Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columnist Tells NHRA to Ditch Four-Wide Racing, Drivers Seem to Agree

Re: Columnist Tells NHRA to Ditch Four-Wide Racing, Drivers Seem to Agree

It's my understanding that PRO (the Professional Racers Organization) voted overwhelmingly that they did not wish to race four-wide anymore for points.
    That tells my that the racers were just putting on a good face for the TV show. Anyone else notice the empty seats in the stands?

What I watched of qualifying on Saturday told me all I needed to know - this should be the first and last Four-Wide Nats.
    It sucks, and no one can convince me otherwise.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

If I want to see more than 2 cars at a time, I'll go to NASCAR......and I NEVER go to a NASCAR event.

Please, no more 4 wide.

It was a novel experiment that sucked. I feel sorry for the racers. It might work for a 128 car Super Gas show, but please, no more Pro racing using this format.

Comment

NHRA is holding onto the rim as the toilet water swirls away under their feet. 1000ft has driven away I'd say 60% of their hard core base....I haven't watched a race on TV in 3 years.....too damn boring. In this day and age the general public is looking for something they can hold on to...relate to...that USED to be the draw of NASCAR...local boys...battling it out....now it's all glitz... Thats why the COT has killed NASCAR......and the NHRA is following the same doomed path with bat car FC's that dont remotely resemble anything.....now they cut 1/3 of the distance off the track?.....forget NHRA Championship Drag Racing....I'll stick with Nostalgia.....at least there I can tell a Ford from a Mopar !...I let my competition number go 4 years ago...havent missed it or that rag they send out....my .02
        The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

If the racers don't like 4 wide, and NHRA won't listen, then they need to just NOT show up at any 4 wide races. And I mean to a team...if no one shows, then they are all even, right? No points to anyone?
          I don't mind 1000 foot. But what do I know, I like 1/8 mile. I will not spend a dime to see another national event. I'm a lifelong drag racing fan and at age 51, I've been to exactly one NHRA event, and I'm only an hour from Joliet. Speed blob pro stockers, batmobile FC's, pretty much no low buck nitro teams, hour upon grating hour of super gas/comp/street....gimme a f'n break. I'll stick with friday nights at Cordova. A rusty straight axle Nova racing an 11 second full size Dodge pickup....now THATS racing.

Comment

NHRA is nothing more than a DOG & PONY show

Comment

Nice try, pal - but you have no idea what a dog and pony show is.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by bbnova
                NHRA is nothing more than a DOG & PONY show
                Amen brother!!!...Give me some fast street cars duking it out on the track and I'm happy. I thought they were on the right track with the pro mods, but they won't televise those....hell include the 1/4, semi and finals from the sportsman categories.....at least we can identify the cars
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

More than you ever know

Comment

Here's what one fan (who claims to have actually attended the race) wrote:

cplclegg89 wrote on 04/05/2010 08:33:44 AM:
                    I was at the 4-Wide Nationals on Sunday [sic] and thought it was awesome. So many times during eliminations, when it's just two cars, you know who will win by half track. That was never the case during this show. It was a race to the end each time between at least two cars. Plus, the earthshaking power of 32k hp was unbeliveable! As far as whether or not the race comes back as a points race or an All-Star race, I don't care, just as long as 4-Wide comes back next March. It was a great spectacle to see.

http://www.thatsracin.com/2010/04/03/31406/four-wide-drag-racing-a-fiasco.html#ixzz0kKvIBwzb
                    I find it amazing that the "purists" are so up in arms about this. Apparently the megabuck pro teams who voted against another Four-Wide Nats believe their fans are so STUPID that they cannot figure out who is advancing to the next round. They apparently prefer a series of "cookie-cutter" events among "cookie-cutter" cars that look mind-numbingly the same each week on TV.

The objections are really about money, plain and simple. The losers at Z-Max believed that they didn't get enough sponsor exposure. And the idea that the extra staging lights are too complicated for drivers to figure out is ridiculous. If they're that cognitively-challenged, perhaps they ought to retire.

The bottom line is that how could anybody reasonably discard the novel four-wide concept after only one rain-delayed race run during the middle of a brutal national recession?

Comment

If the skies were sunny and money was flowing like wine it would still be gay.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

How quickly public opinion changes . . . .

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Breaki...x-Dragway.html
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=15610.0

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                          Holy crap that's funny!! I forgot I was in my cubicle reading this and laughed way loud. Guess I'll wait awhile before using the can now so all the gophers popping their heads up don't see who it was...
                          Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            How true !!!
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                            X