Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Shocking: Bobby Rahal Thinks that Vintage Racing Could be Popular

Re: Not Shocking: Bobby Rahal Thinks that Vintage Racing Could be Popular

Well..dragrace is one thing..Wouldnt US need a bigger historic racing event for road race fans.??.Isnt there more action and participiants at Goodwood than the biggest historic racing events in the US..?.

How about let the Nascar circus drive older cars from lets say..1965-1980 ;D

Comment

Steve Earle and the Monterey Historics proved vintage racing has popular appeal. The Vintage Racing Association and a couple other vintage racing outfits manage to put on quite a few races around the country. All it would take it some good promotion and "viola!" - making money off the old iron and having a good time.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
        Wouldnt US need a bigger historic racing event for road race fans
        I've not been to goodwood but the SVRA race at Mid-Ohio draws a good crowd and amazing cars. There are several big vintage road races in the US like the monterey historics mentioned in the article and a handful of sanctioning bodies like SVRA, HSR, or VARA... unfortunately, they're smaller organizations that do it for fun... what the sport really needs is an infusion of big money and hollywood mainstream attention. That'll be great for the sport and enthusiasts like us since ticket prices and paddock access will probably be better, right?

I was lucky enough to go to the Monaco vintage GP a few years ago and the car count was mind boggling but there's no real way to make money at it... The billboards are all up because F1 is the next weekend but the vintage stuff is just something rich guys and retired racers do for fun. Imagine that, people just out there having fun and driving these historic machines in anger so that the sounds and smells aren't lost to this generation. That'd suck. I think we need reality t.v. shows about it and E! to do some behind the scenes interviews. Maybe we can mash up some of these machines in the name of ratings.

At least vintage motorcycle racing is obscure enough that Hollywood will keep it's nose out of something I love. :
        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
          Originally posted by Blazerteam
          Wouldnt US need a bigger historic racing event for road race fans
          I've not been to goodwood but the SVRA race at Mid-Ohio draws a good crowd and amazing cars. There are several big vintage road races in the US like the monterey historics mentioned in the article and a handful of sanctioning bodies like SVRA, HSR, or VARA... unfortunately, they're smaller organizations that do it for fun... what the sport really needs is an infusion of big money and hollywood mainstream attention. That'll be great for the sport and enthusiasts like us since ticket prices and paddock access will probably be better, right?

I was lucky enough to go to the Monaco vintage GP a few years ago and the car count was mind boggling but there's no real way to make money at it... The billboards are all up because F1 is the next weekend but the vintage stuff is just something rich guys and retired racers do for fun. Imagine that, people just out there having fun and driving these historic machines in anger so that the sounds and smells aren't lost to this generation. That'd suck. I think we need reality t.v. shows about it and E! to do some behind the scenes interviews. Maybe we can mash up some of these machines in the name of ratings.

At least vintage motorcycle racing is obscure enough that Hollywood will keep it's nose out of something I love. :
          I think you might need surgery to get that tongue out of your cheek!

I really enjoy the one or two SVRA events I get to every year. I'd hate to see that change much.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Love the cars, can't stand the people.

Rahal is about 30 years behind the curve on this one.

Comment

There is nothing new under the sun.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Working...
              X