Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incredible Historic Drag Video: Ten Minutes of the 1959 March Meet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible Historic Drag Video: Ten Minutes of the 1959 March Meet!

Re: Incredible Historic Drag Video: Ten Minutes of the 1959 March Meet!

After almost dying in the late 80's/Early 90's I'm glad the MARCH MEET hasn't gone the way of DRIVE-IN Burger joints ....Speed Shops.....and bare knuckle brawling......

Brian......get me a mailing adress and I'll burn you an hour long DVD of 50's....60's.....and 70's home movies of Drag Racing in Central Calif.... Raisin City.... Visalia....Madera Airport....FAMOSO (1959 MARCH MEET INCLUDED).
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Brian, I have written a book where the March Meet 1 in 1959 is the main player. It is called "Three Weeks in March". Dave Wallace is a big fan of the book and it can be purchased on his HRN web site.

I showed the clip to Garlits and here is what he told me. " First, there were no grandstands in 1959. And only three guys had top mounted blowers at MM1 in 1959....Art Chrisman, Gary Cagle and Bobby Langley. I saw Art Malones yellow car so it was had to be 1963."

Comment

Killer!
        I'll be scoring a copy to put on my reading list.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Pretty cool video,love this old stuff. Keep em coming! Interesting though, filmed in 1959, at about 5:24 into the vid it seems there are 2 cars running that weren't even built yet. Hard to really get a good look, but they may be like a 62 Nova and a 62 or so Fairlane. Maybe I'm seeing things?

Comment

Not to be critical, I think this video is from the early-mid 60's. All you have to look at is the bodies on the dragster's, etc. There is also not a shot of Art Chrisman's "Hustler 1" which won the meet. I think I saw Art Malone's car several times which won the Winternationals the first year there was fuel alloowed 1963-64(Ithink. Maybe brain cells are dead!). Look at the scoop. It is easy to see. I also saw some Dragmaster chassis and a lot of Kent Fuller type designs which were not prevalent in 1959. There are also a few shots of the "Freight Train" which won Pomona in '63. I was at that one. My first Winternationals.Please correct me if I'm wrong. It is just an observation. I love the old stuff. I need to have some 8mm videos I shot at Lion's in the early 60's with an 8mm put on DVD so I can send and you can see. They are not the best but what do you expect for a 13-14 year old!!!! If I remember to do, you all will be the first to receive. That way you can criticize my work!!! Long Live the good old days!!!

Comment

Working...
            X