Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallery: Dirt Track Insanity From Battleground Speedway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallery: Dirt Track Insanity From Battleground Speedway!

Re: Gallery: Dirt Track Insanity From Battleground Speedway!

This is where NASCAR will return to in about 50 years.

If we can imagine action like that found at Battleground is considered "major leagues of dirt" (that which are accessible by regular folk and ignoring USAC and WoO for a moment)... then I would like to submit Michigan Figure Eight racing as the respectable holder of a "minor league" classification. Neither title, I hope you'd agree, would disparage either entity.

I've assembled my pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackpine/sets/7132/taken at events organized by the most BangShift-like, non-web entity, USA Figure Eight and Demo Derby. They sanction and promote Michigan-only figure eight, demo derby and their new "enduro" events (which arose out of the declining number of suitable RWD GM platforms).

In my experience this is THE MOST humble and authentic type of motorsports action save for a mini bike race between kids on your block.

Munger, Michigan's annual Potato Festival is this weekend. I am going to eat a pantleg full of chicken in Frankenmuth and save a huge row in the bleachers for my pals and their wives to sit, get pelted with dirt and rocks and scream for joy as the Chevelle sponsored by the local deli takes A-main.

Comment

DIRT rules!!! I miss this so, so much. I think I've mentioned elsewhere in the forums that I crew'd with a dirt Street Stock car team in Southern Ontario for the 2003 season, and it was an absolute blast. Got to drive a mechanic's race and a non-points, post regular season race. There is nothing like sawing on the steering wheel, rubbin' fenders, having dirt nuggets pelt your helmet, hands and chest, and listening to the roar of 15-20 open-headered small blocks coming out of 2 and 4. Nothing.

I long so much to do it all again, but with a Buick 350. I've had it planned out in my head for years since the end of that 2003 season. It would absolutely kill coming out of the turns at both of the the local 3/8 milers.

Those are some stellar photos there, and they capture the atmosphere of a typical dirt track evening rather well. That Malibu wagon is the shiznit. Unfortunately, our local rules ban wagons.

NASCAR needs 3 or 4 late model dirt track stops on its schedule.

Comment

heres a bit of history, the battle of san jacinto took place in that area, the battle where santa was captured after what he did at the alamo

thus the reason why its called BATTLEGROUND

The Battle of San Jacinto, fought on April 21, 1836, in present-day Harris County, Texas, was the decisive battle of the Texas Revolution. Led by General Sam Houston, the Texas Army engaged and defeated General Antonio L?pez de Santa Anna's Mexican forces in a fight that lasted just eighteen minutes. About 700 of the Mexican soldiers were killed and 730 captured, while only nine Texans died.[2]

Santa Anna, the President of Mexico, was captured the following day and held as a prisoner of war. Three weeks later, he signed the peace treaties that dictated that the Mexican army leave the region, paving the way for the Republic of Texas to become an independent country. These treaties did not specifically recognize Texas as a sovereign nation, but stipulated that Santa Anna was to lobby for such recognition in Mexico City. Sam Houston became a national celebrity, and the Texans' rallying cries, "Remember the Alamo!" and "Remember Goliad!" became etched into American history and legend.
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Dirt track racing is alive and well in eastern and central Pennsylvania. If you're a sprint car racing fan (and if you aren't, you'll become one) you can enjoy both winged and non-wing racing at some great 1/2 mile tracks including Williams Grove, Port Royal and Susquehanna. Short track folks can still see the real deal at Big Diamond, Lincoln and Grandview. It's a summer symphony.

Comment

Working...
          X