Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Read: How American Open Wheel Racing Destroyed Itself

Re: Awesome Read: How American Open Wheel Racing Destroyed Itself

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

"Yeah. And then I heard you to told Tony, 'f--- 'em,'" I said. "And that was it."
      Can someone explain to what Hinton is trying to say?

Comment

My opinion: that's a truly great read, and it lays out plenty of facts - but it couldn't be more biased in Tony George's favor.

The author fails to point out one critical thing as he builds the tension to the George - vs. "CART" fight: "CART" (which is basically EVERYONE involved in open wheel racing except for Tony George) were the ACTUAL PEOPLE WHO BUILT THE SPORT INTO WHAT IT WAS.

At least Hinton accurately points out that Tony George was furious that he wasn't allowed a "voting" position on the board of directors, and that was the minute that George decided he was going to trash CART. Form my vantage point, George simply said "if you don't make me an equal big whig because I just inherited the most famous racetrack in the world, then screw you guys"

I don't like how the author spends MANY sentences describing (and minimizing) Tony George's upbringing, but spends only a few words talking about the Newman-Haas relationship, Roger Penske's involvement in building that series. This alone made me think "here we go again with another biased article on this much discussed topic" - newsflash, Tony George had ZERO to do with making US Open Wheel Racing what it was in the late 80s / early 90s. Newman-Haas, Penske - these guys poured fortunes into this sport to build it. and they did it AS A TEAM. I certainly do not read anything in this article that says Penske or Haas "had it out" for Tony George.

And if you grew up in Indiana, and attended the races in the late 80s and early 90s - then you knew a little more about the reputation of Mr. George. Put it this way: he's lucky that the media wasn't as scrutinizing as they are today! And, as someone who occasionally scrapes their elbows pretty deep - for zero bucks - in grassroots motorsports, I can identify with the possible feelings of the CART members who thought, "who is this kid who wants to tell us what to do, whose never worked as hard as we did at building this series?" OF COURSE they're going to have a problem with his "I deserve it" attitude!!

AJ Foyt is not just a Hulman-George family worshipper, he's got a pretty long history of getting in *anyone's* face - he's a hot head. Of course he likes supporting whatever sh!tstorm he can start.

So, anyways, my thoughts on this article - it's well written, but this guy is sucking up to Tony George way too much. Tony George wasn't "trying his best" to build up a sport - he was being a spoiled brat doing what he could to kill the fun because he didn't "inherit" the leadership position at CART.

Thoughts?
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

it was so wreckable
          open wheel went down ...because -----DALE EARNHARDT raced in nascar

Comment

I know jack-ass about the details of why/how/when this hole thing went to shit, so Hinton's account is all I have to go on for the most part. That being said, I agree 100% that Tony George was made out to be some sort of scion in this story and aside from his inability to walk on water (which was not mentioned, so maybe he can) Hinton really painted him as the second coming.

Hinton is good, one of the best ever, and I really think that as the next three installments come out, his hand will be more even. I'd be surprised if it doesn't pan out that way.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              I know jack-ass about the details of why/how/when this hole thing went to shit, so Hinton's account is all I have to go on for the most part. That being said, I agree 100% that Tony George was made out to be some sort of scion in this story and aside from his inability to walk on water (which was not mentioned, so maybe he can) Hinton really painted him as the second coming.

Hinton is good, one of the best ever, and I really think that as the next three installments come out, his hand will be more even. I'd be surprised if it doesn't pan out that way.

Brian
              don't get me wrong - I have a lot of respect for that author. It doesn't sound like the typical suckup blatant BS we read so often about this story.

I can't wait to read the rest - because the guy writes really, really good articles.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                it was so wreckable
                open wheel went down ...because -----DALE EARNHARDT raced in nascar
                NASCAR filled a void and was lucky it existed. When this was all going down, NASCAR was about as popular as the local Autocross.

Comment

The clandestine "help" NASCAR gave George was very interesting to me.

Would the Brickyard 400 have ever come to be without this split?
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

what void ? open wheel has been going downhill since the late sixties
                    Nascar still has the big TV contracts {and some popularity} in a depression era economy in 2010
                    too bad carpetbagger toyota is the only carmaker that is somewhat healthy in the manufacturers points

Comment

those winston cup cars are pretty boring at the brickyard

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        those winston cup cars are pretty boring at the brickyard
                        and every other track they race on. But hey, the feeble minded need simple things to keep them amused. NASCAR has it's place! :D

Comment

Well written but ...I still lay all blame for the destruction of open wheel racing at the feet of Tony "the take my ball and go home" George. One mans ego wrecks everyones sport, hope it was worth it Tony.

Comment

I have not missed a 500 since 1982. I fail to see how Tony George wrecks open wheel racing. When the split happened, who from CART went to the IRL that was so important that it ruined CART???? Anyone? Foyt? Oh wow. :
                            Road course racing ruined CART. Not Tony George.
                            If CART had all the important people, Penske, Haas, Ganassi, ect, it should have been able to stand up on it's own two legs. So then the Indy 500 is the only thing that CART lost.. That ruined open wheel? It's an oval folks.
                            Again, road racing ruined open wheel.
                            Also, the Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world. It's been here since 1911. Tony George had every right to want a vote on the CART board of directors. Kinda like an employee not getting a raise he deserves and moves on to start his own business. I've seen it lot's of times. It's the American way.
                            Someone gets slammed in the media, some people just remember that and don't let go. Oh well. We got George's sisters running the show now. We'll see how that goes. ;)

That being said, I'm headed to the track tomorrow with my camera. Hopefully I will report back with some cool shots.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyShiftman
                              So then the Indy 500 is the only thing that CART lost.. ... It's an oval folks.
                              Originally posted by IndyShiftman
                              Also, the Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world.
                              sorry to be argumentative, but - which is it? just an "Oval" ? or the "Biggest Race In The World?" I kinda agree it was the "biggest race in the world" because, well, it was! and I think it's more than clear, if you take away the one race in a series that is also considered "biggest in the world" guess what's gonna happen? no need to guess, we all saw exactly what happened. Nobody can say that Penske, Haas, or anyone inside CART at the time wanted to remove the Indy 500 from their series.... They were invited to leave by the track owner. How is that not Tony George's fault again?

Comment

Working...
                              X