Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR Track Operator Calls Start and Park Drivers Thieves

Re: NASCAR Track Operator Calls Start and Park Drivers Thieves

That guy is an idiot. They showed up, qualified, and started the race. Regardless of their intent, that's more effort than 99.999 percent of the rest of the racing world made, so who are they stealing from, the guys who didn't show up? If NASCAR has deemed that last place deserves that kind of purse payout, then so be it. However, if NASCAR wants to prevent the practice, there is a simple solution. Mandate a minimum percentage of total race laps to be completed in order for a starter to be considered a finisher, and then stipulate that only finishers receive points and purse payouts. Many of other sanctioning bodies have rules like this, with the percent ranging anywhere from 50 to 70 percent of the total laps completed by the winner.

Comment

Does NHRA even pay $85,000 to win Top Fuel?
      I remember one season where fuel funny car racer Dale Creasy Jr. attended the entire tour, and never qualified once. I wonder how much that cost him?

Comment

Originally posted by King Matt
        That guy is an idiot. They showed up, qualified, and started the race. Regardless of their intent, that's more effort than 99.999 percent of the rest of the racing world made, so who are they stealing from, the guys who didn't show up? If NASCAR has deemed that last place deserves that kind of purse payout, then so be it. However, if NASCAR wants to prevent the practice, there is a simple solution. Mandate a minimum percentage of total race laps to be completed in order for a starter to be considered a finisher, and then stipulate that only finishers receive points and purse payouts. Many of other sanctioning bodies have rules like this, with the percent ranging anywhere from 50 to 70 percent of the total laps completed by the winner.
        ok matt,,
        think this through.. you got at any race 7 to 10 cars that ARE GOING TO START AND PARK..
        maybe if you ice this, more nationwide teams might try to get in the big show,, and RACE..
        see the problem that you're BLIND TO. is the fans, you know the ones that take 4 days off from work, use their vacations.. are sick of this.. and not filling the seats.. we don't want to see ted mushdrave,, on the track then 15 laps in.. in the garage loaded up and hauler on it's way out the doorr.

let teams that really want to race race..
        you also don't understand that the truck guys, the nationwide guys, the ASA(or what ever it's called now) would love to strap in and GET SEAT TIME AT THOSE TRACKS THAT NASCAR SPRINT CUP RUN.. you know seat time.. very importance.. and this start and park, is stop'n alot of this, then they get to the big game and cause problems, cause they haven't run those tracks enough and with these drivers..
        sorry matt the guys starting out in a cup used car, don't have the best gear and can't get into the show because of a team that will be faster on friday, get on the grid, run the back off the pase(don't want to hurt and body panels,) and then roll into the garage ,on the hauler and out the track,,"mail us our check"
        sorry matty boy, that doesn't help the up and comers or the fans, the tracks, or nascar,, I liked your input when you and D.F. WORKED TOGETHER.. somethings changed,,
        who cares if they leasted an engine from a top team to get in the field,,,ran two laps, and sat on the track sunday.. they already sold the tires they bought, and are only there for the welfare check..
        sorry that isn't racing,, or motorsports..

Comment

I'm not really a NASCAR guy. But is it also possible that some of these "start and park" cars by qualifying are taking the spots that other cars would like to have, but didn't run as fast in qualification? Spots that those other cars would like to have to actually, uh, race? I see no value whatsoever to permitting "start and park". NASCAR should do something about it.

Comment

The way I see it, they are just playing by the rules NASCAR has in place. If NASCAR does not like it, they can change the rules and eliminate it. $85k for last place? Where do I sign up? $85k x 36 races = over 3 million bucks a year for last place. I think I am in the wrong business.... ;D
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD

ok matt,,
              ...you're BLIND TO....you also don't understand ...
              ...very importance..
              ...sorry matt...
              ...sorry matty boy...
              ...I liked your input when you and D.F. WORKED TOGETHER.. somethings changed,,...
              ...are only there for the welfare check...
              ...sorry...
              Jeez, Ironhead...and that all was your edited version?

Anyhow if NASCAR doesn't like it they can change their rules to discourage it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
                The way I see it, they are just playing by the rules NASCAR has in place. If NASCAR does not like it, they can change the rules and eliminate it. $85k for last place? Where do I sign up? $85k x 36 races = over 3 million bucks a year for last place. I think I am in the wrong business.... ;D
                one car is 119,000.00 plus..
                you'll need at least 2 (per track type)
                engines are 50k and up.. hauler, rig team
                it's only good for teams that already have the gear.
                to many that want seat time can't get it.. it also gives the top teams a big help. as they'll pit behind that start and park and have a clear shot out of the pit..
                I think they should , if they can't stop these this year(rule book) the start and park car should be parked in it's pit..
                if it gets hit to bad..

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
                  Originally posted by IRONHEAD

ok matt,,
                  ...you're BLIND TO....you also don't understand ...
                  ...very importance..
                  ...sorry matt...
                  ...sorry matty boy...
                  ...I liked your input when you and D.F. WORKED TOGETHER.. somethings changed,,...
                  ...are only there for the welfare check...
                  ...sorry...
                  Jeez, Ironhead...and that all was your edited version?

Anyhow if NASCAR doesn't like it they can change their rules to discourage it.
                  yes they can next year,, but, if you remember matt was building a car to road race,, what if you got no seat time because of a few teams that start and park..
                  that is why I thought it SAD that he has that view..

def not a view from a racer

Comment

It's all about having money to make the next race. Maybe the hope of getting real sponsor money in between that next race. A pipe dream really. Sponsors want to see their cars on TV. That isn't going to happen if all you do is park it 3 laps into the race. I watched the Texas race and they don't even announce who parked.

Teams with only one car and no back up also can't afford to have their car wrecked during the race. They wouldn't have the funds to build another car and get to the next race, so they make the choice of getting to the next race.

I agree tha Nascar should change the rules on payouts to teams that just park the car. I think the happy medium paying the team that raced and wrecked or blew up the $85,000; and substantially less to those teams that just parked their car. The amount of inspections going on at the track, it wouldn't be that hard to verify mechanical failure.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                      It's all about having money to make the next race. Maybe the hope of getting real sponsor money in between that next race. A pipe dream really. Sponsors want to see their cars on TV. That isn't going to happen if all you do is park it 3 laps into the race. I watched the Texas race and they don't even announce who parked.

Teams with only one car and no back up also can't afford to have their car wrecked during the race. They wouldn't have the funds to build another car and get to the next race, so they make the choice of getting to the next race.

I agree tha Nascar should change the rules on payouts to teams that just park the car. I think the happy medium paying the team that raced and wrecked or blew up the $85,000; and substantially less to those teams that just parked their car. The amount of inspections going on at the track, it wouldn't be that hard to verify mechanical failure.
                      sorry these teams are not the ones with one car..
                      and if you look at the listing of car spots, it'll list in garage.. if you didn't see it in the wall or smoke flowing from under it.. it 98% was parked..
                      answer me this,, what about the teams that spend the money to get to the race, and are 44/45/46/47 fastest and watch the first 15 laps to see the cars ahead of them park for no reason, what about that teams fans that found a way to get there.. or all the other fans that came to see 43 cars race..
                      I've been that 44th car,,

Comment

Ironhead, I don't know who you are, but don't tell me about the commitment it takes to go racing. I'm doing it, and spending my own money, so I know what it takes. You're talking about start and parkers taking racing spots about from ARCA, ASA, Truck teams, etc. What is stopping them from showing up, qualifying, and earning those positions and money? NOTHING. If those teams can qualify ahead of the start and park teams, that money is there for them to take. So go after it big boy, don't piss and moan about the man holding you back. Or lobby to change the rule, like I suggested, because until the rules change, there is no reason for someone not to exploit it to their advantage. That's what RACERS do.

Comment

im with the track owner on this, if they are there, they should hafta race. If I wanted to watch just watch 20 some odd cars race, I'd watch IRL or CART or what ever its called this week
                          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Gotta agree with Ironhead on this one. The rules should be changed. Racing spots are to race. Not park. I'd agree that by qualifying they earned the right to race. They didn't earn the right to get paid if they're not going to race. Just because the rules make it "legal" doesn't make it right.

What may be (I'm not sure, just saying it's possible) stopping them from "showing up, qualifying, and earning those positions and money"? Maybe teams with even more money that do this just to pull in the $85K without expending much effort - yet they leave less well funded cars that actually want to race out in the cold.

There are plenty of things that people do to take advantage. In many cases those same people are sheepish about it because even they know it's "wrong" and violates the spirit of the activity. The whole purpose of this thread WAS that the rule should be changed. There are reasons for people not to exploit it. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by King Matt
                              Ironhead, I don't know who you are, but don't tell me about the commitment it takes to go racing. I'm doing it, and spending my own money, so I know what it takes. You're talking about start and parkers taking racing spots about from ARCA, ASA, Truck teams, etc. What is stopping them from showing up, qualifying, and earning those positions and money? NOTHING. If those teams can qualify ahead of the start and park teams, that money is there for them to take. So go after it big boy, don't piss and moan about the man holding you back. Or lobby to change the rule, like I suggested, because until the rules change, there is no reason for someone not to exploit it to their advantage. That's what RACERS do.
                              NO MATT RACERS RACE,,, GET BENT OUT OF SHAPE IF THEY GET TAKEN OUT AND GET A DNF..
                              THATS A RACER...

Comment

Working...
                              X