No announcement yet.

Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

From what I understand, police depts don't like fwd cars simply because they drive differently in pursuit situations and require retraining officers to the differences.

GM will sell them to the public if enough people go into dealers and demand them. I'm thinking they are skirting some emissions laws and CAFE standards by only selling them to police departments.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Re: Revealed: What the Chevy Caprice Cop Cars Will Look Like, Link to Tech Manual

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      I'm thinking they are skirting some emissions laws and CAFE standards by only selling them to police departments.
      I hadn't thought about that. I was reading elsewhere that the 3.6L LLT V6 (DOHC with direct injection and VVT) will be available as an option for the Caprice police pack. With 302hp and 272lb-ft of torque, it should still be a decent performer while maintaining respectable fuel economy (it makes the new Camaro go pretty good!). I'm not sure if this option is there in part to satisfy emission and CAFE standards or to offer a fuel-thrifty option for fleets. hmmmm

edit: looks like the 3.6 LLT is an option in other GM product lines to meet CAFE standards, perhaps this is also why it will also be included as an option in the Caprice. Regardless, still a bitchin' engine... I just wish they hadn't killed the 4.5L V8 Duramax :'(

Comment

why waste time on no profit - low bid cars
        oh wait -GOVERNMENTAL MOTORS
        profits are so last decade

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
          I think the new 9C1 Caprice will be a hit, especially when they come up for auction. The Charger cop cars are typically going for double the price of a comparable Crown Vic. Ford will regret their decision to use the Tarus instead of coming up with a new rear-drive platform.
          no doubt. For about 7 years, I was wondering where IRS was, shallow offset... rack and pinion is finally there..

this looks quite familiar to a quarter century ground pounder...

yes. That is a subaru with unbreakables... :
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X