Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Goliath Update: Our Perfect Plan Goes to Hell

Re: Project Goliath Update: Our Perfect Plan Goes to Hell

Excellent pictures Brian - my favorite was your helper in the wheel well with the wrench you were soon to be looking for !!
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

That is a clean bottom end! ;D

That is greatness Tom standing up under the fender well with the tire in place.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        That is greatness Tom standing up under the fender well with the tire in place.
        I thought that was kinda neat. ;D
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
          Excellent pictures Brian - my favorite was your helper in the wheel well with the wrench you were soon to be looking for !!
          My dad said he used to find some of his tools in the spring when the snowbanks melted in the backyard. When I was little I guess I would walk up out of the basement, open the door, and toss them in the snow in the backayard, ot at least the story went.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Hey, at least the 46 year old bearings still look bitchin'.

Pull the bearing out, look at the back, see what the date code is...might not be as old as you think.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Great coverage. A couple of comments -
              1. I know the "Royal We" (as I call it) form is the expected method - but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. When you start talking about "our wife" it sounds like Keri is practicing plural marriage, which I don't think she is. Sometimes it works better to say "me" and "I", depending on context. I've had this discussion with David F and he comes down on the side of the way you wrote it, and I know that's the accepted standard.

2. For many years I thought rings ALWAYS came individually packaged like that. I think every set I ever installed up until 1985 or so were in those packages, including NAPA, Sealed Power, and Hastings - maybe others. The first time I got a set with top, middle, and bottom packed in boxes of like kind I figured the world was going to Hell. I may have been right.

3. The bearings and crank DO look great. If the OP was good I wouldn't touch 'em. I don't think any of my 250s have needed crank work either - the crank is not a weak point in this engine design. I'm not sure why the crank in John's 292 was turned, but who knows?

4. The shots of Tom are priceless. I hope he didn't get TOO greased up - I'm thinkin' he's in the vicinity of all kinds of grease Zerks. I learned early that grease will make Mommies yell. I still don't understand it (although I now have two sets of clothes).

Dan

Comment

When you started this project, WHAT did I tell you about those exhaust manifold studs? Kudos to Brian for doing this without wearing latex gloves like those pussy car magazine guys.

Comment

Oh man, a Cummins 6bt would be perfect for that truck.

Comment

Originally posted by kstanbach
                    Oh man, a Cummins 6bt would be perfect for that truck.
                    Oh no it wouldn't. Its perfect just as it is. If it were being built to drag a trailer all over, THEN you put in a Cummins. I think stylin' and profilin' are the order of the day here.

Comment

Done yet?
                      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Cute lil guy in the wheelwell.

Keep up the good work, Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                          Cute lil guy in the wheelwell.

Keep up the good work, Brian.
                          Your boss didn't look happy about the unexpected increase in expenses.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'd be inclined to believe that you could swap a smaller suction cup onto the tool you were using. When I rebuilt a head on a small import a few years ago, I used a Briggs and Stratton valve lapper because the size was just right. I found that both the standard valve lapper and the Briggs version had a suction cup on each end, giving me a total of four sizes to work with. I've since lapped everything from small blocks to dirt bikes. The suction cups from a hand lapper might fit nicely on your Father in law's lapping tool.

BTW, Bud Light isn't really drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Weldangrind
                              BTW, Bud Light isn't really drinking.
                              As much as I agree, this guy drinks straight whiskey like no one else I know, and I know a lot of drunks! So the water is for serious work.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X