Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Drag Video: A 1960 Impala Twisting Itself Up Like a Pretzel

Re: Killer Drag Video: A 1960 Impala Twisting Itself Up Like a Pretzel

great googly moogly thats wicked, ive seen the still photos before but never the video, awsum !
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Yupp.Could watch this all day ;D

Comment

Reminds me of an awesome racecar from my youth that did those wild high-sided launches. Here in Wichita a vintage Impala like this ran the local drags as "The Eradicator" - light metallic blue with big red letters down the sides. Pappy Cline's Speed Shop was the owner/builder/sponsor - used to handle staging in farmers coveralls and a white t-shirt. Supposedly someone is restoring the old warrior. When it is finished, hope it runs just like the one in the video.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

That car races at Cordova and Wisconsin International. Leaves like that every time. I read somewhere he's knocked the glass out of it.

Comment

I have seen this car in person many times, it is very impressive, it looks like the car is going to flip over. A friend of mine said it best when he said that after he makes a run it is hard to believe that he can open and close the door with no problem. Supposedly he stages at a slight angle to compensate.

Comment

Those X frame Impy's are a tad bit flexy.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I don't see the body flexing, it looks like the whole chassis just rocks to the right from torque.

I guess I fail to see what's impressive about the equivalent of making tons of power and not knowing how to put it down properly?
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  I don't see the body flexing, it looks like the whole chassis just rocks to the right from torque.

I guess I fail to see what's impressive about the equivalent of making tons of power and not knowing how to put it down properly?
                  It's funny how many Impalas of 59-62 that I've seen do that. One of our own members has a yellow 60 that does the same thing. The frame is only 16 inches wide in the middle of the car directly under the front seat. There nothing to prevent it from twisting at that point.

I once raced on the street with a guy that had a red 63 409 car that flexed badly. He had a 8 pt cage in it too. He was constantly welding and patching the frame cause it cracked all the time. He did that right up until he died welding the frame with the vent tube disconnected from the tank. Boom. Blew the car off the lift through the ceiling of the shop and it all came down on him.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of Charlene Woods Tons Of Fun 1972 Pontiac Lemans wagon from upstate NY in the mid'70's - had a GTO ram air nose on it - ran I/SA with a 455 poncho - left front tire 4 ' up ever launch, it would carry the front wheel 20' out ...

this is the car that got me into wagon's....
                    http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_01.html

Comment

I bet JeffMc is spinning in circles right now ;D
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                      X