Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Feature: The Screamin' Demon Barn Found Super Stocker

Re: Mini-Feature: The Screamin' Demon Barn Found Super Stocker

I love that it's running a Thermoquad! Is that one of those 1000 cfm competition pieces?

Is there any indication how much the acid dipping affects sub-frames and overall structural integrity? Which is to say that I would think an acid dipped full frame car body after 30+ years would be one thing, and a unibody, another. It's amazing after 30+ years of corrosion that the car doesn't twist itself into a pretzel off the line.

Very cool barn find, and even cooler that it's made passes since.

Comment

This bring home memories... 4 years ago I sold my '72 Demon that ran I/SA after sitting in storage for 18 years... and 2500 miles away.. at least it went to a good home.

Comment

Is there anyway to get in contact with the writer of this story BRIAN LOHNES
        or
        the owner of the car..?
        i have a duster painted by the same (it has to be painted by same guy...the panel looked very similar)
        i would like a few pictures of this cars panel paint..?
        can someone help me out.?
        Jim Fox
        Acworth ...Georgia
        [email protected]

Comment

Just send him a PM on here
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by chryco63
            I love that it's running a Thermoquad! Is that one of those 1000 cfm competition pieces?

Is there any indication how much the acid dipping affects sub-frames and overall structural integrity? Which is to say that I would think an acid dipped full frame car body after 30+ years would be one thing, and a unibody, another. It's amazing after 30+ years of corrosion that the car doesn't twist itself into a pretzel off the line.

Only the removable front end parts - hood, front fenders, bumper - and often the doors are acid dipped. Nobody with even half a brain would even consider dipping the entire body.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster
              Originally posted by chryco63

Only the removable front end parts - hood, front fenders, bumper - and often the doors are acid dipped. Nobody with even half a brain would even consider dipping the entire body.
              And that answers my question perfectly! Thanks!

Comment

If the car were (I assume it is) both mechanically and structurally sound, I'd tune it, equip it with the proper safety gear, new tires brakes etc and race it again just as it is.

I like that "been there, done that" look. It's the most interesting thing about the car, it's obvious authenticity.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster
                  Nobody with even half a brain would even consider dipping the entire body.
                  They did in the Trans-Am series

Comment

A lot of pro stockers were completely dipped. Some they even put them in at an angle so that they quarters were full weight to help the car hook. In the you are building a complete cage and back halfing the car anyways, the unibody is not really structural anymore and just weight that is along for the ride.

A lot of super stockers were completely dipped also, and these ones did weird things due to the lack of reinforcement the simple roll bars gave. I have seen pictures of factory mopar race cars bucking in front of the rear wheels as they launch dated as early as 64'.

Comment

confused, the link says posted 1/8/11
                      but remember reading this months ago. and replys are from as far back as 8/10

Comment

I think some older features are brought back up on the weekends for re-reading, or first reading for newer members.

Comment

I re-run old content on the weekends. The CMS updates the published date on the front page. The story ran last summer originally.
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                          X