Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA Announces Rule Changes In the Name of Safety for Four Classes

Re: NHRA Announces Rule Changes In the Name of Safety for Four Classes

Lots of people want to heap blame at the netting that caught Nivers at the end of the track, but at base, the parachutes tearing off the car set the whole chain of events in motion. Had they not failed, we wouldn't be talking about any of this.
    Brain, I am going to have to take issue with this. Sure, the nets wouldn't matter if the chutes failed, but they are there in case they do. It's a layering of protection to make sure if one system fails, another is there to take it's place. It's clear that the nets don't work very well, if at all. There has got to be a better solution, be it a longer run off area, better brakes (as mentioned) or secondary chutes. Perhaps someone could come up with a better net that slows cars down rather than make them STOP. Maybe all cars should have an aerodynamic (as in mechanical) brake as well. And I hate to say it since I want every racer to go home alive at the end of the day, but racing is and should be dangerous(but not on purpose). That's why Ernest Hemingway said the only real sports are mountain climbing, bullfighting and automobile racing because there is a chance you might die. All the rest are just games.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

I've watched the crash video over and over, and I have seen a few car firsthand go into the net. My totally unprofessional opinion is that Niver not only had a mechanical failure with the 'chutes, but also when he went into the nets (car folded). The NHRA wants to add this and that in an effort to make it safer, but the fact is, when the speed increases more shutdown area is required.

I think this latest one is truly just a freak accident ... the moon and the planets were aligned just right.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

carbon fiber brakes?

have they not watched real world and parts and wheels? it is as twisted as a honda big little midget fairy tale.

if carbon fiber was so tough, why aren't truckers hauling 50,000 pounds on two carbon fiber rails?

Steel is the only winner. This carbon kick is gonna fail. <- call it a prophecy. >
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
          carbon fiber brakes?

have they not watched real world and parts and wheels? it is as twisted as a honda big little midget fairy tale.

if carbon fiber was so tough, why aren't truckers hauling 50,000 pounds on two carbon fiber rails?

Steel is the only winner. This carbon kick is gonna fail. <- call it a prophecy. >
          sorry boxer, but that's waaaaaay inaccurate.

Carbon-carbon brakes are all the streamliners at bonneville use too. Because they can keep working under ridiculous heat. The truckers aren't using them for a number of reason: Cost, the fact that they have 10 axle ends and not 4, and they don't mind the weight of steel brakes. Carbon fiber brakes are, and will remain, the best method for these guys to slow down from ridiculous speeds.

And, regarding whatever the hell you're talking about "Honda big little midget" - I tuned a Honda S2000 that made 600whp on a stock longblock. Wanna meet us halfway, say Chicago, for a little action? bring all three of those main bearings!
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yeah, what he said....Carbon brakes work really well with heat, you have to actually tug the brake a little on the burnout so you can stop when you're done, if you don't you'll just keep rolling. Compared with steel brakes that you can pump a little when they get hot, carbon brakes must have a nice steady pressure, if you pump them the car will start bouncing and a TAD can cover a lot of ground quickly in the air. The hotter they get the better they work.
            Usually the chutes are attached just behind the anti-rotation bracket on the rear end, but seeing as how Mark made his own rear-end housing I don't know they way it was on his car. The parachute loops can get covered with 90w oil after a while and clutch dust sticks to them, so your first instinct is to spray a little brake cleaner on them to clean them off. After a while they deteriorate. The bracket itself is usually attached with two 1/2" bolts, I think if everything is regularly maintained it's a totally adequate set up.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

As far as shutdown - has anybody bothered to look at the track layout? If you did, you'd see there is about 230' of sand trap, then a corner of the road race course, then a corner wall. No way to extend the shutdown. I would think that some seed arresting device - think aircraft carrier landing - could help the net in that location. Compare the Motorplex, which has about 600' of trap at the end.

Over all that, I think there were just two bad problems - the loss of the chutes and the chassis folding up. Bad things just stacked up too much maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon67
                As far as shutdown - has anybody bothered to look at the track layout? If you did, you'd see there is about 230' of sand trap, then a corner of the road race course, then a corner wall. No way to extend the shutdown.
                This being my hometown track, I know all of the straights and corners really well. In fact, the land the track is on is really impressive.

As you can see, the shutoff area runs into turn 2. Beyond that is where off-road track for motorcycles used to be. That has been converted into a parking area that could easily be turned into more run-off area. Additionally, the launch pad can be moved back a ways because of the really long straight staging area behind it. In fact, people have been hurt by flying tire chunks while waiting in the staging area. Hundreds of feet could be added to the run off area.

And for those of you with google earth, here's a link:

Comment

Actually just remembered that the entire track is going to be reworked.

Here is what the new owners want to do with it.

1 Drag Strip: New drag strip to run North-South which eliminates late-afternoon sun problems, directly across from the new facility entrance to allow easy access for racers and fans. Lowered 25 feet to help with noise abatement.

2 Drag Strip Pits/Parking: Fully-paved pits and parking located directly adjacent to the drag strip.

3 Gas Station: Full-featured gas station located directly adjacent to the drag strip facility.

4 Shift Kart Track: World-class, multi-configurable shift kart facility, lowered 25 feet to assist in noise abatement.

5 3/8-Mile Paved Oval Track: The paved oval track and grandstand facility capable of hosting sprint and short-track stock car racing events.

6 Oval Track Pits:

7 Fire Station/Care Center: Fully-equipped with state-of-the-art firefighting and emergency medical care equipment.

8 Road Course Paddock/Cold Pit Garages:

9 300-Foot Skid Pad: For driver education and photographic purposes.

10 Driving School Buildings/Autocross Area:

11 Spectator Bridge: Constructed over the road course which will allow easy fan access to all parts of the road course facility, even during racing sessions.

12 Club House and Office Complex: All-new offices and club house facility with restaurants.

13 Motorsports Business Complex: Over 500,000 square feet of commercial and industrial facilities.

14 Hospitality and Education Centers:

15 Super Speedway: Proposed future high-speed banked tri-oval will attract NASCAR racing events.

16 2.25-Mile Road Course: FIA certification of the road course, capable of attracting NASCAR, IRL and CART racing events.

17 Motocross Facility:

18 Permanent Racer Garages:

19 Access Tunnels: Constructed underneath the road course to allow easy vehicle and spectator access to all parts of the road course facility, even during racing sessions.

Comment

brian 2001 was a few years ago

Comment

Personally, I think the tracks that can expand, need to do so, and obviously I haven't been to all of the tracks. But my home track, Bandimere, has plenty of room to lengthen the shut down area. When the rules were changed addressing the sand trap/net/etc after Kallitta's death, they actually shortened the shut down to make the rules fit (although Bandimere is unique in that it has a rather steep uphill shutdown area). They claim was that it would have been too expensive to expand the run off (real estate is not a problem up on the mountain). Here you have a track that makes $$$ hand over fist all summer long but is not willing to re-invest some of that back into the facility. Oh yea .... the area on the other side of the sand and net is where they make the guys that actually drive their cars to the track pit during the bigger events. All the jets/fuelers/headliners get all the primo spots ...
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

the fabricated , rear axle housing broke , I would expect some changes on this front as that's where the chutes are mounted
                        niver was a genius , built everything himself and may he rest in peace

Comment

Honestly....no real changes needed....It is quite an adequate set up. Most guys have carbon brakes anyway, and I've heard and worked on cars with steel brakes....Yes they squeal at the end, but they worked.
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                          X