Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rest in Peace: Hummer Brand Officially Dead

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    The Prius driving, tofu eating, tree hugging twits of Hollywood rejoice.
    whats your governator gunna do now ?
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

mmmmmm trophy wife

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
        Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        The Prius driving, tofu eating, tree hugging twits of Hollywood rejoice.
        whats your governator gunna do now ?
        He's got three H1's, including the first privately owned one. Of course, they all now run on bio diesel.

The H2 is a rebodied Tahoe with more weight, worse gas mileage, and ugly ass colors.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
          GM acquired the name "Hummer" and world-wide civilian marketing rights from AM General (which incidentally was a spin-off from American Motors that became necessary decades ago when AMC's level of foreign ownership disqualifed it from certain government contracts).

Back when Hummer used to offer a civilian version of the legendary High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, or Humvee), known in Hummer-speak as the H-1, AM General started building them and, after GM acquired the Hummer brand, continued to built them for GM under contract. The other (lesser) Hummers were simply rebodied GM trucks. However, AM General actually constructed some H-2s in a factory in Mishawaka, Ind.

The fact that both AM General and Jeep were once part of the same company was at the root of a much later "trade dress" dispute over whether Hummers could use a Jeep-esque seven-bar grille. Hummer won that contest.

Another bit of trivia: HMMWV's 6.5 diesel was originally sourced from GM. But when GM quit building it, AM General created a subsidary, General Engine Products LLC, to continue manufacturing the 6.5.
          the 6.5 as in non-turbo 21 to 1 diesel v8? I thought hummers had the crazy leaning diagonal lunacy of inline jackass.

so this means there is a winner version of the humv as well as the modern junk? I have never seen the winners..but somethingmust have kept it going..
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
            GM acquired the name "Hummer" and world-wide civilian marketing rights from AM General (which incidentally was a spin-off from American Motors that became necessary decades ago when AMC's level of foreign ownership disqualifed it from certain government contracts).

Back when Hummer used to offer a civilian version of the legendary High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, or Humvee), known in Hummer-speak as the H-1, AM General started building them and, after GM acquired the Hummer brand, continued to built them for GM under contract. The other (lesser) Hummers were simply rebodied GM trucks. However, AM General actually constructed some H-2s in a factory in Mishawaka, Ind.

The fact that both AM General and Jeep were once part of the same company was at the root of a much later "trade dress" dispute over whether Hummers could use a Jeep-esque seven-bar grille. Hummer won that contest.

Another bit of trivia: HMMWV's 6.5 diesel was originally sourced from GM. But when GM quit building it, AM General created a subsidary, General Engine Products LLC, to continue manufacturing the 6.5.
            the 6.5 as in non-turbo 21 to 1 diesel v8? I thought hummers had the crazy leaning diagonal lunacy of inline jackass.

so this means there is a winner version of the humv as well as the modern junk? I have never seen the winners..but somethingmust have kept it going..

The H3 is basically a re-bodied Trailblazer,
            and unfortunately shares it's engine(the 4.2, which IMO is a turd).

Comment

HMMWV's 6.5 diesel is in the military HMMWV. The civilian H1 was discontinued in ~ 2006. AM General does not support any civilian uses of the HMMWV (reportedly they won't even sell any parts to private citizens for ex-military HMMWVs)

The civilian Hummer H2 & H3 each use GM engines.

I'm not really sure why the GM 4.2 was criticized as a "turd." While I'm obviously no GM fanboy, the Vortec 4200 (LL8) has been quite a techological showcase. It was much more advanced than GM's LS-series engines, featuring four valves per cylinder, dual-overhead cams, and variable valve timing on the exhaust cam. It was one of Ward's Ten Best Engines for several years running. Despite conservative cam timing and rev limits, it packed a ~ 1.15 horspower-per-cube punch in its final iteration. Perhaps the "turd" part was that it was saddled with GM's uncompetitive GMT-360 platform (Trailblazer/Envoy/Ascender/Bravada/Rainier/9-7X), which has been discontinued. The 4.2 also achieved modest success in off road racing.

Of course, the H3 uses a five cylinder (not six) 3.7 liter engine (in the same family as the Vortec 4200) or an optional 5.3 LS-series OHV V8. http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_hummer_h3_suv/

Comment

While I understand how well they've done in competition,
                and strides made in design and manufacturing,
                I see em everyday, noisy, leaking, with less than 100k.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                  are you gonna bitch when your mustang has header ringing "noisy,noise"
                  and you wonder why trucks are not TRUCKS, even the tech cry that an engine is "noisy"
                  go suck on a latte

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main

The H3 is basically a re-bodied Trailblazer,
                    and unfortunately shares it's engine(the 4.2, which IMO is a turd).
                    no - it's has the 3.5l/3.7l 5 cylinder from the Colorado/Canyon or the 5.3l V-8

It's funny to me to see the hating when most here have never driven one. y'all should know better.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                      and you wonder why trucks are not TRUCKS, even the tech cry that an engine is "noisy"
                      go suck on a latte

You can go suck something too, bud.

I'm speaking from expirience, you sspeak
                      from behind a desk.

F.O.

Comment

go suck on a latte

You can go suck something too, bud.

I'm speaking from expirience, you sspeak
                        from behind a desk.

F.O.
                        haha .. min it's a truck not a catty..
                        bitches like above is why trucks now cost twice what they did in 85
                        you think with my gramma ans spelling I work behind a desk...
                        I'm behind one.. alot.. but more hands on. in field work

Comment

You expect some noise, but these sound like
                          their full of rocks.
                          I don't want a truck that drives like a Caddy(not catty),
                          but I also don't need to be scared to drive
                          an essentially a new engine.

Just because it's GM, doesn't mean
                          it's good, also just because you're a fan
                          of GM, doesn't mean you should stand up for everything they do.

My 'Stang will make noise...from the exhaust.
                          Not from piston slap...not from the valvetrain...not from chain slap.

Rant over... :P

Comment

min..
                            I'm not a fan of that truck or engine,, but.. it's a truck..
                            motor trend/etc and yuppies. are why we have truck cabs that rival a lincoln..
                            thats why I said latte

Comment

min..
                              I'm not a fan of that truck or engine,, but.. it's a truck..
                              motor trend/etc and yuppies. are why we have truck cabs that rival a lincoln..
                              thats why I said latte

Sure, I'll wash down the caviar with it.

Comment

Bean Buritto anyone?

Just trying to add some levity to the situation...... personally I'm wondering just how badly they want to push those leftover hummers. Not that I would get one, they don't make them in Van bodies.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X