Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Day: Is it OK to Spec a new Camaro or Mustang With a V6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Day: Is it OK to Spec a new Camaro or Mustang With a V6?

Re: Question of the Day: Is it OK to Spec a new Camaro or Mustang With a V6?

all depends...
    if it's your only car the v8 might get old(fuel cost) yes it gets almost the sameish EPA ratings.. but the EPA tester didn't have leadfoot..
    with 300+ hp in a v6 now.. ( almost double what my 1986 t/a had and more than most g body's)
    alot of people don't "need it"
    take my wife.. she'd like a bumblebee clone(transformers,) or a 2004 um stang.. she doesn't need ,nor want tire boiling power.. and would never use it..
    but if your in the market for a 70's muscle car to restore... these two and the mopar.. will cost you less on the long run.. and will pickle the older stuff.. without try'n
    but if it was me buy'n one.. it have to be lsv8/stick..
    but we are not most of the buy'n public

Comment

I don't know, my '05 Dodge Magnum station wagon has the big V6 in it.............

And it's a BAD mother for a grocery-getter. ;D Anything more (like the V8 options) would be welcome, of course, but even my power-hungry self has to admit that this one is "adequate", and any more would be excessive. Gets 24 mpg city, 30 highway too, not bad in my book.

Said wagon weights #4300 by the way. No strip times, but I suprise at least one unsuspecting driver almost every week. And tow rating of #2200 gets used too, just like station wagons were meant to be used.

I'm thinking the new V6's have a lot to offer.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

my dad has a 08 stang with the V6, he test drove the V8 and V6 and them compaired insurnce rates, The V6 came home and I get to drive the car alot since my truck gets used to do all the hauling around and myself, I enjoy the V6 for city driving and the gas mileage. I filled up before heading out to Austin for the Roundup and its 3 hours each way and made it back on the same tank of gas, plus the cool thing about the car is that it has the Pony Package, which is it has the looks of a V8 car but its got the 6 under the hood

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

At this point in today's day and age, I think the biggest factor is the intended use of the car. As has been said before, if it's for your daily drive/grocery getter, then for those of us not independantly wealthy the V6 would be the choice. Now some can say that the V6's of today aren't that far off from the power of the old V8's, but you also need to take into account the extra 1-2,000 lbs of today's pony cars.

Like a lot of things today, I think the economics of it, and whether you can swing V8 gas consumption has a lot to do with it.
          sigpic

Comment

In a few years I may be looking for a used 2011 V6 stick Mustang. The power and torque figures are pretty close to the 2005-2010 V8 GT, and with a bit less weight over the nose, it has the potential to be a fun car out on the road course with some tweaks to the brakes and suspension.

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

The V6 still doesn't sound like the V8.......

Comment

I just wish they'd make the safety garbage standard[b]but[b]deletable

Comment

Originally posted by Leon
                  The V6 still doesn't sound like the V8.......
                  True, but they do have some "soul" to them now, not like days gone by where you could pick 'em out a block away.....
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I stopped in at a local hipo mustang shop to ask a few questions bout the V6 stang and the shop owner told me the best and only mods he would do is an aftermarket intake and chip it. He also said he wouldnt touch the exhaust cause its already a free flow type and doing anything to it would only hurt it and would be a waste. The car has enough pop for me if its a V6 with an autotranny
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I wouldn't drive a V6 stang here in Hawaii. Makes you look like a tourist in a rental.

Comment

I'm with Joebogey. It depends on how you're going to use the car. As a DD I'd pick the six and maybe mess with it a little. For a weekend warrior, the V8 for sure - and mess with it a LOT!

Dan

Comment

The V6 Camaro is what, 310 horsepower? And in 1969 you could get a 396 Camaro with 325 horsepower, and back then it was gross horsepower? I could live with the V6. If it was just for a toy, V8 is the only way to go.

Comment

Buying a used V6 in a few years I might be able to do, but I don't think I'd ever be able to mark that box if I was buying new. The V8's don't get that bad of mileage these days anyway that I could probably live with it.

Comment

they did this v6 option, and straight six (even older ) with cars that had v8 capable... and ya know it all sucked and still does.

get a v8. :

of course, I am still baffled at live axles under these cars...damn man. As if they couldnlt learn something from a 55 year old mercedes. >
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X