Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incredible Shop Tour Gallery: A Peek at the Inventory of Then and Now Automotive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible Shop Tour Gallery: A Peek at the Inventory of Then and Now Automotive

Re: Incredible Shop Tour Gallery: A Peek at the Inventory of Then and Now Automotive

Awesome story and pictures, thanks for sharing :-*

Comment

Re: Incredible Shop Tour Gallery: A Peek at the Inventory of Then and Now Automotive

Just beautiful. There was a time, not so long ago, that a shop like this would not have been so unusual.
      Now, what is that part that "true busted knuckle" would know? I thought I was one, but I guess not. I see "Delco" on it, I thought starter except the helical gear.

Comment

It's a generator/distributor ign. unit, but I can't guess what it's from. Possible a generator/starter too. Early 20s?

Very cool story.

Comment

whoa :o
          cork clutch, Hudson?
          what's punch press for? riveting linings on brake shoe's?
          really diggin that ac hand held mechanical clutch,guy I used to work for had one,worked really well.

see any Howard's camshafts for GMC 302 I6?

Comment

You want to see lots of parts ?

Look here

Find parts for your old car at a gigantic, Texas warehouse. No computers here, just the photographic memory of one classic car lover. Antique Auto Supply, Ar...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yoyodyne
              It's a generator/distributor ign. unit, but I can't guess what it's from. Possible a generator/starter too. Early 20s?

Very cool story.
              Very close guess! It's called a starterator for an early 20's 4 cylinder Buick. The helical gear on the end meshes with the timing gear. And speaking of timing gears, there are litterally thousands of them between all the different buildings we have. Timing chains? Oh ya, we make them.

Originally posted by ch1ll
              whoa :o
              cork clutch, Hudson?
              what's punch press for? riveting linings on brake shoe's?
              really diggin that ac hand held mechanical clutch,guy I used to work for had one,worked really well.

see any Howard's camshafts for GMC 302 I6?
              The cork clutch disc is for a Hudson.
              That machine is actually a press for making tail light lenses. The molds have long since disappeared, but you never know what we might uncover some day. The brake shoe riviting machine, or one of the three we have, is in the shop, but I dont use it. Yet.
              Unfortunately out of the thousands of camshafts we have scattered about, there aren't any Howard's, but there are quite a few from Comp Cams. I'll bet there is one there for a 302 I6 though. How many camshafts can you fit in three 4' X 4" X 4" gaylords? We use the other cams as blanks if we need a special grind. No, I don't do that, we send them out.

Comment

Thank you very much for coming over for the 25 cent tour Brian and Tony. There were a few more buildings nearby that we didn't get to visit due to time restraints, not to mention the buildings 150 miles away. Those are mind boggeling to say the least. I can't wait for the return visit, I have a great idea that I think you and the readers might enjoy.

Comment

Horsing around in the machine shop is going to be a blast...so long as my shirt doesn't get caught in the lathe. :-[ :D
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I wouldn't be worried about the lathe as much as the rollers used for squishing the rubber for the mounts. That thing even scares me. :o

Comment

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to post that. The two things that got me were; the art work and seeing "made in USA" on everything.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I dont think "Made in anywhere else" was invented when most of these parts were made. The owner is very strict when it comes to imported parts. We've had many overseas companies offer incredible prices to make some of the parts we sell on a daily basis. The phone call usually ends with "GOOD DAY!" End of conversation.

Comment

Working...
                        X