown Coupe...the money made(which was VERY handsome amount) was donated to the American Cancer Society in her name.
                            The car had sat for 15 years in their carport and the city was going to tow it as a blight violation. I'll post pictures of it soon....that and the 56 4dr New Yorker I ran...that was pulled out of a field it was sinking into.

Here's my first drag car..1990..we bought it from a guy who was going to Demo Derby it....we saved this one from certain death....purchase price.... 125.00

Comment

Good move on the Red Sled.

Comment

Working...
                              X