Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno Video: A Cross-Rammed 302 Singing on the Pump

Re: Dyno Video: A Cross-Rammed 302 Singing on the Pump

That thing didn't even hiccup .... I'd like to see it at 10k!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Through the mufflers, no crossover or x-pipe, no custom-bent headers (at least they didn't look like it).... Didn't look like anything uber-exotic.

Nice music. Not much torque, but for its intended purpose...it's perfecto. Cool vid. Now they need to put it in a car and share that.

Comment

Oh boy -- there's nothing more boring than an engine sitting stationary on a dyno, even with sound. All you guys that think this is exciting need to get out in the real world, visit a local engine shop and witness a couple of dyno pulls in person.

That said, I can tell you all firsthand that there truely is nothing like a 302 SBC at full sing. In 1973, we had a 302 built by Bob Joenck (Santa Barbara, CA) that cranked out 600 HP @ 9,200 RPM on Edelbrock's dyno. It featured 12.5:1 compression, Joenck-ported heads, a .600" lift Crane roller, the latest Edelbrock tunnel ram and two 600 CFM Holley carbs. Bobby Meeks ran the dyno and tweaked the tune-up.

We ran that motor in a Ron Butler-built E/MP 1969 Chevy Nova in Modified Eliminator. At 11.0 lbs per cubic inch, the car weighed 3,377 lbs and on 11.5 inch wide Goodyears set new class records of 10.94 et and 126.00 mph during the Division 6 points meet at Mission City, BC in August of '73. That same basic engine combo went on to power Tom Turner's F/G Corvette (built by Art Morrison) to 9.60 et's at 144.00+ mph.

We ran a 6.14 rear gear in both of those cars with 40 lb flywheels to trick the tires into thinking the motor had some torque to get off the starting line. Once in high gear that little motor would really charge.

Comment

amazing engine.

the 5.7 did not make sense to alot of 3500-4000 pound hot rodders. This engine was the answer.

long ratio, tigher durations, homogeny even with mistakes in the fuel or air or ignition.. the not so little engine wanted to go go go. I only heard one my whole life.. it did hit 10k rpms. There was even little 2 inch pipes hanging out the back, as if to be a tiny engine. It is another GM mystery to make disappear.. that and the 327.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X