Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Danger of Collapsing Under It's Own Financial Weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Danger of Collapsing Under It's Own Financial Weight?

Re: Is Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Danger of Collapsing Under It's Own Financial Weight?

They need to have truck & tractor pulls, sprint car racing and sporting clay shoots....

It is, afterall, Indiana.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Re: Is Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Danger of Collapsing Under It's Own Financial Weight?

They might want to work with the hotel's in the area (area being 100 miles out)
      as people right now can not afford the 3 night min. stay on top of the race tickets and everything that goes with it...
      the track tickets are only part of the problem.... and the hotel min stay is a bigger one..

Comment

Hey, if they did paint the front stretch with several layers of good bite, I might consider coming down to watch a good truck and tractor pull.

Is there much of a bank to the front stretch? Could they have 1/8 mile drags down the front?

Monster trucks? Sounds sacrilege, but, hey, as of the present, I don't have a good reason to visit the track.

Comment

Ya' know, there IS a golf course on the property...

What about using some of the infield to carve out a bike racing course for the crotch rockets? Do it the same way that Daytona does: utilize a portion of the regular paved track and incorporate a series of turns and chicanes into the infield area. It could become the new "Bike Week of the Midwest". There are enough enthusiasts in the heartland that it could very conceivably turn into a $ maker for the track. Plan an entire week of events and make it a vacation destination. The city of Speedway (the city where the track is located) has already announced that they are in the beginning phase of a multi-million $, multi-year effort to transform the area around the track into something that will draw crowds instead of repulsing them!

I think that this could be quite viable. Obviously, impact studies, cost projections and the like would need to be done, but I believe that this could help turn the tide!

Comment

I would say that dump has been leveraged several times over

Comment

NASCAR sucks at Indy. May as well watch turtles race.

Comment

I have been to both of the last two Formula 1 races there. (before they turned their nose up at us but i don't blame them). The area around the track is horrible, bad hotels, bail bonds shops, and liquor stores galore. But what track is close to town? They have to be out in the boondocks so they don't shut down by churches and suburbanites. But INDY is so large its almost no fun. You can't see half of whats happening. So for a Cup race its boring.

Comment

The events at the IMS (and IRP, now ORP) were always about the total experience, not just the on track events. If you know what I am talking about....you know what I am talking about, ;D It was the melting pot of American society. I remember going into the Biker camp and admiring a Harley and being allowed a "sit". I bounced lightly on the seat, swayed side to side and remarked that the bike was heavy. "Thanks Man", was the reply followed by a pat on the back. ???

I figured out that heavy in bikerease translated to Awesome in my culture. Anyone who was there could go for hours telling stories...oh and by the way, the best drivers in the world were on track pushing the most advanced cars in the world to the edge of life and death, a familiar voice announcing "It's a new track record." And the price of admission started at Free! The gates were opened to the whole community and they...and it, was all there.

Now the the track is full of sheepeople watching sheepeople drive league (phony) cars under the ever controlling, greedy sheepherders.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    Bingo!!

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                      Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      Bingo!!
                      Actually, IMS is very solvent, even after Tony spent several hundred million trying prop up Indycar. IMS has never taken a penny in support from Indiana, Indianapolis, or Speedway Indiana, it has always payed it's own way. The Homan-George family has plenty of money and IMS is the family's life's work. The problem isn't IMS as much as it is NASCAR's. Their numbers are off everywhere and the current car is so aero dependent that it makes for a really bad show at the Speedway.

Comment

Working...
                      X