No announcement yet.

Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

Re: Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

I think the new 9C1 Caprice will be a hit, especially when they come up for auction. The Charger cop cars are typically going for double the price of a comparable Crown Vic. Ford will regret their decision to use the Tarus instead of coming up with a new rear-drive platform.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Re: Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

Seats sculpted for gun belts, Slealth Mode on the lights, MPH recorded digital display on steering wheel control when following another vehicle, NO OnStar, Traction Control deactivated when "police performance mode is engaged". Fuel economy: TBO,

Looks like they may be governed at 130mph. I was wondering if they were going to get a displacement on demand, but it looks like no (do any 6.0L have it?).
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If DPD morning shift get 'em, they'll be in the junkyards sooner than later ... LOL!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

The flip rate on these will certainly be faster in some places than others. Where I used to work, we covered 314 square miles with no more than 6 cars per shift. 250+ miles in one shift was not unheard of, and we went over 300 on a few occasions that saw us running from one end to the other and back. The department's policy at that time saw them taking a hard look at retiring equipment after 100,000 miles, which meant that a car might last 9-14 months on patrol before it went off to the auction lot.

A friend of mine who is a Fleet salesman for Ford and accordingly a shameless Fordophile and I talked about these cars and he tried to convince me that EcoBoosted Taurii were going to be as durable on street duty as a RWD Caprice. I am going to guess that the per unit pricing at the fleet level will not even be close, unless Ford wants to loss-leader the hell out of a twin-turbo, AWD product for the sake of exposure.

Comment

I don't think they can expend the energy to do that. Only shame is that Chevy is not releasing the Caprice to the public. I've driven the Middle East versions, and it flat rocks.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Oy, I want one... baaaaaaaad! :o

I would have still been giddy to see the 5.3 in the Caprice paired with the 6L80. But, daayummn! They went right for the 6.0... ;D

I'm not too fond of the Chargers and I could easily see the new Caprice dominating the fleet market. Bamfster, or any of our law enforcing BANGshifters out there have any feedback on the Chargers? Most I've come across are optioned only with the 3.5L V6, bleh.

To me, the fleet vehicles from the Big Three are the only real muscle cars left in production. There's no BS in way, the car is built to last, lots of delete options and it usually has a gnarly V8 for motor-vation.

People are going to have to think twice about messing with this new Caprice, lol. To be honest, I don't think the old Panther platform Crown Vic can/could compete at all with the new Caprice. The new Taurus better be as good as Ford is touting it to be or else they can kiss their cash-cow goodbye!

I think I've just found a worthy sucessor to my P71 Crown Vic, hopefully we'll get them in Quebec (or nearby Ontario) so I can eventually buy another police pack!

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              I was wondering if they were going to get a displacement on demand, but it looks like no (do any 6.0L have it?).
              Edit: looks like DOD is in the packaged, it's called Active Fuel Management in the brochure. It'll be interesting to see what the actual fuel economy ratings will be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
                I was wondering if they were going to get a displacement on demand, but it looks like no (do any 6.0L have it?).
                Edit: looks like DOD is in the packaged, it's called Active Fuel Management in the brochure. It'll be interesting to see what the actual fuel economy ratings will be like.
                I saw the active fuel management and thought it had to do with being able to run various blends of E85, since reports are it's notoriously variable, plus switching between gas and E85 in the same tank.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nope, AFM is what GM calls the system. Same moniker on the Monte's 5.3.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
                    Oy, I want one... baaaaaaaad! :o

I would have still been giddy to see the 5.3 in the Caprice paired with the 6L80. But, daayummn! They went right for the 6.0... ;D

I'm not too fond of the Chargers and I could easily see the new Caprice dominating the fleet market. Bamfster, or any of our law enforcing BANGshifters out there have any feedback on the Chargers? Most I've come across are optioned only with the 3.5L V6, bleh.

To me, the fleet vehicles from the Big Three are the only real muscle cars left in production. There's no BS in way, the car is built to last, lots of delete options and it usually has a gnarly V8 for motor-vation.

People are going to have to think twice about messing with this new Caprice, lol. To be honest, I don't think the old Panther platform Crown Vic can/could compete at all with the new Caprice. The new Taurus better be as good as Ford is touting it to be or else they can kiss their cash-cow goodbye!

I think I've just found a worthy sucessor to my P71 Crown Vic, hopefully we'll get them in Quebec (or nearby Ontario) so I can eventually buy another police pack!

The Michigan State police officers I spoken to like em(Chargers), when they aren't broke.
                    Problem is, they don't stay unbroken very long.

Comment

Silly me, I forgot the Caprice (actually a Holden Statesman) will be imported from Australia. A quick trip to Holden's fleet vehicle website and all the OE tech data is there!

The 6.0L with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is apparently rated at average of 12.6L/100km (~18.7mpg). That is pretty damn impressive considering this weighs 4000 lbs and has 360hp/390 lb-ft of torque :o

For comparison, I average 13.5L/100km (17.4mpg) in my '02 Crown Vic with its 230hp 4.6L.

Originally posted by min301
                      The Michigan State police officers I spoken to like em(Chargers), when they aren't broke.
                      Problem is, they don't stay unbroken very long.
                      lol :D

Comment

not bad

at my old job at a ford dealer we had a contract with the local PD and state PD so we worked on all there cars event he chargers.

the chargers are faster then the CV they drive better. but the CV is just so reliable

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
                          not bad

at my old job at a ford dealer we had a contract with the local PD and state PD so we worked on all there cars event he chargers.

the chargers are faster then the CV they drive better. but the CV is just so reliable
                          I did too, at Signature Ford. I didn't find the new Chargers to be
                          any, if much faster that the CV's.
                          Not to mention the Chargers are not reliable, at all.

Comment

GM's Active Fuel Management can make a pretty big difference in mileage numbers. If I am driving around town with a heavier-than-most foot, I get about 16-19 MPG average. If I am on the highway, using cruise, and being careful, I have gotten as high as 31 MPG with the A/C on to Las Vegas.

Comment

Glad to know I wont have problems getting parts for my G8 now.

Comment

Working...
                              X