Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': It's About the Show, Stupid

Re: Barnstormin': It's About the Show, Stupid

Brian, your comments about the IHRA and their new NitroJam format only show how long you HAVE NOT been around drag racing, or how little you have learned about the sport over the years. During the '60s, '70s and into the '80s, Top Fuel and Funny Car "shows" were the norm at tracks throughout the nation. Match races, booked-in shows, Chicago-style round-robin shows and independant events could be found three, four, even five nights a week during the summer months at midwest and east coast tracks. Yes, even at New England Dragway. During the '70s and '80s the AHRA used a booked-in 8-car format for both T/F and F/C with great success, both attendence-wise and profit-wise. Events like the "Olympics of Drag Racing" and the "World Series of Drag Racing" used a Friday nite match race/Saturday nite round-robin/Sunday booked-in eliminator show format successfully for well over twenty years each. Whadda ya think Norwalk's "Night Under Fire" is? A booked-in show, that's what. The reason that most of these "shows" disappeared was cost -- as the cost went up the track owners couldn't afford to book in the fuel cars anymore and the NHRA events became the primary game in town. It had nothing to with "legitmacy," it was all about affordability. Now with a "series" sponsor, the IHRA can book in cars for their NitroJam show and keep on packing the stands and their coffers, just like hundreds of track owners, operators and promoters did in years past. And the fans will come because it's their only chance to see fuel cars without attending an NHRA national event. Maybe you should be the one doing some research before you write a story as "stupid" as this one . . .

Comment

I agree with Brian. Try taking someone who has never been to a drag race to a bracket race. Then explain how the car who got to the finish line first lost. If IHRA can pack the place with paying customers, they will be able to book in a big show. If they are targeting people who are not hardcore fans, do you think they care if they're watching Tony Schumacher or Bobby Lagana? I'm guessing not. Both cars do burnouts, make noise and have flames in the pipes.

Comment

what is the big change for new england?

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by artdodge
          Brian, your comments about the IHRA and their new NitroJam format only show how long you HAVE NOT been around drag racing, or how little you have learned about the sport over the years. During the '60s, '70s and into the '80s, Top Fuel and Funny Car "shows" were the norm at tracks throughout the nation. Match races, booked-in shows, Chicago-style round-robin shows and independant events could be found three, four, even five nights a week during the summer months at midwest and east coast tracks. Yes, even at New England Dragway. During the '70s and '80s the AHRA used a booked-in 8-car format for both T/F and F/C with great success, both attendence-wise and profit-wise. Events like the "Olympics of Drag Racing" and the "World Series of Drag Racing" used a Friday nite match race/Saturday nite round-robin/Sunday booked-in eliminator show format successfully for well over twenty years each. Whadda ya think Norwalk's "Night Under Fire" is? A booked-in show, that's what. The reason that most of these "shows" disappeared was cost -- as the cost went up the track owners couldn't afford to book in the fuel cars anymore and the NHRA events became the primary game in town. It had nothing to with "legitmacy," it was all about affordability. Now with a "series" sponsor, the IHRA can book in cars for their NitroJam show and keep on packing the stands and their coffers, just like hundreds of track owners, operators and promoters did in years past. And the fans will come because it's their only chance to see fuel cars without attending an NHRA national event. Maybe you should be the one doing some research before you write a story as "stupid" as this one . . .
          Where in the column did I contest anything you have said?

The point of the whole thing is that there are an army of people out there shouting from the hill tops that the Nitro Jam series is not "real" drag racing and that "real" drag racing fans would abandon it in droves, as would the general public. So far that has not been the case.

All the stuff you're saying, I agree with! Well, except for the IHRA series sponsor, because they don't have one.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Of course it's about the show. Guys deeply involved think it's about them and the actual racing. Back up a little, take a hard look-- it is about the spectacle.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Not being a drag racing historian myself, I LOVED THIS ARTICLE!!

I agree 100%. It's about the show. It's when a sanction tries catering to the "hardcore" racers or fans, that things get screwed up. Look at NASCAR, and NHRA right now.

Bracket racing SUCKS OUT LOUD - it's for crybabies who think it only takes money to go fast!! (my opinion)
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

I agree 100%. It's about the show. It's when a sanction tries catering to the "hardcore" racers or fans, that things get screwed up. Look at NASCAR, and NHRA right now.

Bracket racing SUCKS OUT LOUD - it's for crybabies who think it only takes money to go fast!! (my opinion)
                in that case, build something,

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                  Originally posted by dieselgeek

in that case, build something,
                  I too think bracket racing sucks ... but sometimes I just have to suck it up to play ....

I'm with you 110% Brian, it's just too bad that IHRA doesn't head this far west. I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone that knows nothing about it go to the track for one of my series races, only to get confused/bewildered/etc. They inevitably ask "where's the dragsters"? referring to the fuel cars. On any given weekend, we'll be lucky to have 1500 people in the stands, but throw some fuel cars, jet cars or pro mods out there and its a packed house.

So, you're right, it is all about the show ... stupid!
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I agree Brian, NHRA needs to put the show back in The Show.
                    Perhaps there is a hybrid between the two IHRA and NHRA shows: I might suggest that NHRA tag their Top Fuel class as the single class to run a year-long championship, the winner of Top Fuel is crowned Drag Racing World Champion. Simple and focused. Any fan interested in following a championship battle - and all that it entails - has their product to connect with. Funny Car would become the leading show class. And without all of the performance constraints currently in place to create a level playing field, the flood gates for creativity, innovation, and full quarter-mile burnouts could return. Perhaps the fans could vote on their smart phones who they favor and declare a winner. And run them at night!
                    Perhaps a change in focus from performance to show would create the next generations of John Force and Jungle Jim, the men who built their popularity on putting on a show for the fans.
                    And I might suggest that all the other support classes for each event be as equally exciting and as individually branded as Top Fuel and Funny Car. Maybe there's a Gas class where the cars appear as stock as possible but they run the quarter at over 200mph. Maybe the next class up differentiates itself in that there's a big piece of engine sticking out with an air scoop on top. It makes a lot more noise and it goes over 250mph. And the third type of car looks somewhat like the previous one but there are huge flame coming out of it! And it goes almost 300mph. I'd stay in the stands for that!

Comment

it's always about the show..
                      to bad the people have double standards..
                      NASCAR did everything they did to bring the "show"
                      areo = , power = , plate races..
                      all for the show..
                      the fack yellow with 20 to go.. for the driver waterr bottle thats not gonna hit anything..
                      all for the show..
                      drag racing did it forever,,
                      and it's called good..
                      pro racing is a fine line.. they have to make the fans happy, and the big money thats paying for their name to be on the wall or the car..
                      cause FACE IT. without the big money ,you'd all be watching bracket racing..
                      as the pro's would be PARKED

Comment

Now with a "series" sponsor, the IHRA can book in cars for their NitroJam show and keep on packing the stands and their coffers, just like hundreds of track owners, operators and promoters did in years past.
                        I say you're not paying all that much attention, because if you did you'd know that IHRA has no series sponsor.

I've made a bunch of money this year with my 8 second 1/8 mile bracket car and 15 year old bitty engine. So I personally would not share your opinion on bracket racing. I believe you are talking about a majority of Top ET people. Footbrakers are the real deal.

Comment

The point, Brian, is that it doesn't matter what an army of bitchy little girls are shouting from anywhere, because they don't have a clue what they're talking about. What the Nitro Jam series represents today is what the majority of drag racing once was in this country. When Snake, Mongoose, Shirley, Garlits, Jungle Jim and the rest of the pros were running 45+ dates a year, only 10-12 of those were "legitimate" open qualified NHRA or IHRA national events. Everything else was a booked show. The pros didn't become pros racing national events -- they became pros by booking themselves into match races and 8-car shows.

So the question becomes this: What constitutes "real" drag racing? And the answer is simple: IT'S ALL REAL DRAG RACING.

Whether they paid an entry fee and qualified or got paid to show up, if they're racing side-by-side, it's drag racing. Simple as that. And if a bunch of whiny bitches can't appreciate or understand that, then who cares? It's their loss for not attending and missing a good show.

The notion that the fans won't show up is ridiculous. I'm a hard-core, life-long drag racing enthusiast that has raced his own cars, crewed on fuel dragsters and funny cars, and done a fair amount of spectating throughout the years. One thing that I have in common with all the other hard-core enthusiasts that I've know over the years is that if there's an opportunity to see fuel cars run, especially under the lights, I'M THERE!

So it's no surprise at all that the Nitro Jam events attract a huge crowd -- it's a chance to see fuel cars run at a local track! At night, with header flames! Heck yes the fans are gonna come, and in droves!

And to all of you morons out there who shouted that bracket racing sucks because a newcomer can't understand it, I've got news for you too. BRACKET RACING WASN'T DESIGNED FOR SPECTATORS -- IT'S DESIGNED FOR RACERS! Show me a track that relies solely on bracket racing to put fans in the stands and I'll show you a track that is out of business.

Comment

Well said Art.

I'm announcing the Nitro Jam at New England in a few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how the crowd is and how into it they are.

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brian:

That's the most finite way to learn if IHRA's new format works. Be there, announce it and see the crowd reaction.
                              And - like it or not - bracket racing has been the salvation of our sport.
                              Jon W. Lundberg, Sr., RETIRED

Comment

Working...
                              X