Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Ad Video: The 1967 Pontiac GTO

Re: Classic Ad Video: The 1967 Pontiac GTO

Yeah, I was born at least thirty years too late.

Great ad. I gave up cigarettes 382 days ago, and suddenly I feel like lighting a smoke, pouring a scotch neat, and doing something unapologetically male.

Nobody lecturing me about how much gas I burn, or what kind of mileage my car gets, or challenging me on my carbon footprint or what I am doing for the "environment"

Raise a glass tonight wherever you are to the 1960's. A time when the Marlboro man was still punchin' doggies, Steve McQueen was driving cars we could only dream of owning harder than anyone should have ever dared...as a hobby, and the Hippies were still only DREAMING about ru(i)nning the country.

Comment

Sippin' some Jack on your suggestion.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Dad bought a '67 GTO in 1970. All I remember of it (I was 10) was that it was black, had a floor shifter with a white knob and was fast as hell! Here's to Dad, Pontiac and gasoline. 8)

Comment

He said "The Great One" about 500 times because they didn't want GM Chairman James Roche to miss it.

James Roche, the chairman of General Motors, had already been doing a slow burn about Pontiac's GeeTO Tiger and Wide Track Tigers advertising campaign. He simply didn't like it, and every magazine ad he read and every TV spot he watched just added to his anger. . . . [Jim]Wangers' first responsibility was to set the tone for the 1967 GTO introduction. For the public to forget the Tiger, he needed a them that would set a new direction for the GTO. "We took liberty with the initials GTO and came up with TGO -- The Great One."
          http://www.1967gto.com/history.html

BTW, the actor in the spot with the deeply resonant "3-packs-a-day" voice -- Paul Richards -- also did commercials for . . . Michelob? Apparently so. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0724268/otherworks

Comment

Working...
          X