Awesome Read: How American Open Wheel Racing Destroyed Itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Awesome Read: How American Open Wheel Racing Destroyed Itself

I didn't say just an oval. My point being, CART is mostly a road racing series. So they lose an oval race and then CART goes in the dumps. Tony had a vision of what more oval racing would be like. And I have to agree, high speed oval racing is way more exciting.
    So like any entrepreneur, he went in his own own direction trying to find what he was looking for. He has a right to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyShiftman
      So like any entrepreneur, he went in his own own direction trying to find what he was looking for. He has a right to do that.
      OK, so, playing along with that theme - why didn't he start IRL and schedule his races on OTHER dates? and why did he decide that the Indy 500 needed to go with his "new" series (which ended up a flop)? why not test out this fresh new idea and let the other guys still have their race?

Sorry, but I am just not getting how he didn't purposely screw it up for the other guys. It was widely publicized in 1995 that he demanded a seat on CART's board and didn't get one. No other track owners or promoters - that's what he was - had that kind of influence either. Sure, he has a right to do what he wants with his track - you know, the one Gramps gave him when he turned 30.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

He was a person who was in a position to do it. Whatever. Maybe he should have ran races during he winter months. : BTW, seems CART had to schedule the US 500 in Michigan the same date as Indy.

Anyway, they are all back together. He is gone. More and more road courses are being added. So everything should come back around and Indy Car will be successful. ;)
        Just my opinion.

Comment

How about a street course at Indy - with part of the brickyard being used - at least the start / finish line?

Why did penske fix up belle isle just to run one race a year?

I don't try to make sense of what multi - millionaire's do anymore.

I sure would like to see the old spirit of Indy return - allowing a variety of cars and some good old invention again.... I miss hearing how the different engines sounded as the cars came out and tried out thier tune ups on "carburetion day".
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I have no idea how one can think that "road courses" are what killed open wheel racing. Perhaps I am too simple.

I never remember hearing any of the CART founders proclaiming that they needed more roadcourse racing. I am pretty sure that, since these founders and their teams were kicked out of the Indy 500 mere weeks after Tony George was refused a voting position on the FIA board, they decided to race in Michigan as it was their only alternative to watching the greatest race on the planet, which they helped build, from the sidelines.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I just can't stop laughing when I hear the Indy 500 called the "Greatest race in the world", maybe back in the day when when it was an International event with drivers and cars from other parts of the world.
              Almost as funny as SNOOZECAR calling Daytona the "World center of racing". ;D

Comment

We can all agree Nascar is hugely successful. Out of 36 races they run, only 2 are road courses.

230mph wheel to wheel is a hell of a lot more intense racing than follow the leader hair pin turns at 90mph.

But anyway. Doesn't matter anymore. Tony is done so It's all history now. I admit. I'm a homer and love the IMS.

To me it's still the greatest. 33 cars lined up 11 rows of 3 wide at the start isn't like any other race. They run an average speed 220+ mph on a four corner flat track for 500 miles. Lose concentration for a split sec and it will ruin your day.. Rubbin is wreckin in Indy Car.
                And the history is unlike any other... I'll go in the IMS photo shop and spend hours just looking at old black and white pictures from 1910 and on.

Like I said. I'm a homer. I grew up here and listened to it on the radio as a kid. Got to go during the last of the snake pit days. The snake pit was party town.

Pole day tomorrow guys. You ought to check out the new format. I think it will be great.
                Tomorrow the top 24 will be set. The top 9 speeds of the day go back out at 4:30 and run for the pole.
                Use to be the fast laps were set early in the day or late because of track temps. But now the fast drivers will be running at the same time of day.

I'll be posting some pics from practice yesterday, later tonight.

Comment

While the IRL isn't nearly as exciting as it used to be, or should be, i will still be enjoying going to the race again this sunday. 33 cars at 220 mph is amazing. And the cars sound sweet, even if they are all honda engines.

Comment

Looks like the latest installment isn't quite so pro-Tony George this time...

Comment

I think what killed the Indy 500 is the fact it's nothing more
                      than open wheel IROC racing.

It's a spec series...
                      What happened to all the innovation?
                      To me that was the draw of Indy, cars and drivers from
                      all the world over, differing designs, new tech, etc...

The same thing is killing NASCAR.

My opinion...remember.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                        I think what killed the Indy 500 is the fact it's nothing more
                        than open wheel IROC racing.

It's a spec series...
                        What happened to all the innovation?
                        To me that was the draw of Indy, cars and drivers from
                        all the world over, differing designs, new tech, etc...

The same thing is killing NASCAR.

My opinion...remember.
                        Amen, brother.

Spec racing is killing racing. At least for me. The majority of interest I have in racing is the technology involved.

Indy needs to take a page from the Le Man series regulations. I'd love to see turbos, "stock blocks" and diesels all running for the prize. How about coupes and open cockpits.

As to the writer, the Tony George bias is grating, and the lack of any coverage of the titans of CART is frustrating. The third in the series is more about the author being slighted after writing about safety. Which has nothing to do about the rift. It is interesting to hear about the NASCAR skullduggery, and it does coincide with the rise of NASCAR to the national stage.

Prior to this rift, CART was an equal to F1 on the international stage. The best in the world ran open wheel in the USA. Compare that to today, where F1 castoffs run Camping World Trucks.

Comment

I printed all three articles and read them last night at work. It's a very interesting read. I wasnt' paying much attention to either racing leagues so I didn't know much about what was going on. In the end, it looks as if the whole down fall of open wheel racing can be attributed to arrogance and ego driven decisions. Richard Petty learned a long time ago that without the fans, no one gets to race. Fans are everything. Drivers, teams, racing leagues, and sponsors better get that through their thick skulls soon are they all will be out of business.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

thats the problem -they got enough to race , but too much money makes it lame
                            maybe it should not be so much a spectator sport and more of a participant sport

which makes the drags so much better

Comment

I remember back in the day being Pissed off at George for being such and ass and for Penske being a stuck up pee pee...

Years down the road... I understand the requirement to bring the speeds down and to keep it interesting.... My opinion of the two men remains unchanged... ( they collectively did major damage to open wheel racing )

BUT as a promoter I'd have simply lowered the Cubic inch limit and taken the turbo's away.... and like Brian said.... past that you have to be able to drive it through a square in the brick wall....

l'm going to watch today.... cause I can....that simple...

Comment

Working...
                              X