X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact or Fiction? The Man Who Owned (and Drove) His Rolls For 82 Years

Re: Fact or Fiction? The Man Who Owned (and Drove) His Rolls For 82 Years

I say, "Bravo!".

In that era of non-throwaway consumption, it was definitely not unheard of for an individual to keep most anything - be it a house, an appliance, clothing or a car - for as long as possible, making whatever repairs/improvements necessary to keep it in working/operational/wearable condition. For most folks, especially those that went through the Great Depression - my parents included, God rest their souls - it was the norm instead of the exception to make ANYTHING last as long as possible; at the time, one never knew if or when the opportunity to replace said item would present itself.

Since this gentleman appears to have come from a family of means, this may not have been the case. However, he could have had parents that knew well the value of a dollar and instilled that into their off-spring. If this were the scenario, then it would explain the overall condition and tremendous longevity of both man and machine!

I'm not at all surprised by this. My father and grandfather told me many stories of making things last til they were on their last leg or nearly threadbare in the effort to prevent the need to spend precious funds to replace the article in question. Money spent on a new shirt would be money no longer available to spend on food or housing costs. We would do well to adopt this mind-set once again!

Comment

he passed on in october 2005, not last year.

massachussetts has been a hot spot for every gold digging thief since the recovery of the great depression. My own old neighborhood was well to do...once upon a time. the pretenders step in, or obviously over dynamical to themsleves. Runaway unless you got a hideaway.

that got to me more than this guys conservative story. To think of the retarded fights involving our govl;t.. and then letting every repulsive part of humanity move on in...ridiculous.

I thought of a long term car in the 80s.. the last of the carbed engines. I am driving one now...23 years later.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Just a little pet peeve of mine, don't give Associated Content the traffic when they just regurgitated information from the Springfield museum, and had the link on their page. Just go directly to the museum page, and maybe mention Ass Content in the article as a source. Where is your journalistic integrity?

Comment

Originally posted by Parkwod60
          Just a little pet peeve of mine, don't give Associated Content the traffic when they just regurgitated information from the Springfield museum, and had the link on their page. Just go directly to the museum page, and maybe mention Ass Content in the article as a source. Where is your journalistic integrity?
          My pet peeve is some troll jumping onto a website only to complain about something he's seen on the website.

Although, I appreciate this troll jumping onto the website - he's proving why Springfield is the murder capital of the world... >
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
          X