Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophe: Beech Bend Raceway Suffers Massive Flooding

Re: Catastrophe: Beech Bend Raceway Suffers Massive Flooding

I hope they are able to clean her up fast. Bowling Green is one of the Power Tour stops (next month) and a few of us Forum Freaks were going to run there to take care of some grudge matches
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

It is in the top 5 of the the coolest drag strips in the country. It's the Fenway Park of drag racing.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The place and the people who run it are way cool, lets hope for the best

Comment

According to Odell on the website link, the photos were taken at noon and the river wasn't expected to crest until at least 6PM. With a rise rate of 8" per hour, according to Odell, that would add an additional 48" or 4' to what is already there! With that info., that would put the electronic scoreboards under water; that is crazy-high water! That would be akin to the flood of '93 in the southern IL/eastern MO area; I personally saw the flood and aftermath. I tell you, it looked like a war zone! I have never seen such devastation before! Of course, in '93, the water took nearly a month to recede, something I pray doesn't happen here.

Buildings can be replaced and if necessary, outside vendors can be contracted to supply whatever is needed, such as food, memorabilia, toilets, etc. If, however, the track surface starts to lift, all bets are off on this facility being repaired any time soon.

Comment

We are planning to go to the HRR as well so I hope they get it sorted out by then. I've raced at that track several times and it's a good facility. I don't care much for Dallas, but the other staff seem okay.

Take a look at Bluegrass Raceway's facebook page. It's under water too. This is a local 1/8th mi strip for us and has the most consistent hook around. Hope the track doesn't lift....

Comment

Even the big boat Buicks can't run in that pond water. Unfortunately, in the wake of this natural disaster the flooding has officially cancelled the Buick Nationals. The dates have been rescheduled to 19-24 Oct......change your reservations if possible.
              May the best of luck go out to Dallas Jones and his family during these times. Beech Bend is one of Drag Racings great tracks. I look forward to it's return.

Comment

no worries, just book boat drags..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                  exactly what i was thinking. Maybe the first ever swamp buggy drags too.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                    exactly what i was thinking. Maybe the first ever swamp buggy drags too.
                    That picture makes the whole place look like a sippy hole!

Comment

The NMCA was scheduled to have had a race there this past weekend. ProMedia pulled the plug on the event on Friday and sent everyone home. Thankfully, no racers had their stuff at the track!

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                      X