No announcement yet.

Great Underdog Read: North American Eagle Land Speed Project Making Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Underdog Read: North American Eagle Land Speed Project Making Progress

Re: Great Underdog Read: North American Eagle Land Speed Project Making Progress

theres a guy ive chatted with on another forum and hes one of the crew guys on that rocket sled, hes posted up some links of them testing the car last year, said they still have alot of bugs to work out on it
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Re: Great Underdog Read: North American Eagle Land Speed Project Making Progress

So what's the top speed of a F-104?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        A hair over mach 2.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
          A hair over mach 2.
          Perfect, a 50% engineering factor. :D

Comment

This project is like the most insane idea ever, in my opinion.

Smarty pants guys....is there a big, obvious reason that this wouldn't work? It seems like too simple an approach after reading about the massive effort behind Thrust SSC. Then again, KISS may be the path to the promise land.

The bottom line question. Are these guys nuts or genius?

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I think they are crazy enough to pull it off.
              terry

Comment

I think they are crazy enough to die trying....
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

next time i chat with the guy on the other forum, i'll see if i can get him to come in on here and chime in on the progress
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Smarty pants guys....is there a big, obvious reason that this wouldn't work? It seems like too simple an approach after reading about the massive effort behind Thrust SSC. Then again, KISS may be the path to the promise land.

Brian

In my opinion...pure genius.

Comment

A hair over mach 2.
                      But that's at 40k feet and or so. Recalculate for ground level. Mach 1 is 100 mph faster and the jet engine is down on power due to 120 degree warmer intake air.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Brian
                        Just looking at the Thrust SSC vehicle, I don't think they spent much time worrying about thrust vs drag calcs either. They just brought a pair of really big hammers that they knew would do the job. That freed them up to worry about the other big issues they faced: non-exploding wheels, directional stability, safety, track conditions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
                          A hair over mach 2.
                          But that's at 40k feet and or so. Recalculate for ground level. Mach 1 is 100 mph faster and the jet engine is down on power due to 120 degree warmer intake air.
                          Denser count for nothing for power?

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
                            A hair over mach 2.
                            Denser count for nothing for power?
                            It would if the materials in the hot section could handle "full" power at sea level.

Comment

I think the magnetic brakes are pretty intresting, but I have my doubts about just taking the wings off of something that normally flys in the air, and hoping it stays on the ground at 800mph.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                              X