• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddly Appealing Site of the Week: HouseTrucks.com

Re: Oddly Appealing Site of the Week: HouseTrucks.com

Wait!!! Doesn't Beagle have a bus?

BANGSHIFT HOUSE TRUCK!!!

Ours will have to have a fold out garage thing like a Top Fueler trailer and 220V electrics for the welder and compressor. Engine hoise on the back with an assembly room in the rear maybe?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

It strikes me that these HouseTrucks and the old CarHaulers had more in common than you'd think at first glance.

Hmmm....
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The site and Wikipedia article is all information I expect to be spending much of my evening with tonight. Best get a six-pack on the way home...

Does anyone remember Stan Midgley or Don Cooper? These guys would putt around filming travelogues and then show them to church/college audiences in the '50s - '70s. These featured an amateurish style, live narrating, and lots of goofy sight gags. As a child I saw what I believe was a Midgley one where he was travelling in a Model T-cabbed truck with a good-sized wood-shingle house built on the back.

The crackup was that it towed a matching outhouse behind.

I can't find any pictures, it's said the films were never "released", as such. Midgley (a chemist and Princeton graduate who switched to making these movies) died in 2000.

Comment

kso4...you just made my entire month!!!!! My Dad insisted that we watch the travelogues on the George Perrot show every day at 4:30 on WDIV Detroit. Stan Midgely was always a must. We never missed a show! The funny tricks he would pull with an old 16mm wind-up camera were outstanding. His delivery was hilarious, and left a permanent impression on my life. Thanks for remembering!

Comment

Working...
          X