Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Foose John Deere Project is Complete, Can They Put it Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Foose John Deere Project is Complete, Can They Put it Back?

Re: The Foose John Deere Project is Complete, Can They Put it Back?

It looks like something from "Johnny Tractor Saves the Day" or some other kids book I read my son years ago.
    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I guess it all depends on what the customer wanted huh???? Put some plates on it and drive it to work every day?
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

It has a few nice touches like what he's done with the front hood. But it definitely needs to be real Deere green - that metallic mint is hideous - and needs to lose the fake early Ford spreader bars (What was he thinking?!) and oversized lawn tractor tires.

Comment

I actually didn't mind the concept drawings..... They kind of strayed from that quite a bit....

I used to operate a 4020 growing up farm. It was the farm "loader" tractor and got used for everything. Great, tough machine.
          Makes me kind of sad that they pulled it out of a museum to turn it into this.....

I wonder if the JD PR guys are scratching their heads as well...... Exactly what demographic is this reaching?

Comment

Ahhh phooey, I was hoping it had air ride...

Kinda resembles an early sprint/indy car.

It's cool in it own sorta weird way.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Nope, you got it right, an oversized lawnmower with fancy paint.

Although if it went fast and could be street legal......

Comment

As with every fad, it eventually becomes self-fulfilling.

Guess Chip is no exception. Too bad that tractor will never be returned to stock, what a waist of decent iron.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Tractor purists, could we have a little perspective here?

John Deere built 184,879 Model 4020 tractors.

In contrast, Ford built 12,597 1932 Ford roadsters and 22,148 1932 3-Window Deluxe Coupes. Chevrolet built 19,014 1969 Z/28 Camaros.

Most Bangshifters don't freak out when they see a Boydster-style '32 or Foose-ified Z. I don't even recall seeing Bangshifters complaining about silly stuff like combine demolition derbies. So I'm puzzled at the outpouring of purist sentiment.

Foose's 4020 is not any worse than any number of "smoothed out" street rods or muscle cars. It has many retro-inspired details, such as the sprint car tail, the rolled belly pan, the hood streamlines, the simplified disc wheels, the quick-change style differential cover.

The integration of the striping with the engine paint is clean, attractive and visually linked to John Deere's decades of yellow accents. Even the slight deviation from "John Deere green" doesn't deprive the tractor of its identity. (As someone who has familiarity with oxidized "JDG" implement paint from the 1960s, Foose's metallic green pays subltle homage in an attractive (and less messy) way).

While I prefer tractors that feature a quartet of supercharged Boss 429s, Foose did an exemplary job of "smoothing out" a rather ordinary agricultural machine. It's not like he airbrushed a moustache on the Mona Lisa or cut up a Hemicuda convertible.

Comment

Looks great to me! Good job, Chip.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Seriously, some guys will bitch over anything. It's a TRACTOR. I think it's fun. Do you guys get all bent out shape when you see hacked up Radio Flyer wagon-rod things being pulled around at swap meets too?

Comment

I'm on the fence.

My understanding is that except for the paint, nothing was done to it that couldn't be unbolted and put back to original. This is (IIRC) because the tractor is being given away by John Deere and the lawyers got a nervous twitch. Is this correct?

I kind of want it, but I have no idea what I would do with it. My dad would certainly see that it gets dirty... :D His biggest gripe is that it has no 3-point-- "what use is such a tractor?" ;D I love my pop.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Seriously, some guys will bitch over anything. It's a TRACTOR. I think it's fun. Do you guys get all bent out shape when you see hacked up Radio Flyer wagon-rod things being pulled around at swap meets too?
                          Preach it, brother!
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I wasn't a fan myself until I read Speedy's post. Gotta admit, he's right on. But still, that "roof"...ugh

Comment

But it is hot out there on a tractor in the summertime.

Better?

The ROPS (rollbar) is difficult to elegantly integrate into the design. I'd have probably spoofed 'em with a Sprint car cage and a "Big Oly" roof . . . .

(They'd never confuse me with Foose)

Comment

Working...
                              X