Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Cane Fail Video: Crane Drops Another Crane

Re: Epic Cane Fail Video: Crane Drops Another Crane

Looks like they had it rigged off-center.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

That's gonna leave a mark! As long as no one was hurt the rest is fixable. It happened sort of quickly so I'm not sure I caught it but I'm wondering if part of the rigging failed. This operation is done fairly often in the construction of big buildings so I'm pretty sure they know how to pull it off - assuming everything stays intact.

Dan

Comment

I'm just now learning to do certifications and inspections of cranes. They have many warnings and fail safes on modern cranes. However, they also all have an override for every warning buzzer.

Comment

I bet one of the clevis's were set up sideways and gave out. Sucks when that happens!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Epic CANE fail? You might have failed Mr. Lohnes... ;)

Comment

Damn you and your ability to read! :D

Title fixed on the blog. Thanks for the catch.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Epic Cane Fail Video: Crane Drops Another Crane

Something about dropping a million dollar piece of equipment that makes me laugh.

Notice the guy with the hard hat holding the rope. The hard hat isn't going to make a difference if that thing falls on him.

Comment

I'm defending a company whose crane came over... state says they should have had a rope on the load (like the dude with the rope in this video).... I should said them this video and ask them why they think a rope would have prevented the accident..... I also agree with the mis-rigged statement - bet the clevis failed because it was overloaded....

in short... whoops. ;D
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It looks to me that they had the cables hooked to the four out-riggers, and that the right rear out-riggers failed to carry the load, as it's still hanging from the cable, and not hooked to the crane anymore.
                    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

The clevices they were using looked kinda small for the load.....plus, notice how the right side is sagging more than the left.

I'm saying several things came into nplay here...the lift cables weren't strong enough to support that kind of load, and that spread bar looks inadequate as well.

I'm no "expert", but I did load/transport heavy machinery for a living at one time.....and I can tell ya there'd be no way in hell I'd have rigged/attempted to lift that big-ass crane withthe setup they were employing.

Yeah, the "lead rope" tied to it made me laugh.

Smoke

Comment

My two cents is still on improperly oriented clevices. I'd bet this move wasn't the first time any of these guys had done it (or may it was and that's why they were video'ing it....), and the orientation is easy to over look, even with an appropriately rated clevis. I think the sagging is an optical illusion created by the camera angle. I don't know any thing about spread bars.

**Our safety department has passed around heavily distorted clevices from setting up with the wrong orientation while towing stuck loaded haul trucks out of mud holes and from lifting haul truck beds.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                        X