Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barnstormin': It's All Fun and Games Until...Smash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': It's All Fun and Games Until...Smash!

Re: Barnstormin': It's All Fun and Games Until...Smash!

sad,, maybe if the driver knew how to use the brakes without locking them up.. he'd have stopped or been able to stear around it(car)
    bonus points for killing a toyota..
    so, kids, rule #1 learn how to modulate your brakes at the threshold of locking them up..
    the nose you save might be your one cars

Comment

Some of my buddies give me crap about going over "every nut and bolt" on the chevelle between races. I don't want to be the guy in the old car that falls apart or worse yet, has some type of system failure that causes a wreck/crash.

I try to pay 10xs the attention when driving either it or the camaro...still had a few close calls tho ...
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

funny thing with the brakes..
        the sight of a lockup enough to billow smoke.

the brakes aint working all the way around if you have a stiff pedal.

The previous statement is 75 years old and still stumps a modern day auto inspector....most will even call brakes that function a "sponge"..Why that is a messup by alot of mechanics is bewildering.

the bigger the car, the more that fluid has to travel. That master cylinder should eat at least half the pedal length. do not let modern brake mechanics fool your real time brakes. I even applied it to an old lightweight subaru -barely had back brakes for 20 years...all by oem, just like all my v8 cars.
        Get some advice for your tippy toed barely pressed brakes.. because that aint normal...and put those dumb mechanics in their place with a spongy pedal and four stoppers..there is one at each wheel believe it or not...2 of them barely work by factory. :
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yeah those panic situations sure do suck, particularly right after a little showing off. :-\ Brian, I think you described it perfectly, bringing 2.5 tons of iron to a stop in a hurry is a chore. I know, I own a 2.5ton land barge!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            Yeah those panic situations sure do suck, particularly right after a little showing off. :-\ Brian, I think you described it perfectly, bringing 2.5 tons of iron to a stop in a hurry is a chore. I know, I own a 2.5ton land barge!
            non power 4 wheel drums make it even more eventfull

Comment

Mark, if you drive up 18 through Abington (headed toward Weymouth) look at the road just past Elite Auto (the used car dealership on the corner of Oak st) that's where it all went down.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

how,, there isn't a blind hill..
                guess he didn't make it to the ale house..
                or was he going the other way..
                sucks, tho..
                as long as everyone was ok.. the car can be fixed..
                maybe he'll buy the buick vert, a 100 yards from there just over the weymouth line..

Comment

Panic stopping an old barge like that requires skill, quick thinking and a bit of luck. Once the brakes lock up and the car starts skids, you are basically along for the ride. Instinct is to push harder on the brake pedal and steer the wheel, but nothing will come of it. It's a shame about the end of a day of cruising ended this way, especially for the lady in the other car.

In my last accident with the Impala, a lady turned left in front of me and I hit the brakes, they locked, the car skidded and I was headed for an offset head on. Some how I managed to over come instincts and let go of pressure on the brakes allowing the turning tires to bite to get the car to turn. It worked and all that happened was a grazing blow down the side.

Here's a pic of the skid marks I left. About the middle of the intersection, you can see the slight turn. It was enough.

Brian, you forgot to mention if you got propane and saved yourself from a glowering wife.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Shockingly, Plan B came through and I bought some at the shadiest gas station in town. They may have half filled the thing but at that point I didn't care...the steak was getting cold, and my wife was getting hot!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Shockingly, Plan B came through and I bought some at the shadiest gas station in town. They may have half filled the thing but at that point I didn't care...the steak was getting cold, and my wife was getting hot!

Brian
                      I cook steaks 4 minutes a side. Shouldn't take much propane. I grill so much I have an extra propane tank, and also use a charcoal grill for the BEST results.

Comment

Damn shame about the Chrysler, glad the little old lady wasn't hurt. That could have been a lot worse.

There's a lot to be said for living out in the country tho. Not much out here to hit 'cept for the occasional stray cow. Just plenty of open road.

Comment

I'm glad the little old lady was not hurt too badly, but here is the question that is nagging me: Why was she stopped? was she at a stop sign, or just sitting in the middle of the road doing nothing? I ask this because my buddy totalled his car and the one he hit when some idiot stopped in front of him on the entrance ramp to the interstate. He was accelerating and checking his mirrors and blind spots and ran straight into her. There wasn't even any other traffic, she just stopped to make sure she could pull into the interstate. People do stupid things in cars, including coming to a dead stop or slamming on the brakes for no reason.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Good call on the clarification -- she was waiting for another car to make a left.

Comment

I wondered what those tracks in the street were from.

Comment

Working...
                              X